SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
garey4life
garey4life is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone use the oem color spray paint

Had to replace right front fender on 2002 Saturn SL2. Need to repaint it. Anyone ever used the aerosol spray paint can? Not looking for professional just a close match.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to garey4life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help garey4life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
garey4life is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Anyone use the oem color spray paint

I used one that was supposed to be a perfect match on one of the popup headlights on a purple ford probe I had. It wound up looking like a hooker with too much eye shadow on one eye (Same color but darker), but it was a helluva lot cheaper than taking it to a shop and getting them to paint it.

What can it hurt to try? Give it a test spray, see if it matches, or at least is tolerably within range, and if so go to town. If not how much are you out? 5-10 bucks?

Read twice, Wrench once
Don't have time to do shade tree work, I'm a midnight mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sidneyaks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sidneyaks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
robert16
robert16 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garey4life View Post
Had to replace right front fender on 2002 Saturn SL2. Need to repaint it. Anyone ever used the aerosol spray paint can? Not looking for professional just a close match.
I had the exact problem had to replace my right passenger fender so I sanded it and primed it, I went to autozone and the employee said to get this grey paint color can and that it would match perfectly. Turns out he was wrong when I painted the fender it seemed to match, but when it completely dried it was a Goldish sparkly color -__- so I just reprimed my fender and my spoiler because the paint was chipping, doesn't look to bad, point is make sure you test the color before painting!

1998 Saturn SL2

Date purchased: 10/22/11 104.000 miles for $1,250.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
ktthecarguy
ktthecarguy will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

What color is your car? All paints fade in the sun, some colors more so than others. Reds seem to fade the fastest, blues and purples next, and so on. So the color will not be a perfect match, but may be close enough depending on the color. Sidneyak is right, for a $6 can it might be worth it.

I have a dark red wagon that had two damaged doors and a broken rear quarter panel. I replaced the doors with JY red doors, and painted the grey qtr panel with OEM red spray paint. The sprayed panel was darker than the doors, but is really only visible in bright sunlight, with the sun at an angle to the side of the body. Only then can you see the mismatch. Most of the time it all looks one color.

So you might get lucky and it will look good.
Even if it is not a perfect match, it will probably look better than the original damaged part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktthecarguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktthecarguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktthecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
garey4life
garey4life is on a distinguished road

Thank you folks. Sounds like its worth the effort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to garey4life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help garey4life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
garey4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
blue92
blue92 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Most auto paint stores will mix your paint and put it in a spray can. Give them your paint code which can be found on the spare tire cover.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
robert16
robert16 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktthecarguy View Post
What color is your car? All paints fade in the sun, some colors more so than others. Reds seem to fade the fastest, blues and purples next, and so on. So the color will not be a perfect match, but may be close enough depending on the color. Sidneyak is right, for a $6 can it might be worth it.

I have a dark red wagon that had two damaged doors and a broken rear quarter panel. I replaced the doors with JY red doors, and painted the grey qtr panel with OEM red spray paint. The sprayed panel was darker than the doors, but is really only visible in bright sunlight, with the sun at an angle to the side of the body. Only then can you see the mismatch. Most of the time it all looks one color.

So you might get lucky and it will look good.
Even if it is not a perfect match, it will probably look better than the original damaged part.
The origional color of my car is unknown the i am the fourth owner and the car is without the paint sticker. But currently the car is grey but shows signs it was once black. I plan of repainting her black matte soon.

1998 Saturn SL2

Date purchased: 10/22/11 104.000 miles for $1,250.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert16 View Post
The origional color of my car is unknown the i am the fourth owner and the car is without the paint sticker. But currently the car is grey but shows signs it was once black. I plan of repainting her black matte soon.
Go to a good quality automotive paint store, not a general parts store. They have a hand held color match tool. They will shoot the car, find the original paint code and then adjust the color for the age related fade. They will mix the paint and clear coat and put it into a good spray can for you. The color and shade will match. This is not hard, you just have to go to the correct store. Look in the local area for automotive paint supplies then make some calls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Had issues with my paint job on my 97SL. For the door panel and rear quarter panel I was lucky enough to get a replacement at my local pick & pull. Everything matched perfectly and you could never tell. But for the long, narrow panels above my doors and the front paint between my headlights, I went to NAPA and they mixed the color for me in a spray can. The gray matched perfectly but I had one problem. The only way I could even get close to the original gloss level on my car was to apply the paint at a closer distance and a little heavier. When I did that, I did two or three coats. But using the heavier coats, to gain the shine, it tended to re-wet the previous coat, and the metal-flake "flowed" and gathered instead of being uniform over the whole job. Still, not that noticeable and I figure that it is probably better looking than to have dull paint. (That was using a spray paint that had the paint and "top coat" all in the same can) You may be able to get the sheen up by topping with just a top coat, don't know. But you'd have to ask the paint store about that. Cheap paint ends in a cheap-looking job. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

NAPA should have told you that those paints are a 2 part process, color coat followed by a clear coat. The OEM Saturn finish is also a 2 part process. Junk yard parts match best because they have about the same age and UV exposure as your originals. If you get a new fresh paint mix there will be a color difference due to the age and UV exposure difference. There are several ways to deal with this but the easiest is to goto a automotive paint store that has the color match computer system and they can custom mix a color coat that matches what is on your car today. You will still need to clear coat it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
NAPA should have told you that those paints are a 2 part process, color coat followed by a clear coat. The OEM Saturn finish is also a 2 part process. Junk yard parts match best because they have about the same age and UV exposure as your originals. If you get a new fresh paint mix there will be a color difference due to the age and UV exposure difference. There are several ways to deal with this but the easiest is to goto a automotive paint store that has the color match computer system and they can custom mix a color coat that matches what is on your car today. You will still need to clear coat it though.
I guess that's all they had at the time? I asked a couple of times and was assured that the top coat or "shine" was a one step deal and that no top coat was needed. But then, the guy was new-----------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

It's a lot less hassle, and usually cheaper, to find a fender from a same-color car. You can do a nationwide search on http://www.car-part.com , and have it shipped (weighs aprx. 12 lb). Shipping is less expensive than painting.

I heard from a body-shop painter once that red changes the most (usually chalks, but I seldom see that on Saturns) because it's furthest in frequency/wavelength from the UV end of the spectrum, and thus absorbs the most UV light. Purples and blues tend to change the _least_, because they reflect the most UV light rather than absorbing it. Oranges, yellows, greens would be in between, in the order in which they appear on the rainbow. Dunno how grayscale colors (white, gray, silver, black) and more complex colors (copper, gold, brown) fit in.

Thing is, if you find a donor car of the same color, of about the same vintage, there's a good chance that any color change it has experienced will be pretty close to yours. My purple wagon has spent most of its years outside in Wisconsin, and when it was 10 years old, I put a fender and door panel from a local salvage car, and a quarter panel from a car in NC. Even in the best light, there's no telling the difference.

Last edited by madpogue; 01-06-2012 at 05:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The amount of fade is a function of the color-fastness of the pigment. Red pigment has poor color-fastness. This is true of red dye also. The organic violet dyes and all the metallic dyes have the highest color-fastness.

A red paint tends to fade to a pink color over time. Any paint that has a red hue in it will eventually lose the red.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

"Color-fast" was the term I was looking for; it's determined in great part by the relative reflection vs. absorption of UV. A couple old friends of mine, in their "too young to be hippies" days, drove an old Ford Courier pickup that was so Pepto-Bismol pink that you would never know it was once red, until you opened the door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Cost wise..try it and see how close it is, and if you like it.

If you really want the better match, try the JY...then sell your fender on CL. There will always be someone out there that just wants to replace a cracked panel regardless of color!

I've got a dark green door and fender, and a grey primed hatch on my light green Subaru. I opted for rust free right now. It'll get painted in spring.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
"Color-fast" was the term I was looking for; it's determined in great part by the relative reflection vs. absorption of UV. A couple old friends of mine, in their "too young to be hippies" days, drove an old Ford Courier pickup that was so Pepto-Bismol pink that you would never know it was once red, until you opened the door.
I remember that color well... Red was first available as a factory paint color after WW-2 and most faded to pink in only 1 or 2 years in south Kansas sun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!