SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Kuiawa3
Kuiawa3 is on a distinguished road

Happy Weird Noise

I have had my ION for a few weeks now and the weather is starting to get nicer.

I decided to put the windows down when I was out the other day (had to try out the power windows my car car w/them)

Well I put the front windows down; no problem, I put the rear windows down; no problem.

I then put the front windows up it was kind of noisy for my liking. I started hearing this really weird noise w/just the rear windows down driving about 60mph. If I slowed down the noise went a way and it I put the rear windows up the noise went away. At first I thought it was somekind of weird "reverb" form the sub in the back but the noise was still there when I tunred the radio off.

Anyone else hear this "weird" noise when driving about 60mph w/just the rear windows down?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kuiawa3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kuiawa3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I think it is just from the pressure difference with the front up with the back windows down at that speed if I am reading your post correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
I haven't tried this yet with my ION but I can attest that when you drive a VUE with just the rear windows down you hear a loud vibrating wind sound. That would be the first thing I would suspect with the ION too as it is not an uncommon effect on many cars. On the VUE the noise stops when you also open the front windows a bit and change the airflow pattern.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

I have something similar to this with one of my s-series cars. It's a low-frequency resonance. Close one of the back windows or change the speed up or down a bit and it goes away. Thought the tires may be causing it, so rebalanced to no effect. Moved back tires to front and vice versa - no impact. Learned to live with it.

I had a Citation that resonated so badly and at such a low frequency that the car literally became painful (on the ears) to ride in. The car pool hated that. Bump the speed up or down a mile per hour and it would magically go away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I saw this phenomenon back when I had my first Saturn, a '93 SL2. I thought it would be useful to crack the sunroof, keep the front windows up and lower the rears to get good air flow on a hot day and still be able to hear the radio well.

Well, I got this resonant buffeting that almost made my ears hurt. I think it is perfectly normal and just a function of the aerodynamics.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:36 AM   #6
benpatient
benpatient is on a distinguished road

yeah. it's an aerodynamic effect, air trying to go in, and not getting in, but increasing pressure, then slipping off, decreasing pressure. it builds up and causes almost a thumping sound that can really hurt your ears if it is bad enough. different cars have this to varying degrees. if you have 2 windows open, try cracking open a 3rd window, and it will usually go away. or just roll them all up anyway, because having the windows open hurts mpg at speed as much as having the AC on...drag

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benpatient's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benpatient reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

It sounds like it's mostly tire noise to me. At high speeds, the tires, especially newer ones, have a whining noise. My Mistubishi Eclipse was really bad about it. The only time I hear it in the ION is when I have all of my music down, or I'm listening to something quiet, like NPR news.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had this happen a few days ago, everyone is right when they say it's the air pressure, and it really, really hurts the ears. Every car I have ever owned is like this to some extent.

Something else to notice along these lines... open the driver's front window, notice how windy it is, keep the window open then open the driver's rear window, suddenly the wind goes away! This is why I can't stand crank windows with a 4-door, unless you can reach the rear crank.

No offence to anyone, but this happened to my sister with her new car. She felt the pressure change and was scared. My response was, "you are 21 and never had the windows open before?" I'm such a snot to my sister- it toughens her up in the long run though!

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Now I know what you are talking about! I had my front windows down and I was going about 65 MPH. It was really windy outside. There was a really loud rumble coming from the back of the car! Creepy. Putting the rear windows down halfway corrected it. That's some weird noise. I'm wondering how much air gets deflected from blowing in the doors. Doesn't seem like much. It all seems to get trapped in the car and vibrates from all of the air pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
I had my ION out on a longer drive today and as it was warm here I experimented with the windows. It definitely was the airflow causing the resonating noise with just the back windows down. I didn't find it as bad as our VUE under similar conditions though. The problem is easliy eliminated by also opening front windows or cooling the car just with the vents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread