SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Goldronin
Goldronin is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Sad No codes, idle problems -- potential TPS issue?

Hi, I'm new to the forums - been here before to check on issues and it's always been very helpful.

I have a 2000 SC1, 5-speed manual, 145K miles. My car's had a series of problems since the tuneup my mechanic did earlier this year. They're telling me since there's no code they can't fix the problems. Symptoms are as follows:
High Idle in neutral, 1500-2000 RPM and will stick there regardless of what I do. Occurrence and duration unpredictable but it's happening almost every time I drive it now. Hot or cold engine, doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes it will abruptly come back down on it's own but it can take 10 minutes or more to do so. Putting it in gear while moving will drag it down to an appropriate level, but once in neutral it surges back up. In low gear - if I don't press the brake it'll keep on going as if I were on the gas still. Really weird!
A scan showed the TPS Circuit at 86 instead of 100 (at least thats what the mechanic said). Could that cause all this? No Vacuum leaks supposedly, and PCV valve was just replaced (the one they put in was no good). ECTS was replaced a while back. I told them to check the TPS but he said it wasn't that.... that was before he got the 86 reading though.
Possibly unrelated: Recently, sluggish when starting in the mornings (temps in the 30s overnight). Idle when not surging is a little bit shaky... maybe bad sparks too? It has a persistent whine, increasing with speed of engine (not power steering, supposedly... mechanic replaced it twice already).

I'm probably going to take it to another local shop since my mech's been really unhelpful with all this. (They screwed up a few of my dash light fuses while working on it and left a bolt out from gods know where then said it wasn't them... so I'm moving on.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goldronin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goldronin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goldronin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No codes, idle problems -- potential TPS issue?

1-Check to be sure the coolant sensor is the flat nosed brass one and not the original round nosed plastic one. Then check to be sure the connector isn't fouled or corroded otherwise replace it as a fouled connector does the the same harm as using a damaged sensor.

2-If the temperature gauge needle hovers over the 1/4 mark, replace the old worn out thermostat with a new 195F one. A damaged coolant sensor, fouled connector and old t-stat contribute to prolonged rich running and high idling.

3-A quick tps test; a high idle that can be reset by simply shutting off the engine for a restart with a return to a normal idle without touching the throttle tends to point to a worn out tps. Its recommended to use OEM tps' only.

4-If plugs weren't replaced, replace them with plain copper plugs.

5-At 145k miles, replace the fuel filter.

A good throttle cleaning should round out this major maintenance tune up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked ects.jpg (39.2 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
porphyre
porphyre has a spectacular aura aboutporphyre has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
3-A quick tps test; a high idle that can be reset by simply shutting off the engine for a restart with a return to a normal idle without touching the throttle tends to point to a worn out tps. Its recommended to use OEM tps' only.
Do this test.

Also just turn the car on and let it sit for a while. Does it idle high?

If not, blip the throttle a few times, does it then start idling high?

With the car running, pop the hood and wiggle the TPS wires. I'm not 100% sure where it's located on an SC1. If the idle changes when you wiggle the wires and connector, it's bad.

You can get the ACDelco from RockAuto.com for around $40 shipped to the lower 48. You need a T-20 (if I recall correctly) driver to remove the two bolts on the sensor. It's a 5 minute replacement job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to porphyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help porphyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I'm guessing TPS based on what was written. ECTS should be replaced also if it is the original.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
BitterB
BitterB is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Your high idle is almost exactly what I'm dealing with on my 2000 SL with 197,000. I had a few other issues and have done this so far:
replaced PCV
replaced ECTS
replaced thermostat
cleaned throttle body
replaced IACS
cleaned EGR, which was completely gunked shut.

No changes except for usually a slightly higher idle. I've diagnosed some minor intake leaks by spraying carb cleaner while it was running but have no experience to know how much of a leak can cause how much high idle.

Tomorrow I'm going to change out the throttle body gasket, as after I cleaned the throttle body, is when my idle went up. May have munged the gasket a bit re-installing it. I hope. That will be an easy and cheap fix it is works.

If that doesn't work, probably try a new TPS since I really don't want to attempt replacing the intake gasket myself and don't want to pay someone else to do it.

Good luck, please post results here once you get it fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BitterB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BitterB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BitterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
porphyre
porphyre has a spectacular aura aboutporphyre has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

You know, this is REALLY easy to troubleshoot if you've got an OBDII reader. It's as simple as this: if the TPS reading is <> 0 when your foot is off the pedal, the TPS is bad.

If the guy at Autozone looks like he's not too busy and actually has a reader instead of just a code scanner, you can diagnose this in the parking lot in about 10 seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to porphyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help porphyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Goldronin
Goldronin is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Wow! Thanks for the help! I have a few things to check, it seems.
Will post once I have more info/ a solution, hopefully. (I'm not super handy myself, so I'll have to see if I can get a friend over after the holiday to help me out.)

ECTS was replaced with a brass one (second Saturn I've had, so I knew to catch it early) - but I didn't think to check for damage to the one we put in.
Spark plugs replaced, i assume, at the tuneup 4 months back... though I am thinking I should check them again, what with the shaky idle and all.
Testing from startup, I -think- it does occasionally fly up to 2000 RPM just from moving the car forward a bit in neutral (I park on a slight hill). Might point to something else being wrong, if that's the case. I'll have to see when it happens again.

Does anyone know where I can find an image of where the TPS wires are on a 2000 SC1?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goldronin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goldronin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goldronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A tps wiring harness picture isn't needed; the tps is directly opposite the throttle cable 'D' pulley on the throttle body. One side of the throttle shaft has the throttle cable connection while the opposite side has the tps. The tps has its own wiring harness along with the idle air control valve harness going to the pcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Hey did you ever find the problem?
I had an 02 sl1 with the same problem. The 3rd gen sohc is notorious for having intake gasket failure on the passenger side. If you spray some carb cleaner at cylinder 1 intake gasket (1st intake runner on passenger side where it meets the cylinder head)I bet you'll get a change in idle , thus solving your problem

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote