SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Lights and their 'Functions'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrelirwin View Post
Tried it out, checking in the reflection of the glass while in gear, no park break, and there are no lights....but you're saying THIS isn't suprising, but the fact I had all 3 lights running BEFORE is suprising?
If you pulled the DRL relay, seeing no lights on is not surprising.

Yes, seeing all lights on before IS surprising, if it was truly only the DRLs on.

Also surprising you didn't have a green light to indicate the DRLs were on. Unless it's something weird for Canadian models, all USA models have a light to indicate DRLs are active.

Maybe one of the other Canadian Vue owners might be able to shed some light on this.

Did you try the window test with the DRL relay installed? If that's the only thing that's changed, it would be easy to test. Even if you put the HIDs in, you could unplug them, reinstall the stock bulbs, and give it a try to see what happens.

My DRLs stay on in my '05 even when the parking lights are turned on by the switch. I'll see if I can get some pics of mine tomorrow, including the DRL indicator light on the instrument panel. I'll probably have to get someone to help me with this, since I don't have any windows around to do the other test. Unless.... they stay on while in neutral, but I can't remember...

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Does anyone know, on the relay (4 prongs- 30, 85, 86, 87) what prong controls what?

Similar to this thread...

http://www.saturnspot.com/showthread.php?t=25662
Since the thread is talking about bending a tab, it probably wouldn't hurt to bend 85 or 86 and see what happens.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
tyrelirwin
tyrelirwin is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

That sounds like a good plan, I'll have to give it a try.

Another thing I would like to try is SWAP the corner markers and signals,

so the signal illuminates in the corner marker spot. Should be pretty staight-forward if the connectors are similar.

Also, would love to figure out how to work a quad-light high-beam mod,

so that when the high beams are switched on, all FOUR lights come on.

So i need to find out how to STOP the low-beams from turning off when high-beams are selected.

Anyone know how this turns out? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93554

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyrelirwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyrelirwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyrelirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

I got some pictures of my DRLs today. The green light on the gauge cluster, as well as the lights that are on.

Note: ONLY the low beams are on. No other lights are on when the DRLs are activated.

(green DRL indicator in the gauge cluster)

(low beam at reduced power ONLY)

Like I said, maybe one of the other Canadian owners can shed some light, but this is proper function of the DRL system for the US VUEs. I, honestly, can't imagine the Canadian models are any different.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan, I'll have to give it a try.

Another thing I would like to try is SWAP the corner markers and signals,

so the signal illuminates in the corner marker spot. Should be pretty staight-forward if the connectors are similar.

So i need to find out how to STOP the low-beams from turning off when high-beams are selected.

Anyone know how this turns out? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93554
The bulb sockets are completely different between the parking (corner) lights and the turn/parking lights in the headlight cluster.

I'm pretty sure I saw a relay setup online (NAPA?) that allows all four lights to be on when you switch on the high beams. I know I saw it, but I can't remember for sure where... it is possible, from what I've seen. Running an HID setup, this would be less stressful on the low beams, I would think.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #26
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

I agree I should be less stress on the low's, also, the highs (HID) take a bit of time to warm up, so when I switch to them it is almost pitch black!

Also, the more light the better!

And as for the signal swap, I may have to get creative.

Can you snap a pic of your relay(pulled)?

Mine says 'made in Canada' so maybe it's different.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tyrelirwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #27
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm from Canada and I don't have the green light on my dash, however I vaguely recall a dash light burning out and the dealer wanting $100+ to replace the cluster so I never got around to it. I'm only about 50% sure whether or not that even happened on the Vue or another car. Either way I for sure havn't had a green on my dash for 4+ years.

Nice Redline btw, you may be interested to know there was only 350 of them made for Canada that year (even less for 2005 if it matters), versus 4,975 Ferrari's for 2004.

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

Last edited by pyroom; 02-27-2012 at 01:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
I'm from Canada and I don't have the green light on my dash, however I vaguely recall a dash light burning out and the dealer wanting $100+ to replace the cluster so I never got around to it. I'm only about 50% sure whether or not that even happened on the Vue or another car. Either way I for sure havn't had a green on my dash for 4+ years.

Nice Redline btw, you may be interested to know there was only 350 of them made for Canada that year (even less for 2005 if it matters), versus 4,975 Ferrari's for 2004.
The question for you is, what lights come on for YOUR DRLs?

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

You could add a 12 relay - the relay and pre-wired socket are generally available at most auto parts houses. You don't need a heavy duty type for lighting. Use this link to see examples:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...ive-relay.html

If I were doing I'd remove left front headlamp fixture and tap into existing wires near the lamp sockets. See the diagram below.

You'll also need to add the ground wire depicted on diagram. You might be tempted to tap onto one of the existing grounds, but I'd run a new one to avoid overloading the less than robust headlight switch.

When wired as suggested - low-beam light operation would be unchanged - including DRL function.

The change would be when you activated high-beam lamps - new relay will latch and provide a ground path to also keep the low-beams lighted.

The front lights are parallel connected so one relay switches both sides.

