SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
helistructor
helistructor is on a distinguished road

Default bypassing EGR

99 SL1 and I'd like to put a plate between the egr vallve and the gasket to bypass the valve all together. Leaving the vavle to function, just not bypassing any exhaust gas. Will this cause any check engine lights? I already have one because the dang thing needs to be cleaned once a year or so.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to helistructor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help helistructor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
helistructor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: bypassing EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by helistructor View Post
99 SL1 and I'd like to put a plate between the egr vallve and the gasket to bypass the valve all together. Leaving the vavle to function, just not bypassing any exhaust gas. Will this cause any check engine lights? I already have one because the dang thing needs to be cleaned once a year or so.

Thanks
Richpin has a video describing how to do this using a beer can. When I was testing various SMOG results I blocked the passage using this method to determine the affect on HC, CO (and obviously NO). I only ran it for about 20 miles. However, the pressure seemed to be starting to get the best of the aluminum as it was starting to bow from the pressure/heat.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

If you don't like replacing exhaust valves, I wouldn't advise blocking off the EGR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
helistructor
helistructor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
If you don't like replacing exhaust valves, I wouldn't advise blocking off the EGR.
I'm just curious if blocking the EGR system, if it will cause adverse side effects. THought I'd ask on here before trial and error.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to helistructor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help helistructor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
helistructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I used a piece of tin my dad used for flooring in the cab of his F150. I triple layered it as I couldn't get one layer to be flat and 3 seemed to do the trick. If your going to sandwich it under the EGR valve then you'll only need one layer. It got a pair of rather black circles, but showed no signs of burning after a couple months.

Something about the way it works though helps prevent cyl 4's valves from overheating.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
postmortal1
postmortal1 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2
1993 SL2

Exhaust valve issue is false from my experience. I have a 91 SL2 with 250K on it and EGR has been blocked off for 210,000 + of those extremely hard miles.. And am currently driving 94 SW2 with EGR blocked off for around 50,000. I have heard of this valve burning issue but never saw it..
Now to your question of codes... YES you will have nothing but codes and then your cruise control won't work or other stuff associated with the OBDII system in your car.. I formally had a 97 SW2 for about a year and tired of the endless codes so I sold it.. This car i tried everything to bypass the egr even went as far as to vent it to atmosphere in an attempt to fool the computer into believing that the EGR was functioning.. NOPE can't trick it, as big brother decided to make sure you couldn't do that stuff with a 96 and newer car..
So yeah just clean your egr every 6 months or buy a new one with a warranty and exchange it. Better yet sell your car and buy a simple OBD1 car and do whatever YOU want with YOUR car...

My current collection: 91SL2, 92SC2, 93SL2, 94SL2, 94SW2, 95SL2, 97SW2(FOR SALE), 98SL1, 91SL2 and growing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to postmortal1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help postmortal1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
postmortal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

If you do a good job cleaning it, it should last several years before needing to be cleaned again. Just blocking off the EGR won't burn your valves (in the short-term, at least), but leaving it unblocked will help prevent damage to the valves in the event of other problems. It also reduces emissions and improves gas mileage. There really isn't any reason to block it off (there is absolutely no performance benefit).

And yes, blocking it will set a check engine light if it's OBDII ('96 and newer).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I've never owned an OBD1 Saturn (Thank the Lord) but have owned 8 OBD2 saturns (in the family...5 personally) and I've cleaned an EGR valve at total of...wait for it... 3 times. And I live in the PRK...no problems yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

The only reason to block it off is if its sticking open or if you are having issues and you want to isolate the EGR valve for testing.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
If you do a good job cleaning it, it should last several years before needing to be cleaned again. Just blocking off the EGR won't burn your valves (in the short-term, at least), but leaving it unblocked will help prevent damage to the valves in the event of other problems. It also reduces emissions and improves gas mileage. There really isn't any reason to block it off (there is absolutely no performance benefit).

And yes, blocking it will set a check engine light if it's OBDII ('96 and newer).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What you can do to try and minimize the carbon build up is what's been tried by others with varying degrees of success; remove the egr valve and start the engine for a brief LOUD run as the exhaust an intake ports are open to pin the rpm at its rev limit while helping the exhaust system blow out any loose exhaust deposits. A partially warm engine may be better than a cold engine since the exposed intake port will allow the engine to run up to the built in rev limit. A minute or less is all that's needed to blow out the exhaust deposits. Then replace the egr valve. This should be good for a while depending on oil consumption/burning/blowby.

As mentioned, running with the egr valve ports blocked off hasn't accelerated any burned valves unless this was blamed on the egr ports blocked off when the engine already had lean fuel issues to begin with. If you feel the blowing out of the exhaust manifold won't help and blocking is needed, you can try carefully blocking either intake or exhaust port where this won't interfere with the egr valve pintle movement to seat completely. The egr valve has a position sensor that feeds back to the pcm so interfering with free movement with any blocking gasket can cause position errors. A semi permanent block should be sheet metal that won't melt as quickly as aluminum soda can material.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Does the egr valve have anything to do with oil consumption? I wouldn't think it does but......maybe a stupid question.....

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
postmortal1
postmortal1 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2
1993 SL2

^^^^^^ nope.

My current collection: 91SL2, 92SC2, 93SL2, 94SL2, 94SW2, 95SL2, 97SW2(FOR SALE), 98SL1, 91SL2 and growing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to postmortal1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help postmortal1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
postmortal1 is offline   Reply With Quote