SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
shaxs
shaxs is on a distinguished road

Default Running cable for backup camera & tapping into reverse lights for backup sensors

I will be installing a backup camera on my wife's 2007 vue. I will be using a license plate model. So I need to run the wire through the backdoor and all the way up to the front. What would be the best way to do this?

Also, I will be installing this backup sensor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XUXUTS/ which is also attached to the license plate area. I want to hook these up to the reverse light wire so it only comes on when the car is in reverse. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for doing this as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaxs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
shaxs

Default Re: Running cable for backup camera & tapping into reverse lights for backup sensors

Does anyone have any information on how to remove the inside covering to the back door? Also which wire do I need to tap into to get constant power for the camera and which is the reverse light wire to tap into to get power only in reverse for the backup sensors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shaxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Running cable for backup camera & tapping into reverse lights for backup sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Does anyone have any information on how to remove the inside covering to the back door? Also which wire do I need to tap into to get constant power for the camera and which is the reverse light wire to tap into to get power only in reverse for the backup sensors?
shaxs ... I have service manual extracts to remove the rear hatch trim panel. Too large to post but I'll email if you PM address.

You appear to be SOL finding a "hot" wire near rear of Vue for camera power ... you'll need to run from one of front fuse boxes.

I've attached back-up light schematic - remove either rear lamp assy (check owners manual for bulb replacement) to locate light-green wire.

Routing the back-up signal and power wiring to camera will be a challenge. Keep in mind ... anything worth doing goes better with a few suds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07 Vue - Backup Lights.pdf (86.3 KB, 85 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
shaxs ... I have service manual extracts to remove the rear hatch trim panel. Too large to post but I'll email if you PM address.

You appear to be SOL finding a "hot" wire near rear of Vue for camera power ... you'll need to run from one of front fuse boxes.

I've attached back-up light schematic - remove either rear lamp assy (check owners manual for bulb replacement) to locate light-green wire.

Routing the back-up signal and power wiring to camera will be a challenge. Keep in mind ... anything worth doing goes better with a few suds.
Thanks for your feedback. I can build a computer like no other but messing with car electronics makes me nervous!

I was looking at my wife's vue and I see there are license plates bulbs that seem to be on at all times. Can I hook into their power or no?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not to spoil your enthusiasm for wanting safety with a back-up camera system but are you sure the one you linked to is a camera system? I see a back-up sensor - that means just a radar like sensor with a small horn to beep at adults, children or animals. A flashing light would be visible to deaf people. On the same page is another system that's marked as a camera system. Perhaps that's what you want as it shows the little monitor to observe the rear view camera from.

With f2g's pdf's, you should be able to use the rear back up lights as power to turn on the camera system. Wiring for accessory power (switched ON only when ignition is ON) may require running a separate power wire from one of the switched fuses located in your Vue - defroster, radio, rear wiper, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Not to spoil your enthusiasm for wanting safety with a back-up camera system but are you sure the one you linked to is a camera system? I see a back-up sensor - that means just a radar like sensor with a small horn to beep at adults, children or animals. A flashing light would be visible to deaf people. On the same page is another system that's marked as a camera system. Perhaps that's what you want as it shows the little monitor to observe the rear view camera from.

With f2g's pdf's, you should be able to use the rear back up lights as power to turn on the camera system. Wiring for accessory power (switched ON only when ignition is ON) may require running a separate power wire from one of the switched fuses located in your Vue - defroster, radio, rear wiper, etc..
Im adding both sensors and a camera. I found a license plate camera rated well that fits in between the sensors on the license play backer.

I assume I should run the video cable on the opposite side of the car from any power and amp power lines correct?

Oh and that backup sensor has a speaker in the car to tell the driver when they are approaching obstacles. Not really for use to people outside the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I see now. As far as running video cabling, I'm no expert on this and if this were my set up I would run the shortest distance between camera and display with little regard to anything electrical/electronic. The difficulty I see is where to tear up the interior for the least amount of effort to run the cabling. My 2-cents worth is essentially powering it up immediately with everything laid out before tearing the interior apart just to see it work and then decide on where the cabling should run. Other than the console area's highest concentration of electronics, having OnStar and/or GPS puts these two things in the over head area and away from the console, leaving the rest of the floor and sides for power wiring. Power wiring shouldn't be an issue. Its presumed the video cable is the shielded type unless there's a less expensive wiring scheme using net work cables or something similar that doesn't have a thin aluminum sheet or wire braid for rf shielding under the vinyl insulation. Most aftermarket add-ons may instruct you to route wiring away from electrical/electronic cabling but if not then there shouldn't be any concerns. As with any mods, treading lightly and laying cable where its wanted should also allow you to run the engine and everything else electronic while trying out the back up camera several times to ensure the cabling isn't picking up any interference nor feeding it back to any electronics - its a two-way street with electronics. Finalizing everything and having the engine/electronics running with the back up camera on before putting everything back together to hide all your work goes a long way to ensure this doesn't need revisiting while everything is all apart for any rearrangement. Sort of like the wife wants the chair there while you want it here - don't put anything back together until the camera works with the engine running as in its normal state but with all the interior parts removed for cable placement. Once its determined that everything works and Murphy won't stab you in the back, reassemble everything and enjoy backing up into objects that you can now see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
shaxs

Alright! I got the camera installed. Found a "hot" wire in the license plate lights. Tapped into that just fine.

I also found the reverse wire in the back of my car and hooked up my parking sensors. I also found a black wire in the same area and assumed that was a ground and hooked into that. I am having problems with the sensors though. Is it right to assume that black wires = ground?

Here are some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I also used my handy dandy test light to find the reverse wire closer to the dash so I can hook the reverse wire trigger from the headunit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Usually, black is ground but its better to use either a test light or meter to find ground; test light connected to a HOT wire and the probe touching ground wires. Same for a meter; one probe connected to 12v and the other probe touching ground connected wires. The source of 12v needs a ground and will turn on the light or display 12v on the meter. Or drill and use a self tapping screw into sheet metal for a ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Usually, black is ground but its better to use either a test light or meter to find ground; test light connected to a HOT wire and the probe touching ground wires. Same for a meter; one probe connected to 12v and the other probe touching ground connected wires. The source of 12v needs a ground and will turn on the light or display 12v on the meter. Or drill and use a self tapping screw into sheet metal for a ground.
Thanks I will double check today and see if I do have a grounding problem. I am pretty sure, however, I just have a defective unit which is a pain in the but to uninstall and send back. If that is the case, I may leave off the backup sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Alright! I got the camera installed. Found a "hot" wire in the license plate lights. Tapped into that just fine.

I also found the reverse wire in the back of my car and hooked up my parking sensors. I also found a black wire in the same area and assumed that was a ground and hooked into that. I am having problems with the sensors though. Is it right to assume that black wires = ground?

Here are some pictures:

I also used my handy dandy test light to find the reverse wire closer to the dash so I can hook the reverse wire trigger from the headunit.
shaxs ... you're becoming a auto wiring whiz.

I have two or three thoughts - do the parking sensors expect positive or negative trigger when tied to back-up lighting circuit. It'd be +12 on your Vue.

The only 12V source I could see in rear-hatch is red/blk wire from BCM to the door ajar switch. Many times this voltage is from a small IC and is not really designed for much more than .25 amps. The camera probably does not pull much current but if your hatch ajar lamp comes on - and stays on - it'll be a bad sign.

I checked diagrams for turn signals, parking, brake and back-up lights and the grounds for all are black wire.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
shaxs

Todays update:

Wired the reverse wire close to the dash to the head unit. The backup camera now comes on automatically whenever the car is put into reverse and it switched back to whatever was on the screen after it goes into park. I did blow a fuse at one point to the backup lights. Had to change the fuse under the hood. I didnt have the connection at the head unit taped off while testing and it may have grounded against metal or something.

I ran the video wire up the back pillar and put it under the headliner all the way to the front a-pillar on the passenger side. I was able to use a flathead screwdriver to kind of push it up under the headliner without taking it down. I unfortunately snapped one of the pegs and clips off the top trim piece at the roof and liftgate area. I super glued it back on as it was a clean cut. I hope it holds when I re-install the trim.

I installed the bluetooth mic in the driver side a-pillar at the top where it meets the headliner. Tested it out and my wife says it sounds great. We will see how it sounds once she is going 65 on the highway.

Now back to the backup sensors. Using my multimeter, I was able to ascertain I did tap into a ground wire. I was showing my neighbor (who was also out working on his truck at the time hah) what the issue was. We both agree it is porbably a bad connection in the factory plug (something that came that way from factory). At this point, I am thinking of uninstalling, returning, and forgetting about sensors. With a backup camera, it should be enough. It was a PAIN to wire up this sensor (and camera). I had to remove the exterior liftgate chrome trim to run wires from the license plate area into the suv. That required removing/loosening the rear wiper motor. So its not really something I want to do too often. Here is a video I took to show the manufacturer of what the issue is exactly: http://youtu.be/Ka3XEuZJJQM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
shaxs

FYI incase anyone is interested, these are the install directions: http://www.nvisionsafety.com/doc/601...structions.pdf

I have installed as specified. Just have the wonky connection as shown in the video.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
shaxs

I called tech support and they were less than useless. I think the guy might have been stoned. Not sure. Didnt even understand/know the product. Hes going to send me a new cable.... Okay...

Oh well. My wife wants her car back so it looks like I will be taking off the sensors completely and doing without them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
GaryNewhouse
GaryNewhouse is on a distinguished road

Am trying a similar camera in a 2008 vue....
It's a license plate rig and am having a problem getting plastic lift gate trim/panel off so I can route wiring....two screws and handhold screw don't seem enough to free it....any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GaryNewhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GaryNewhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GaryNewhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNewhouse View Post
Am trying a similar camera in a 2008 vue....
It's a license plate rig and am having a problem getting plastic lift gate trim/panel off so I can route wiring....two screws and handhold screw don't seem enough to free it....any ideas?
Will any of the attached help? Let me know if you need others.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Liftgate Garnish Mldg.pdf (40.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Liftgate Trm Pnl R2.pdf (55.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Liftgate Cntr Applique.pdf (41.5 KB, 30 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
GaryNewhouse
GaryNewhouse is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Thanks

QUOTE=far2grumpy;1852944]Will any of the attached help? Let me know if you need others.[/QUOTE]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GaryNewhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GaryNewhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GaryNewhouse is offline   Reply With Quote