SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
01sl2rebel
01sl2rebel is on a distinguished road

Default Starting out

so i have a 01 sl2 manual. im wanting to do a bunch of things but im unsure of where to start. im wanting to install a turbo eventually and try to do as much as i can to my car but i dont know where i should start. im assuming I would have to do some engine modifications first but i dont know what i should do first. this is going to be a slow process but i would like to start asap thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01sl2rebel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01sl2rebel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01sl2rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Starting out

If you're interested in a turbo, start by reading & saving your money. You'll need $3-5k for a solid turbo setup, and that's if you know what you're doing (thus the reading). There's a lot of great turbo info on sixthsphere in the stickies.

If you want to have some fun with the car on a lower budget, and do the turbo further down the road, start with tune-up and suspension work.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
01sl2rebel

so anyone have any info on some low budget tuning? id like to start out less expensive in the beginning and work my way up in price. id also like to get the most hp and handling as quick as i can... thanks for all the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 01sl2rebel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

You can do some low budget but effective fuel tuning with a wideband oxygen sensor and a SAFC.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
01sl2rebel

do you know of a site i can look at some of these things? i cant find them on the ones i looked at

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

you need a set of SDA dog bone motor mounts

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
01sl2rebel

what r u talkin about motor mounts for???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

He's trying to sell a set of the best one's made for our cars. They hold the motor in place better then the rest, which means power gets to the ground marginally faster.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01sl2rebel View Post
so i have a 01 sl2 manual. im wanting to do a bunch of things but im unsure of where to start. im wanting to install a turbo eventually and try to do as much as i can to my car but i dont know where i should start. im assuming I would have to do some engine modifications first but i dont know what i should do first. this is going to be a slow process but i would like to start asap thanks.
1) What are your skills (oil and filter, major mechanical, rebuilt a car completely)and do you have tools (screw driver, full tool chest, garage with lift)? First thing to do is get everything in prime operating condition including (but not limited to) fresh filters plugs, wires, and ignition connections. Consider upgrades when repacing parts (but choose carefully since many upgrades are not necessarily better than mid-grade parts).

2) What is your budget?

3) Is the car a daily driver and do you have another car to use or does this one always have to be there for you?

4) Are you looking for 0-60mph or autocross? Is straight line performance important or do you want to handle too?

5) How many creature comforts (like air conditioning and sound insulation) are you able to sacrifice? The cheapest way to gain perferformance is to reduce the weight of the car (free). You remove non-essential items but only you can decide what is non-essential. Basically every 100 pounds lost is approximately 4% increase in power to weight ratio.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Keep in mind that you're starting out with a 24-HP ball and chain, namely, the SOHC engine. If you really want to make a Saturn even marginally faster, start with a DOHC car. And the best way to do that is to sell the car and buy one with a DOHC. SOHC Saturns are valued now for their fuel economy, and fetch just about the same used price as their DOHC counterparts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
StealthySC2
StealthySC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Keep in mind that you're starting out with a 24-HP ball and chain, namely, the SOHC engine. If you really want to make a Saturn even marginally faster, start with a DOHC car. And the best way to do that is to sell the car and buy one with a DOHC. SOHC Saturns are valued now for their fuel economy, and fetch just about the same used price as their DOHC counterparts.
Good point in general, but I think you misread his post. He has an 01 SL2 manual. The lack of caps threw me off at first too.

Al

1996 SC2 5 speed 187k punched in the face by 04 Impala, waiting to be parted out
1995 SC2 5 speed 165k
1994 SW2 5 speed 175k
1970 Dodge Charger
1971 AMC Javelin AMX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StealthySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StealthySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StealthySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthySC2 View Post
Good point in general, but I think you misread his post. He has an 01 SL2 manual. The lack of caps threw me off at first too.

Al
D'Oh, yes, indeed please disregard entire previous post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote