SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Rivy2112
Rivy2112 is on a distinguished road

Default Windshield Washer Issues - HELP!!

Hello, new to this forum and I have an '08 XE with about 48K on it and it was empty with washer fluid for about a week or two. When I went to refill with fluid only the driver's side sprayer worked with very low pressure and the passenger's side did not work at all. I tried to pump it through for a good 3-4 minutes and nothing, I almost went through a half gallon of fluid.

I am curious if anyone else has ran into this problem and if so, what did they do to correct this? If the pump is bad, will it only come out of one nozzle? I would think that if one hose/nozzle was clogged that the other would still have good pressure.

Any suggestions and/or comments are really appreciated! I just don't want to go ripping off the liner on the inside of the hood or pay a mechanic a boat load of money if it is something simple. I live in Minnesota so I will need these to be working ASAP since winter is upon me and salt will be on the roads any day now.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivy2112's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivy2112 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Windshield Washer Issues - HELP!!

Check all the hoses under the hood to the nozzles. One may be disconnected or blocked.

Also check the nozzles themselves. May be clogged, try using a needle and poke at the holes.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L & '13 Suzuki Kizashi S 6MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

when in doubt, get the BFH out!

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivy2112

I guess I'm not familiar with what "BFH" stands for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rivy2112 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivy2112

^And that was not intended to be a smart a** remark, it was sincere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
golftango

BFH = "Big ******* Hammer"

Definitely not the tool you need for your issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Highly unlikely... but have you been using -20F/-30F/-35F grade Fluids? Before and after it Ran Dry?

Curious if weather conditions might be at least some of your concern. Of course if this problem exists after you're engine/vehicle/Weather is warmed up.

Assuming a "standard" clog (non-weather/temp related)... Have you attempted to clean the nozzles? Either washing the nozzle heads and/or using some compressed air to unclog them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Rivy2112

I just purchased the car in March and this is the first time it has ran dry so I am not sure what type of washer fluid was in there before. But the type that I put in after it went dry was the premium fluid, I don't recall the exact temperature ranges, but it was the more expensive stuff.

I have not had a chance to tinker around with the hoses or nozzles, I am going to try and use a tooth brush or a needle with some soapy water or vinegar and compressed air to see if it is in the nozzles or not.

I just don't want to have to tear apart the inside hood liner if I don't have to that is why I was checking to see if anyone else has had this problem on the Aura specifically. I'm used to trucks so BFH can actually work sometimes! :-)

But I am curious as to why there is no pressure if there would be a clog? If the pump is still forcing the same volume of liquid through the hose, one would think that if only one of the nozzles works, the pressure would be higher and would spray fluid all over my windshield, rather than just hitting the bottom 1/4 of the windshield. Does this make sense to anybody else? I figure it would be like the effect of putting your thumb over the garden hose nozzle.

Thanks again for all the replies and help, it is really appreciated and hopefully I can get this figured out before we get our first MN Blurricane!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
BFH = "Big ******* Hammer"

Definitely not the tool you need for your issue.
sarcasm

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Suppose it depends on the Pump and Tubing Layout. It does seem likely you'd have more Pressure but if you've got some serious clogging... if the "thumb" is covering the hose enough, the "High Pressure" will be impressive but the flow will be restricted and you'll not have enough fluid to propel it very far.

I'll cross my fingers for you. While the vehicle may not be old enough... look for signs of washer fluid "deposits" at the Filler Tube (or Tank if it's easy to see... on the ION looking under the bumper or pulling the Headlight Assembly gives you a better view) this might give you some idea of what your pump/nozzles might look like in Miniature.

Use of Tap Water might show lime/calcium/rust deposits. Use of various Washer Fluids might leave gummy or crusty (usually colored) deposits. Or maybe you'll have a little of everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
golftango

Try putting almost boiling water in the reservoir...maybe the hot water will unclog it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Try putting almost boiling water in the reservoir...maybe the hot water will unclog it.
Not a bad idea... but maybe stick with HOT Tap Water instead of something you pull off the Stove. Don't need to melt your Washer System...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Broe\ken nozzle. Remove the liner and you'll likely see the hose hanging with a piece of the nozzle attached to it. It's easy to fix with new nozzles. they are cheap plastic and destroy easily. Getting them out is easy. Hardest part is removing the liner.

Had same symptoms as you. This is what it was.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Broe\ken nozzle. Remove the liner and you'll likely see the hose hanging with a piece of the nozzle attached to it. It's easy to fix with new nozzles. they are cheap plastic and destroy easily. Getting them out is easy. Hardest part is removing the liner.

Had same symptoms as you. This is what it was.
Just went out and investigated the wife's car, which was having a similar issue:

Both nozzles broken. The plastic was extremely brittle, like the washer fluid ate through it.

Anyone have the part numbers, or should my local chevy dealer have that?

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepope View Post
Just went out and investigated the wife's car, which was having a similar issue:

Both nozzles broken. The plastic was extremely brittle, like the washer fluid ate through it.

Anyone have the part numbers, or should my local chevy dealer have that?
Heard of that issue before. Seems to be a problem in freezing climates.

GM# 15247800

some generic ones here on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Pinch the washer nozzle from the bottom side in order to release the nozzle and push the nozzle outboard from the hood to remove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

I bought one from the dealer. $22 for 1!! And I bet it will break in 3 years. One thing I did was to attach the hose to the hood. At least it won't be bouncing around between the heat shield and the hood. Glued on those square plastic zip tie blocks to the underside of the hood, then zip tied the hoses down.

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Heard of that issue before. Seems to be a problem in freezing climates.

GM# 15247800

some generic ones here on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Pinch the washer nozzle from the bottom side in order to release the nozzle and push the nozzle outboard from the hood to remove.
Thanks for the help. Replaced booth since they were all FUBAR. $42 bucks. Also it was 3 degrees when I was changing them (no joke, it's hitting 15 below tonight). Easy as pie to change, but i'm concerned I'll have to do it again in a few years.

Both were broken. The nipples were stuck in the rubber hose couplers, but they were deteriorated like they were made of charcoal so they just disintigrated and fell out using a key. Pumped the washer fluid a bit to flush any debris then hooked up.

Far and away the most difficult thing was removing the liner on the hood. I pretty much destroyed the little fasteners that hold the rubber strip on at the front.

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepope View Post
Thanks for the help. Replaced booth since they were all FUBAR. $42 bucks. Also it was 3 degrees when I was changing them (no joke, it's hitting 15 below tonight). Easy as pie to change, but i'm concerned I'll have to do it again in a few years.

Both were broken. The nipples were stuck in the rubber hose couplers, but they were deteriorated like they were made of charcoal so they just disintigrated and fell out using a key. Pumped the washer fluid a bit to flush any debris then hooked up.

Far and away the most difficult thing was removing the liner on the hood. I pretty much destroyed the little fasteners that hold the rubber strip on at the front.
21 bucks a piece for molded plastic. I'm definitely in the wrong business.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
jonaura08
jonaura08 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had the same problem (Passenger side nothing, Driver Side very little). The Washer Nozzle is probably corroded, broken off, and/or worn out. This was the easiest repair ever. Go to Chevrolet Dealer and request two new washer nozzles GM Part No. 15247800. I purchased them for $48.57 (including tax). Don't be tempted to to buy only one, this is no time to be frugal.

I would not recommend using any aftermarket "universal" nozzles, they may work, but why risk it.

Carefully remove the four black plastic buttons of the hood insulation (you will need to replace them when done, so don't rush and break them in a hurry to remove them).

Carefully bend the retaining tabs that are holding the edge of the hood insulation in place.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ANYTHING ELSE. The hood insulation will hang down from the front (like a hinge) allowing you complete access to the old washer nozzles and supply hose.

At this point, you will probably notice that the old washer nozzles are broken and the supply hose is hanging loose.

Using adjustable pliers, break off the old nozzles, they will probably crumble as they are brittle and old.

Install the new washer nozzles with a satisfying "click" as they lock in. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to be sure to install the new nozzles so that the hole is pointing toward the windshield.

Make certain that you use a scratch awl or other similarly pointed tool to remove any residue and debris from the old washer nozzle from the supply hose coupling.

With the supply hose hanging to the side of the Aura, turn the key to "ON" and press the washer button on the steering column to flush the supply hose of any residue and debris.

Next, attach the supply hose coupling onto the new washer nozzles.

Test, function and check for leaks with hood up and hood insulation loose.

Everything fine?

Reinstall the hood insulation by reversing the above procedure.

Fill your washer bottle with GOOD fluid for the appropriate season.

Close the hood.

Check your repair again (WOW, they really spray now don't they) and be happy that this didn't cost a fortune to correct.

Cheers,

Jon in Michigan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonaura08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonaura08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonaura08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
JoetheMobster
JoetheMobster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
when in doubt, get the BFH out!
ROFLMAO - isn't that the truth!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoetheMobster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoetheMobster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoetheMobster is offline   Reply With Quote