SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Wrench VUE is at GM dealer. 6T70 Transmission 3-5 wave plate on it's way out.

One morning this week as my Wife backed out of the driveway she reported the car shuddered, or jerked in reverse only.
The next morning, I took it for a drive and confirmed it only did the Herky Jerk in reverse. Felt like a misfire.

When placed in gear with the brake on, it idled fine. Smooth in all forward gears at all speeds.
No check engine light.
Car has 72,000 miles on it, so I took up to a local Chevy dealer to have them check it out.
They called later in the day to tell me it was the 3-5 wave plate on it's way out. Fairly common problem with the 6T70 transmission, and if I hadn't brought it in right away it would have definitely left us stranded on the road at some point.
they ordered parts and are in the process of opening it up. Thank goodness it is still under warranty!
It wasn't something I was going to be able to fix myself.
Here is the Service Bulletin info on it.

TSB Number: PIP-4327A
Owners of 2007-2009 Saturn Aura and Outlook, and 2008-2009 Saturn Vue equipped with the 6T70/75 6-speed automatic transmission may experience no reverse and slip/flare/harsh shifts in 3rd and/or 5th gear. Codes P0776 Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 Stuck Off and P0842 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 1 Circuit Low Voltage may be set.

The 35R clutch wave plate may be broken, allowing the piston to overstroke, causing the piston to leak and resulting in loss of apply on vehicles with greater than 25,000 miles.

During the repair process it is important to install the wave plate in the proper orientation to prevent the possibility for the failure to re-occur. Install the rounded edge of the new wave plate internal splines facing the 35R piston.

NOTE: The same TSB applies to 2007-2009 GMC Acadia, 2007-2009 Pontiac G5, 2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent, 2008-2009 Buick Enclave, 2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox and Malibu, and 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, equipped with the 6T70/75 6-speed automatic transmission (RPO MH2, MH4, MH6 and MY9).

Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". – Stirling Moss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: VUE is at GM dealer. 6T70 Transmission 3-5 wave plate on it's way out.

Fantastic that it failed under warranty! This transmission was a totally new design first used in the 2007 Saturn Aura.

Here's a great link that describes the technical aspects of your transmission.

http://www.gottransmissions.com/blog...c-transmission

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: VUE is at GM dealer. 6T70 Transmission 3-5 wave plate on it's way out.

turning out to be a common problem. hope mine stays ok as its an 07 and out of warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Sweepspear

2008 VUE 3.6L

Totally out of the blue.
I drove it the very night before when we went out for dinner and backed out of the driveway and later the parking spot at the restaurant, and it was business as usual.
Next morning, not so much.

Even if I know I will be taking a car in for service, I always try to figure it out for myself. Sometimes these things are stupid simple to fix. And being a car guy, I take pride in doing most of my own work.

So in researching, I read many posts and articles on this problem, but the car still had reverse and it shifted smoothly in forward gears.
Nothing about early symptoms.
Clearly a lot of people that aren't in tune with their cars either don't notice the beginnings of this failure and just drive till it goes out completely, or ignore the symptoms.

Now, if only they still warranted the noisy, crunchy, rattling front strut mounts!
I replaced the stabilizer bar links a year ago or so, but now the strut mounts are noisy. Very irritating.

I'll update this when I learn more next week.

Dale

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

friend of mine just had this on 08 vue 3.6. 80k miles. first signs were dash light and onstar notification followed very shortly by erratic shifting. car was drivable the whole time until brought in for wave plate repair luckily still inside 5yr. warranty. it would be nice if gm would extend warranty for this know problem as many are now well under 100k miles but getting passed 5 yr. its not a cheap repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepspear View Post
Now, if only they still warranted the noisy, crunchy, rattling front strut mounts!
I replaced the stabilizer bar links a year ago or so, but now the strut mounts are noisy. Very irritating.
These are all Theta chassis weak spots going back to 2002.

I wonder if the 2010+ Cadillac SRX continue to have the same issues? Considering the price, you'd think GM would upgrade these parts, or did they continue the GM "it's good enough" policy...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Sweepspear

2008 VUE 3.6L

Well, we picked the car up from the dealer today.
Sure was nice to see N/C noted down at the total due line of the invoice.
They had to replace the entire 3-5-R clutch pack. Housing and all.
That's one way to get a fluid change LOL!

Dale

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
rosemont
rosemont is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
So in researching, I read many posts and articles on this problem, but the car still had reverse and it shifted smoothly in forward gears.
Nothing about early symptoms.
Clearly a lot of people that aren't in tune with their cars either don't notice the beginnings of this failure and just drive till it goes out completely, or ignore the symptoms.
In my case, it happened out of blue. I didn't realize any jerk or abnormality before it happened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rosemont's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rosemont reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rosemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
mbruneaux
mbruneaux is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Did they say how much it would have cost if not under warranty? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbruneaux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbruneaux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbruneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
olds362
olds362 is on a distinguished road

Since they have to completely rebuild the transmission I would expect it to be $2k plus. I had mine rebuilt around memorial day for this problem but it was under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to olds362's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help olds362 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
olds362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
dnale
dnale is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling we'll be looking at the same thing. The wife told me about it Sunday morning on the way to church. It's surging at shifts. Unfortunately we're out of warranty with 127k on it. Son-of-a.... We take it in tomorrow. Debating if we let the dealership do it or take it to a transmission shop or look at trading it in...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
dnale

Dropped it off with an appointment this morning. They didn't get to it until just before closing time. They agreed there was an issue but since we didn't run it until we got a CEL they say they need to tear into it to know for sure. So know we're looking at $500 minimum. That's to tear apart and look and put it back in. If it's $500 to get it out, look at it, put it back in; I'm cautiously optimistic it won't be the $4k that I've read about on some enclave forums. Hopefully we will know more tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dnale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
COSaturngirl
COSaturngirl is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hello, I am new here. I've visited this site occassionally - tons of great info here!

I wanted to register to add onto this thread - this just happened to me last week. I have a 2008 Vue XR 3.6 and the transmission started to slip, high rpms and then completely failed. It happened VERY fast.
Thank goodnesss it was still under warranty (although at 58K, apparently I was just within what is left of the warranty),

Mine has been at the dealership since Monday and I doubt it will be ready today.

Good luck to all, I hope if anyone else has this issue, it happens before the 60K 5 year warranty ends.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to COSaturngirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help COSaturngirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
COSaturngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
dnale

Should be covered under the 100k powertrain. We were at 127k. It's supposed to be done today. About $2600 for the wave plate and clutch (but since it's an automatic, I'm not sure about the clutch part.) I didn't talk to them my wife did. I know there's about $100 in fluid. I would assume they would put a new filter and seals in it too. It wasnt' what we had hoped but it's not the end of the world. I have been driving a 2012 Buick Regal as the loaner car... pretty sweet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
olds362
olds362 is on a distinguished road

There are clutches inside the automatic transmission, the clutch plates are what the wave plate are next to so I can see a broken wave plate taking a clutch plate with it. At least you got a loaner, the dealer I took mine to did not offer loaners and I had to borrow my dad's truck while mine was being repaired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to olds362's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help olds362 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
olds362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
dnale

Drove it some over the weekend. It's back to buttery smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
chris S
chris S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One morning this week as my Wife backed out of the driveway she reported the car shuddered, or jerked in reverse only.
The next morning, I took it for a drive and confirmed it only did the Herky Jerk in reverse. Felt like a misfire.

When placed in gear with the brake on, it idled fine. Smooth in all forward gears at all speeds.
No check engine light.
Car has 72,000 miles on it, so I took up to a local Chevy dealer to have them check it out.
They called later in the day to tell me it was the 3-5 wave plate on it's way out. Fairly common problem with the 6T70 transmission, and if I hadn't brought it in right away it would have definitely left us stranded on the road at some point.
they ordered parts and are in the process of opening it up. Thank goodness it is still under warranty!
It wasn't something I was going to be able to fix myself.
Here is the Service Bulletin info on it.

TSB Number: PIP-4327A
Owners of 2007-2009 Saturn Aura and Outlook, and 2008-2009 Saturn Vue equipped with the 6T70/75 6-speed automatic transmission may experience no reverse and slip/flare/harsh shifts in 3rd and/or 5th gear. Codes P0776 Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 Stuck Off and P0842 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 1 Circuit Low Voltage may be set.

The 35R clutch wave plate may be broken, allowing the piston to overstroke, causing the piston to leak and resulting in loss of apply on vehicles with greater than 25,000 miles.

During the repair process it is important to install the wave plate in the proper orientation to prevent the possibility for the failure to re-occur. Install the rounded edge of the new wave plate internal splines facing the 35R piston.

NOTE: The same TSB applies to 2007-2009 GMC Acadia, 2007-2009 Pontiac G5, 2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent, 2008-2009 Buick Enclave, 2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox and Malibu, and 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, equipped with the 6T70/75 6-speed automatic transmission (RPO MH2, MH4, MH6 and MY9).
Just had my 2/9/2013 Saturn Aura 2008 into the dealer the (inside transmission)wave plate was broken from what I read it genearly happens around 70k he said I was lucky to catch it so early. I have read this about Outlooks and other xr models the mechanic said they are all the same drivetrain. Thanks God Im still under warranty but I want others with a Aura xr to know this is a issue. I notice it when driving the rpm's jumped slightly between gears 2 and 3 and occasionaly it would shift hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Sweepspear

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris S View Post
Just had my 2/9/2013 Saturn Aura 2008 into the dealer the (inside transmission)wave plate was broken from what I read it genearly happens around 70k he said I was lucky to catch it so early. I have read this about Outlooks and other xr models the mechanic said they are all the same drivetrain. Thanks God Im still under warranty but I want others with a Aura xr to know this is a issue. I notice it when driving the rpm's jumped slightly between gears 2 and 3 and occasionaly it would shift hard.
You and me both felt lucky it was still under warranty! I don't know what we would have done if we had to pay out of pocket for the repair.

Dale

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
jbn7474
jbn7474 is on a distinguished road

I know this is not relevant to the Vue, but my girlfriend has the Aura XR 3.6 with the same drivetrain. We drove to Florida from New England and the car was doing great. We got down here and towards the end of the vacation the car started to slip gears, hesitate, and just ran crappy. This actually happened last week. We called around to dealers and found out that her warranty was about to end that same day we called so we had to get it in to fall under the warranty. Fortunately, we are staying with relatives so we don't have a hotel expense. They initially said it was an engine misfire or bad gas and told us to go back to the dealer once we got home if the problem persisted. We left the dealership and it started slipping bad. We turned around and went back insisting that they get in the car with one of us driving to show them the problem. At first they wanted to take the car, but we insisted we drive.

They finally obliged and the car did its thing and hesitated and slipped banging into gears. They then said they would look into it and sure enough the next day we got a call saying the wave plate broke and made a mess in the tranny. They had to order parts and do an overhaul I guess. I am still waiting for the car as I write this and it is supposed to be done tomorrow. I surely hope they fixed the problem as I have to drive this thing 1500 miles back home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbn7474's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbn7474 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbn7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
jberndt
jberndt is on a distinguished road

Count me in as another Saturn Aura XR owner bitten by a transmission failure.

I first noticed the hesitation in my 2007 Saturn Aura XR (83K miles) when shifting at second and third gears. I had a complete transmission failure two days later. I was accelerating to 55 mph on a country road when it refused to shift at 40MPH and the check engine light came on.

I put pictures of the shredded transmission part in my member photo gallery under "jberndt".

This (out of warranty) repair is setting me back $3800 to have a completely new transmission installed. That seemed the best option since it comes with a three year warranty (vs one year warranty for a rebuilt transmission)

My dad is retired from GM, so I've always driven GM. If this transmission problem happened with 130K miles on the car, I'd just be out getting a new Malibu or Regal. But, a transmission shredding itself at 83K miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jberndt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jberndt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jberndt is offline   Reply With Quote