The new relay and wiring are in red but I'll also list wire colors and pin numbers:

Relay Term Wire Color
86 Orange (OG)
85 Pink (PK)
87 Dark Blue (D-BU)
30 New wire to clean ground point

Note: After posting ... I see the thumbnail might not provide the detail needed to add the relay. I can email higher resolution diagram - use PM to send an address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue - Quad HL Wiring.jpg (139.5 KB, 25 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 02-27-2012 at 01:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Pyroom: That's pretty cool, good to know it's rare!

Far2: Thanks for coming through!

Since I removed the DRL relay, can I use that one for the quad lights?

I'll attach a pic.

As for a diagram of the circutry, my email is my user name @hotmail.com.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (116.0 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Since I removed the DRL relay, can I use that one for the quad lights?
Yes ... that relay will work just fine.

I've emailed the schematic.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Thanks Grumpy.

Two more questions:

1. Do I just mount the relay somewhere inside my hood? Is there a best way to do it? Do I hide it in my fuse box? Should it not touch metal?

2. Any thoughts about swapping my park and signal lights? I would much prefer to have my signals right on the corners. Is there an 'easy' wiring solution that would work better than a destructive pysical swap of the bulbs/sockets and their housings? (as i recall, the sockets/etc are completely different)

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #33
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy.

Two more questions:

1. Do I just mount the relay somewhere inside my hood? Is there a best way to do it? Do I hide it in my fuse box? Should it not touch metal?

2. Any thoughts about swapping my park and signal lights? I would much prefer to have my signals right on the corners. Is there an 'easy' wiring solution that would work better than a destructive pysical swap of the bulbs/sockets and their housings? (as i recall, the sockets/etc are completely different)

Thanks.
If I were doing on one of mine - solder a 12 inch section of wire to each relay terminal. Slip heat-shrink insulation over exposed area of relay contacts.

Cable-tie the relay to harness near battery.

Connect wires according to suggested hook-up diagram.

I'll review diagrams for park/turn and corner lights to see if there's a common sense solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #34
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
thoughts about swapping my park and signal lights? I would much prefer to have my signals right on the corners. Is there an 'easy' wiring solution that would work better than a destructive pysical swap of the bulbs/sockets and their housings? (as i recall, the sockets/etc are completely different)
Corner marker lights are a big deal safety-wise, but it appears you have two choices to use as turn indication.

1. A few wiring changes could cause the corner marker to blink alternately with the regular turn signal bulb.

The light would burn steadily when park lights are on - and signals are not activated.

2. If I were doing the change - I'd rework the corner marker fixture to use a dual element bulb.

I wouldn't mess with the existing park/turn fixture other than a minor snip and reroute of the turn-signal wires to the "corner" fixture - once you've altered to "house" the dual-element bulb.

The needed socket should be widely available - and installation in the lighting fixture might be challenging, but result would be worthwhile to you.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE0Q8wIwAQ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Ok, my thoughts are to put a clear bulb in my signal position (adjacent to low beam) to clean up the appearance of the front HL assembly.

However, this is NOT legal in Alberta, as signals must be amber and only amber in color.

Having the corner marker's alternate with the signal intrigues me.

Reason: I could still replace the signal position with a clear, and STILL have an amber flasher, as well as my legally required corner marker.

This seems win-win, as I remain (mostly) legal and still get my clean look.

I'll search for the thread on how to do it, as I'm certain I've seen one.

Any tips on the best way?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #36
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Ok, my thoughts are to put a clear bulb in my signal position (adjacent to low beam) to clean up the appearance of the front HL assembly.

However, this is NOT legal in Alberta, as signals must be amber and only amber in color.

Having the corner marker's alternate with the signal intrigues me.

Reason: I could still replace the signal position with a clear, and STILL have an amber flasher, as well as my legally required corner marker.

This seems win-win, as I remain (mostly) legal and still get my clean look.

I'll search for the thread on how to do it, as I'm certain I've seen one.

Any tips on the best way?
The marker lamp socket will have two wires ... according to diagram one is brown and other is black.

The black wire is routed to ground but if you snip (and may have to extend), the black wire end leading from socket, and connect to the turn signal wire for side you're working on (left turn wire will be light blue and right turn wire is dark blue).

I can mark up a diagram if you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #37
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Is this one of those things that must be done on both sides, or just one side?

Sounds pretty easy, just black to blue.

I snip the black so it leads from the SOCKET to the blue, or snip AT the socket, so it leads from battery (or whatever) to the blue?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #38
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Is this one of those things that must be done on both sides, or just one side?

Sounds pretty easy, just black to blue.

I snip the black so it leads from the SOCKET to the blue, or snip AT the socket, so it leads from battery (or whatever) to the blue?

Thanks.
Each side must be done - and black wire goes from socket to blue wire.

You could tape and store ground end of the snipped black wire for future use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Oh I see, it's just a ground, so it doen't lead to the battery at all, that makes sense.

One more obvious questions;

I splice/attach the black to the blue wire without cutting or interupting the blue, correct?

Thanks, Grumpy, for all your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I splice/attach the black to the blue wire without cutting or interupting the blue, correct?
You got it - the LH and RH blues continue as before and the black marker lamp wires are tapped into the applicable blues.

I suggest you do one side - in a manner that it can be easily undone - and test for desired results - in case the rewire does not work.

In theory - the lights should work as expected ... but practical results have been known to ride rough-shod over theory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!