SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Starmonkey
Starmonkey is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Default 2000 Saturn SL SOHC 5sp 196k daily driver

I bought this from my girlfriend who babied it for a few years. Itís turned into my daily driver/project car.

I'd like to take a sec and thank Richpin for his videos. They have really helped me!

I've already replaced the water pump, coil packs, both O2 sensors, valve cover gasket, air pump vacuum control valve, shifter cable(s), intake manifold gasket (I actually got a clear picture of the manufacture's defect with the gasket talked about here), and cleaned the throttle body, EGR valve, fuel injectors...
Itís ongoing - but this car is amazing: 33.5/38.5 mpg in a car hitting 200k. Itís easy to work on, the parts are fairly inexpensive, and their are not too hard to find in the junkyards.

Anyway, hello!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starmonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starmonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL SOHC 5sp 196k daily driver

Welcome to the forum!! Glad you are giving this Saturn the attention it deserves, especially approaching such an awesome milestone as the 200k mark!

But I can't help but wonder....."bought from your girlfriend"?????

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Starmonkey
Starmonkey is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL SOHC 5sp 196k daily driver

Heh! OK - the story is this: Her dad found the car for her several years ago for commuting to work, when it had something like 30-40K on it. She was very meticulous about keeping on top of regular maintenance intervals, oil changes, etc. A few months ago (somewhere around 180K or so) it was overheating in traffic (fan relay failed), soon followed by a windshield crack from rock a kicked up semi in the freeway that propagated over 2 feet. Within a week the SES light came on, and the water pump started to leak and that was it for her. She isnít the mechanical type, and she never liked parking in San Francisco with manual steering (I donít care Ė gives me a good arm workout), and just got very fixated on getting a new car: she really doesnít want to have any issues that come up with older used cars Ė even the minor ones that come up with Saturns.

I however like to work on cars, and even with the issues it had something was telling me to not let go of this car, so I agreed to buy it with the issues. I looked up the book value with the issues, and it was all of $460 Ė at that price I wanted to keep it in the family, so to speak. I offered her $500, and had at it. I put my told in the trunk and just made it my driving project car. As I started to work on it I was really please with the elegant simplicity of the design, the ease of repairs, and the insanely good mileage. It been a few years since Iíve worked on cars, but my Saturn has really got me back into it. The car is great: a no-frills basic design that really works for me. And really: show me another car coming up on 200K that gets 38.5/33.5 mpg?

The multiple issues causing the SES light have been resolved, although I have and ever pending EV system when I take an OBD2 reading (my buddy had a nice reader I borrow), which I guessing just needs a new gas cap. Iíve also noticed that the CV joints are vibrating on the freeway and clicking on sharp turns. Iím also going to add cruise control to it. I wouldnít be surprised to get another 100K out of it Ė and heck Ė at that point I may just drop another engine in it and keep driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starmonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starmonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote