SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
badbobby
badbobby will become famous soon enoughbadbobby will become famous soon enough

Default a good code reader

Ready to buy a code reader--looking for one that will give codes and mpg that dosen't cost an arm and a leg---
This will be for 1997 saturn sl sedan manuel shift. Where to buy and approx. cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to badbobby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help badbobby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
badbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
BigSmitty
BigSmitty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: a good code reader

Look up the "PLX Kiwi MPG Gauge OBDII Scanner" I don't have enough posts yet to post links . I saw it on StreetRays . com. For $89.59

It does:

OBD2 codes (obviously)
Fuel Used (Gallons, Liters)
Fuel Remaining (Gallons, Liters)
Distance to Empty (Gallons, Liters)
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed (MPH, KMH)
Coolant Temp (Fahrenheit, Celsius)
Throttle Position
Looks like it may be what your looking for. Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigSmitty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigSmitty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
badbobby
badbobby will become famous soon enoughbadbobby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmitty View Post
Look up the "PLX Kiwi MPG Gauge OBDII Scanner" I don't have enough posts yet to post links . I saw it on StreetRays . com. For $89.59

It does:

OBD2 codes (obviously)
Fuel Used (Gallons, Liters)
Fuel Remaining (Gallons, Liters)
Distance to Empty (Gallons, Liters)
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed (MPH, KMH)
Coolant Temp (Fahrenheit, Celsius)
Throttle Position
Looks like it may be what your looking for. Hope this helps!
Thanks--I will check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to badbobby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help badbobby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
badbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

These work and are low cost. http://www.diydiagnostics.com/index.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I use the old fashioned odometer to calculate my MPG's and a Actron 9180 for everything else.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I've used both Ultraguage and Scan Guage II. Both work well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

http://bowserelectronics.com/ reads GM specific data, ABS, SIR, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
porphyre
porphyre has a spectacular aura aboutporphyre has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

The Harbor Freight tool is pretty good.... for the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ner-98614.html

I wouldn't pay $150 for it, but I found it on sale at my store for $99. 20% coupon off that put it in my cart for $70 + tax.

However, many people say the OEM version of the tool is the Autel 509. They look exactly the same and the feature breakdown is the same. Googling shopping for the Autel unit shows prices anywhere from $57 to over $100. Amazon has it at $72 shipped.

http://www.auteltech.com/ms509.htm

The tool does all the basics well. The O2 sensor test is useful, if you know how to use it, b/c the user manual sucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to porphyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help porphyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
MCR661
MCR661 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

I use an Actron 9185. Works just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MCR661's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MCR661 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MCR661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Still seems like a lot of pay for a basic reader without support for Air bag, ABS, etc.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyre View Post
The Harbor Freight tool is pretty good.... for the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ner-98614.html

I wouldn't pay $150 for it, but I found it on sale at my store for $99. 20% coupon off that put it in my cart for $70 + tax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
porphyre

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Still seems like a lot of pay for a basic reader without support for Air bag, ABS, etc.

-Robert
I dunno. Is it? I've got no frame of reference. It pulls codes, live data off all the sensors, graphs, and can output a saved data stream to a PC graphing package. Pulls OBD readiness monitors and can initiate tests on O2 and EVAP systems.

I've got $70 worth of use out of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help porphyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Ultragauge Or Actron 9145 (number may be wrong)

Ultragauge is nice, give readout of six items (water temp, mpg, timing advance, etc) on the screen.

You need a 96 or higher (OBD II) to use either...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
saturn1984
saturn1984 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Do any of the lower-cost scantools provide bi-directional capability? For example, to turn a given output on/off ... like a trans shift solenoid, etc?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Device control addresses are vehicle specific and licensed material. The license costs 7000+. If you want that then you will be spending better than 1000.00 for the unit. Only Tech-2 has the complete set for each vehicle and that does not include the Chinese copy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
porphyre

2001 SL2

Sub $100? No.

Sub $200? None that I know of (but I don't know everything)

The one I'm looking into right now costs around $500. It's the PC based AutoEnginuity system. $250 for the software and cables, $225 for the GM access package. According to their list, it will do nearly everything a GM brick will do for Gen3 S-Series. ABS, SRS, all the body controls, A/C, cluster, etc, chassis sensors, powertrain, transmission... OnStar. Totally bi-directional.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Access to the CAN network cars gets you the basic and extended engine code set, ABS, SDM, BCM. It still does not provide settings modification or device control. It provides exactly the minimum that is required by to original Federal law and associated regulations, nothing more. The OBD-2 pre CAN cars require separate data sets for the ABS and SDM which is only minimally available for Saturn. GM is not Saturn so resist strongly falling into that trap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
porphyre

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
GM is not Saturn so resist strongly falling into that trap.
Agreed. Make sure the potential purchase specifically supports Saturn.

Autoenginuity does...
http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-Vehi...port-List.html
http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-All-Systems-List.html
http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-Vehi...port-List.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are several that do support the S-Series but you have to actually cal them on the phone and specifically ask if you can access ABS and SDM codes. Most of the time the answer is NO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I get ABS and SIR with bowserelectronics.com. They do have the ability to send device controls but you have to manually enter the address (which perhaps gets around some of the licensing). I've sent a couple commands just to ensure that I can but haven't really found any reason yet to send commands. You do pay extra for the GM extensions though.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There are several that do support the S-Series but you have to actually cal them on the phone and specifically ask if you can access ABS and SDM codes. Most of the time the answer is NO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyre View Post
That's a very impressive product!

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!