SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
justandgirl
justandgirl is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Check Engine Light with code P2101

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion with 113,000 miles and today my engine light came on and my car was running with very little power. I went back out to start it and the check engine light is off and the car is running fine so I took it to Auto Zone so they could check the code and they said it was a P2101. Any one know what this means or what could be wrong?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justandgirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justandgirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Check Engine Light with code P2101

www.google.com will gladly tell you what it means, as would a quick search on here. reduced power mode means don't drive it (even if it isn't acting up) until you get it fixed.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
justandgirl
justandgirl is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Well according to Google I found several things it could be I just dont know where to begin. I searched on here and found similar posts but they also seem to be having some different symptoms. I was just hoping someone could give me some ideas or input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justandgirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justandgirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
smwalker_oh
smwalker_oh is on a distinguished road

I just had the same thing happen to me this morning with my 2005 Ion 3 (about 92k miles). Car was running normally with no issues, then suddenly I got the the warning noise, the engine light came on, the message area said "Trac off" and the other smaller engine light on the dash came on (the reduced power indicator light I suppose, the one of an engine with a big downward pointing arrow through it). Engine started running really rough in a reduced power mode. I pulled into a nearby parking lot and shut the car completely down. After a few minutes I started it back up and while the engine light was still on, the engine was running normally again.

I drove it to the nearby Autozone and it coded P2101 which came up with a printout as follows:

Quote:
Definition
Throttle actuator control motor (TACM)
range/performance
Explanation
ECM fault flag is set indiciating the motor circuit is open-Cycle ignition key
Probable cause
1 - Open circuit
2 - Failed throttle actuator motor
So I went home and removed the housing over the throttle body and found a nice sized chunk of foam rubber sitting atop the throttle body blade. Removing the cover of the air filter housing, I found a chunk missing from the foam rubber outside gasket of the air filter that is curiously almost exactly the same size of the piece of foam rubber I found sitting on the throttle body blade.

A trip to Autozone to get some throttle body cleaner and a new air filter later, and the car appears to be running just fine. But the check engine light is still on. Took it back to Autozone and have them clear the code and see if it re-codes, and was told that they can no longer clear engine codes so I would have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to do it on my own. Went back out to the car, started it up and the engine light had turned itself off.

Everything appears to be running very well now, I just drove it around town for a bit and didn't feel any of the idle surging that is prone to happen from time to time. It's only been an hour or so but I think (I hope) this one is fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker_oh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker_oh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for the reminder... it's about time to check the Air and Cabin Filters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Dark_vue
Dark_vue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I have the same code on my 2004 Saturn Vue Redline AWD V6 3.5L and also
p2176 and whenever i start it it wont idle correctly and revs constantly....and it is stuck in limp mode and wont go above 20mph, the throttle literally almost has no effect the car will accelerate on its own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dark_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dark_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dark_vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

sorry, but that engine is very different from ours, try posing in the vue section.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote