SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
SaturnGirl03
SaturnGirl03 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 03 Ion Engine light blinking/car shaking

Hi, my saturn ion's engine light started blinking and car was shaking and was loud with a gas smell coming off it. Mechanic replaced ICM and spark plugs and something about the exhaust? Got it back, was running fine even though engine light stayed lit. Now it's a week later and it's doing exact same thing! Not sure what this could be, I'm no good with cars at all but mechanic isnt really sure whats going on either. Any suggestions would be sooo appreciated. I should also mention sometimes it runs fine as if it fixed itself and other times it does it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGirl03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGirl03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 03 Ion Engine light blinking/car shaking

you need to get the codes read. your local parts store can do it for free, unless you live in california.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
SaturnGirl03

He did have the codes read which lead him to do the fixes he did..but I know nothing about these things..just was trying to see if anyone else ever had this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGirl03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Without the specific codes any suggested repairs would just be speculation. I have my "guesses" based upon what your mechanic replaced/might not have replaced. I personally wouldn't go back to that mechanic, especially after having "fixed" the car...yet the MIL was still illuminated. Get the codes read at a local parts store such as Autozone, O'reilly's, advance autoparts, ect...It's free, easy, and takes no time at all. Come back and post the exact codes and you will get better feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
SaturnGirl03

Ok thanks for responding. Mechanic has car right now so i wont be able to get the codes on here :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
SaturnGirl03

ok just called and asked him he said the code was po300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnGirl03 View Post
ok just called and asked him he said the code was po300
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

The site doesn't mention Fuel... but any chance "Bad Fuel" might be at least part of the problem? Have you addressed anything with the Fuel Injector(s)?

Personally a big fan of using "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standard" Fuels when possible... also while not a guarantee using some Fuel System Cleaner Additive on occasion might help unclog a dirty Injector.

If the Plugs were original did the Mechanic say what condition they were in? (How many miles? The original Platinum plugs would be due for change out before 100,000 miles. I changed mine out just recently and they looked due... Approx. 92,000. I've heard some suggest a earlier with the Platinums while Iridiums are Good for 100,000.)

Seems silly but did the Mechanic "reset" the light? Did you at least drive out of the shop with a "clear" Instrument Panel? Or was the Mechanic still concerned there might be addition concerns?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you might need new ignition coils, and make sure the plugs they put in are NOT bosch brand.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have a feeling the mechanic didnít replace the ICM and Coil Pack as a pair (your original post did not indicate a coil pack replacement). If you do a search for P0300 on the forum, the typical problem is the coil pack or the icm fail. Personally, I would replace all three ignition components (spark plugs, coil pack, and ICM). One faulty component can damage the others. I had the same code on my wife's '02 L200 (still the same eco tec 2.2L) and found out the hard way as well. I thought i narrowed the problem down to the coils (switching components out with my known good Ion components). All was fine for about a week or two, but then the problem came back. I then proceeded to replace the Coils/ICM as a pair and the problem has been resolved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
SaturnGirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

The site doesn't mention Fuel... but any chance "Bad Fuel" might be at least part of the problem? Have you addressed anything with the Fuel Injector(s)?

Personally a big fan of using "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standard" Fuels when possible... also while not a guarantee using some Fuel System Cleaner Additive on occasion might help unclog a dirty Injector.

If the Plugs were original did the Mechanic say what condition they were in? (How many miles? The original Platinum plugs would be due for change out before 100,000 miles. I changed mine out just recently and they looked due... Approx. 92,000. I've heard some suggest a earlier with the Platinums while Iridiums are Good for 100,000.)

Seems silly but did the Mechanic "reset" the light? Did you at least drive out of the shop with a "clear" Instrument Panel? Or was the Mechanic still concerned there might be addition concerns?

Is the "fuel system cleaner additive" something I can get at Autozone? Mechanic didn't say what condition plugs were in..112,000 miles are on it. I didn't get the car back with a clear instrument panel. He said he wasnt sure if it had fixed it or not..just drive it and see how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
SaturnGirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubagod767 View Post
I have a feeling the mechanic didnít replace the ICM and Coil Pack as a pair (your original post did not indicate a coil pack replacement). If you do a search for P0300 on the forum, the typical problem is the coil pack or the icm fail. Personally, I would replace all three ignition components (spark plugs, coil pack, and ICM). One faulty component can damage the others. I had the same code on my wife's '02 L200 (still the same eco tec 2.2L) and found out the hard way as well. I thought i narrowed the problem down to the coils (switching components out with my known good Ion components). All was fine for about a week or two, but then the problem came back. I then proceeded to replace the Coils/ICM as a pair and the problem has been resolved.
You're correct, he first replaced coil pack then found that wasn't the problem so tried doing ICM...I'm not positive on this.. (I'm sorry I'm so bad with cars I have no idea..I make my husband deal with the Mechanic the most) but I think he took the new coil pack out after that wasnt the problem? I will call today and ask him to be sure and tell him your suggestion of replacing them as a pair. This does seem like it could be a solution if I'm right about him removing the new coil pack. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnGirl03 View Post
Is the "fuel system cleaner additive" something I can get at Autozone? Mechanic didn't say what condition plugs were in..112,000 miles are on it. I didn't get the car back with a clear instrument panel. He said he wasnt sure if it had fixed it or not..just drive it and see how it goes.
At 112,000 miles... Original Plugs were due. Crossing my fingers Tubagod767's suggestion will resolve your issue.

Re: "Fuel System Cleaner"
You'll find a ton of different Fuel Additives at Autozone (or any other place that supplies Auto Parts/Fuel and services vehicles.).

As I mentioned (and GM recommends) using a "Top Tier Detergent Standard" Gasoline regularly as a good long term preventative option... Otherwise, you can buy a variety of Detergent Gas Additives (from $1 to $$$$) that might help your Fuel System stay cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
SaturnGirl03

Talked to mechanic and yes he had replaced coil pack but when that wasnt the problem, returned the part. He is going to get a new coil pack in it. He also wanted me to ask in here if this car is ever known for the fuel rail rusting for injectors?? He was looking at this being another option but guess he's not sure. I miss my car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Not sure what you're actually asking, but the fuel rails are not a typical problem, the injectors have gone bad, especially when owners don't follow gm's advice to use top tier gas

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
SaturnGirl03

Ok, we are going to replace coil pack but does this mean ICM might be bad too since it wasnt replaced at same time???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
warrenc
warrenc is on a distinguished road

I for one am not sure what an ICM is. A PCM is a powertrain control module, but an ICM would be? Injection control?
Another easy and cheap thing to do is to clean the throttle body. It can cause some misfires and set some codes if dirty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warrenc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warrenc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warrenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Ignition control module. No, it should be fine having only been in there a short time. The throttle body wouldn't cause a misfire. it won't hurt to clean it, but it wouldn't cause this...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #18
warrenc
warrenc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Ignition control module. No, it should be fine having only been in there a short time. The throttle body wouldn't cause a misfire. it won't hurt to clean it, but it wouldn't cause this...
I would normally agree, but I've seen it happen several times on a Hyundai Accent. Starts running rough, CEL light comes on for random misfires. Clean the throttle body and all is good again. It happened about every 4-5000 miles.

Just plain strange, I agree. It wouldn't even be that dirty in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warrenc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warrenc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warrenc is offline   Reply With Quote