SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
wink
wink is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 1992 saturn 1.9 sohc backfire

my saturn will backfire and then die. somtimes it fires out the tb and others out the exhuast. only code i get is 26. can a vcp valve cause this???

i tried removeing the egr valve to clean everything out of it. when i start it up it is supossed to rev high and blow all the carbin out. instead it revs and then backfires out the egr port and dies.

can the cank sensor be bad cuasing my timng to be off?

the car has 130k on it. i checked the timing chain by pullign the valve cover and it looks to be tight, but it is not a very good test.

what do you guys think is causing the backfiring?

thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wink is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1992 saturn 1.9 sohc backfire

Its rare for a member to accurately describe true backfire with combustion occurring back in the intake manifold and out the throttle body. The few times this occurred it was the coolant sensor failing in the opposite direction of most coolant sensor failures, resistance staying high that's interpreted by the pcm as a frozen engine with very rich to flooding involved. Backfiring through the intake manifold strongly suggests the coolant sensor failing with very low resistance and interpreted by the pcm as a very hot engine so it leans out the fuel mixture on cold starts.

Either the coolant sensor is the original plastic one or there's something in the sensor circuit causing a low resistance like chafing to short the signaling to the pcm. The brass sensor and clean connector usually fixes lean or rich starting/running issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
wink

the sensor is new and the conector looks great on the ects.

i have a snap on scan tool hooked up to it and i can watch streaming data. the coolant temp sensor is right on.

i do not understand why i get a coolant sensor "a" and a coolant sensor "b" reading? not sure if you have hooked a obd 1 saturn up to a scan tool and noticed this. if you had please explain why it has two readings. and why they are so far away from eachother. i can go out there and get you the exact readings if you think it might help.

thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just guessing but yours uses three coolant sensors; a single wire one for the air temperature, another one for the temperature gauge display, and the important two-wire one for the pcm. The guess is the air and coolant temps being read?

Are you sure you replaced the two-wire coolant sensor with a brass one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
wink

yep it is changed to brass.

scanner reads

ects plugged in coolant "A" 68 coolant "B" 176

ects unplugged coolant "A" -40 coolant "B" -40

ects wires jumped coolant "A" 304 coolant "B" 304

so it must be the same sensor controling them, but why are the numbers diffrent? a 2 wire sensor can only give out one resistince reading.

scan tool says spec is -35 unplugged and 266min wires jumped

i have another post that talks more about my problem

here is the link, maybe you can help me out with the next thing to try/test

"add wx3".saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175997

thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wink's Reputation