SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

1994 SL
Default recommended spark plug

could someone provide the part number of the NGK copper spark plug that is recommended for my 1998 Saturn SW SOHC

i don't mind spending some money as well if there are some better copper spark plugs that are out there... I see these NGK V-power ones, but not sure if they are in the "recommended spark plug list"

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

9/23/2012:currently running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (uncle gets an awesome deal so I figure I'd try it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: recommended spark plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
could someone provide the part number of the NGK copper spark plug that is recommended for my 1998 Saturn SW SOHC
You want the BKR5ESA-11 (aka 5643)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
You want the BKR5ESA-11 (aka 5643)
CORRECTION - make that BKR4ESA-11 (aka 7755)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
DG3
DG3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

NGK Stock #5643 is for the BKR5ESA-11 for the DOHC plugs

NGK Stock #7755 is for the BKR4ESA-11 for the SOHC plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1

Quote:

i don't mind spending some money as well if there are some better copper spark plugs that are out there... I see these NGK V-power ones, but not sure if they are in the "recommended spark plug list"
Quite a few people use the V power plug as well. I'm running the Denso plugs in our SOHC, and there are a number of users running other brands as well. I know some members run Champion plugs, but not sure if any of them have the SOHC engines.

The NGK numbers get tossed around as they were OEM in some cars, but you can use a variety of different plugs if you want. Other than avoiding the fine wire platinum plugs that some have had issues with, you probably won't notice much of a difference brand to brand.

On this forum often the "recommended" list is simply a part number that got repeated 20,000 times and is thus taken as the best and/or only valid part. Keep in mind that saying something 20,000 times doesn't always make it correct. I've seen posts over and over that say NGK was the OEM plug on my car. Being I pulled AC Delco plugs out, and the representative that works at NGK agrees that AC Delco was still making their own plugs at that time, I tend to think it's just incorrect information being repeated until most people take it as facts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Here is the list from Denso...

http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/g...&action=search

Two questions...
First - why do the plugs numbers change at 99's?

Second - what is the best plug type? I am assuming the Iridium (first column), but y'all are smarter than me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of lightSignmaster is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1

I have no idea why the designations changed at '99 plugs. It looks as though all the part numbers might have just changed, but it could be a physical change as well. I got the old part number plugs not that long ago, so it could be something recent.

As for "best" that could be debated for years. I use the standard plugs and they provide good life in this car. The single cammers are so easy to change plugs on that I personally don't see much benefit even if another plug type does give longer life. People wishing to lengthen maintenance intervals might benefit from a double platinum or irridium plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The number is different because Denso decided that you should be using thier super double platinum plug.

Stick with the NGK BKR5ESA-11 or BKR4ESA-11 and you will be fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

All plug manufacturers are changing over to a stock number system instead of the letter-number system that has existed since the first sparkplug. Seems computers are too dumb to deal with a random collection of letters and numbers that may not be quite unique across brands. For example several manufactures have had a plug marked A-6 but they are far from the same physically or electrically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The number is different because Denso decided that you should be using thier super double platinum plug.
The letter/number designation changed for all plug types. You should look at the link before deciding there is a sinister motive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I actually did...jerk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Every manufacturer is revising their nomenclature for data access reasons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
I actually did...jerk
Amazing how you could actually click the link and look at it, yet come up to two statements that obviously don't apply.

Quote:

Stick with the NGK BKR5ESA-11 or BKR4ESA-11 and you will be fine.
The above suggests they are leading a person to a certain plug type, when in reality they changed their part letter/number designations on all plug types.

Quote:
All plug manufacturers are changing over to a stock number system instead of the letter-number system that has existed since the first sparkplug. Seems computers are too dumb to deal with a random collection of letters and numbers that may not be quite unique across brands. For example several manufactures have had a plug marked A-6 but they are far from the same physically or electrically.
Once again, if you actually look at the link you can see that they changed both stock numbers and the letter/number designation. And there is still a change in plug types beyond a certain year.

As for the "jerk" thing, if you want to reduce yourself to kid stuff because I'm entitled to an opinion, go right ahead. Maybe you should post your cute little troll picture next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Keep on Trolln troll.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

just wondering because 2 years ago i went to ACDelco 41-808 platinum plugs ($7.00 each/ the "BEST" option according to AdvanceAuto's computer) I've heard the stock copper plugs are best so I think I'm going to go with the NGK 7755..

they come up as Nickel Plugs with copper core... Is this right?

do you think I'm alright with the ACDelco or should I go ahead and switch to the coppers and be done with it. I am trying to diagnose why I've been getting 28mpg highway. I've heard I shoudl be getting mid 30s

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

9/23/2012:currently running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (uncle gets an awesome deal so I figure I'd try it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

i have used AC delco plugs before. but switched to nascar double platinum s/plugs made by AutoLite i personally think there better in the sense that engine performance and starting can be felt over the other ones sorry i dont
no the part # because i usually look up the # when i go in the store to buy them

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
just wondering because 2 years ago i went to ACDelco 41-808 platinum plugs ($7.00 each/ the "BEST" option according to AdvanceAuto's computer) I've heard the stock copper plugs are best so I think I'm going to go with the NGK 7755..

do you think I'm alright with the ACDelco or should I go ahead and switch to the coppers and be done with it. I am trying to diagnose why I've been getting 28mpg highway. I've heard I shoudl be getting mid 30s
All the "standard" plugs are nickel plugs. That is the correct plug number if you want to go the standard NGKs.

Many of the parts place system will try to guide you to the more expensive plugs. Some claim longer life with them, others say it doesn't matter. Several people including myself have run "standard" plugs for 50,000 plus miles without problem, so I don't see any value in the more expensive plugs myself.

So regular NGK, V Power, Denso regular, Autolite regular, AC Delco regular, Champion regular.... you get the picture. All of them will work fine. I don't know if any other regular members have used the AC Delco platinums, so getting feedback on that particular plug might be harder than with some others.

A number of people have had issues with the single platinum plugs as well as the fine wire platinum plugs and in the case of the later especially Bosch platinum fine wires.

If you do a search for posts by NGKtech he lists a number of companies that made OEM plugs for these cars. Any of them were good enough to ship in the cars, so they should remain just as good later in life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

rgrafton,

Here is one of the posts I was looking for.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=258

The poster actually works for NGK and has answered some tech support issue questions from people on this forum in the past. I'd personally consider his input as the best "horses mouth" we have on the forum in regards to plugs and the NGK plugs in particular.

He also clarifies the copper vs nickel statement towards the end of that post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:

the words platinum & saturn don't mix at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Could it be because of the engine changes in the 1999 + model years?

From Wikipedia,

"1999 models received improvements to both SOHC and DOHC engines that did not affect power output, but did smooth out some of the harshness associated with them. These changes included revised pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft counterweights, etc. Fuel economy of these refined models also saw a measurable improvement."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

I have a 98 Sl2 , it runs a little rougher than my Dads 2000 SL2, but it feels like it has more power.

Has anyone swapped a .605 MP2 5th gear into a 1999+ SL2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote