SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Shift Lock Cable And Key Sticking

New problem with my daughters 02 SL2. She says that she can't get the key out of the ignition unless she slams the shifter in and out of Park. I read something on the web about the shift lock cable needing to be adjusted to fix this problem. It said something about removing the console to get at the cable. First of all how do I go about removing the console and what is the proper procedure for adjusting that cable. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maintenance Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maintenance Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maintenance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Shift Lock Cable And Key Sticking

Once you get at it spray the console end off with brake cleaner and then lube with powdered mica.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I broke mine off at the shifter intentionally so I'd never have to worry about it again. Nothing like being in a hurry and not being able to get the car out of park or the key out.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There are 2 screws at the front of the console and 2 at the lower rear. Pull up switches and cup holder and drop through hole, then lift it straight up and off. The arm rest has to come off and there are 2 screws on the sides at he rear. The lift up rear slightly and push to the rear to remove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron95sl2 View Post
I broke mine off at the shifter intentionally so I'd never have to worry about it again. Nothing like being in a hurry and not being able to get the car out of park or the key out.
That is fine for people who are aware of what they are doing. They installed clutch safety switches because people drove through the end of many garages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is fine for people who are aware of what they are doing. They installed clutch safety switches because people drove through the end of many garages.
And this is why I support stricter driver testing and licensing.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Testing and licensing does not address attention to detail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The engine still won't start in gear. The shifter / key lockout is a security feature, not a safety device. And for anyone who's really serious about stealing your car, it's not much of a security feature. Depends on whether the OP and driver are concerned about the shifter being moved with the key out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The actual purpose is to force you to put the car in Park before retrieving the key. The safety here is the unoccupied roll away event. Just like the brake shift interlock prevents selecting reverse or drive without the brake applied and running into the trash cans.

The starter interlock was just an example.

The early theft protection was fixing it so the key was locked into the ignition unless the ignition was in off.

All designed to irritate the experienced driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Maintenance Man

2002 SL2

Thanks OldNuc. When she brings the car on her next day off I'll try the brake cleaner but where do you get powdered mica ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Maintenance Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The quickest place to find it is a gun shop that sells reloading supplies or http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OZ-PEARL-W...item255f654908 You can find it at art supply stores usually, may have to try several Dick Blick usually has it. http://www.dickblick.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Maintenance Man

2002 SL2

I have no idea what it would be used for concerning firearms but there's a gun shop about three blocks from here. What can I tell you, this is Texas ! It's like pizza joints in New York, there's one on almost every corner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Powdered mica is used as a high pressure lubricant when resizing cases. As you can tell it is also in paint, concrete mold release, makeup and cosmetics, soap, and several others that I forgot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
dbert513
dbert513 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1995 SL1

Here's the procedure for adjusting the cable... hope it helps. I have the procedure for removing the console, but the file is too big. It's an easy thing though....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf park-lock-cable-adjustment.pdf (74.1 KB, 57 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbert513's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbert513 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbert513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
Maintenance Man

2002 SL2

Thank you dbert513. I always like to know ahead of time what to look for before digging into something I haven't done before. I'm going to try oldnuc's suggestion first and if that's not enough to fix it I'll do the cable adjustment. I was going to buy the soft cover Hayne's book on this car a long time ago but they're not very concise and just breeze over stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Haynes probably does not even mention this little issue. You will find that all of those coffee lattes that got spilled are in the mechanism under the console. Hence the initial recommendation to clean the gunk out first. Chocolate, milk, steamed milk, and sugar are lousy lubricants. Add a couple of sodas and you have a real mess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
Maintenance Man

2002 SL2

My daughter came over today for us to go and get new tires put on her car and several other errands so I didn't have enough time to mess with the cables. Besides for the fact that we were having a real frog choker of a rain storm. Going by debert513's PDF I popped out the forward cup holder and saw the cable junction. Simple enough. It was clean and just a little dusty. She'll be back over in a few days for me to dig into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!