SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fixing the F5 Issue (No power in fusebox to chime, dome light, fuel pump)

The OEM design is for a 10A switched power circuit and a 10A continuous power circuit. The switched 10A circuit is designed for the radio head unit power and on/off control. The continuous power circuit was designed for maintaining memory only. The problem is that the continuous power circuit is on F-5 and the foreign designed head units have reversed this power scheme. Switched is on/off control only and everything else is on the F-5 circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #42
nick.evans
nick.evans has a spectacular aura aboutnick.evans has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Fixing the F5 Issue (No power in fusebox to chime, dome light, fuel pump)

I just wanted to come back and say that it has been almost 3 months and the problem originally mentioned has not occurred once since the fix I posted. At this point I am confident in saying that soldering the direct connection to the F5 pin as demonstrated has fixed my problem. Again, OldNuc has stated this might not be the solution for all, but it seems to have fixed my issue. Just wanted to share that it worked for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nick.evans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nick.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #43
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Direct soldering apples heat to the internal mechanical connection to the power bus. This heat can, in some instances, release the tension that maintains that internal connection's integrity. If this happens then you replace the entire I/P Panel as it is non-reparable at this point. The risk of this internal connection failing is not insignificant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #44
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
nick.evans

The fix is to remove the female connector from the plug and clean it up and re-spring it to increase contact pressure. Then you have to look at any aftermarket loads that are connected to the I/P continuous power, lighter socket and radio are the big offenders. Below are the instructions on how to get the female connector out of the plug body. If you inadvertently trash this connector I have spares.

That red(pink) wire is a direct connection to the IP BAT fuse in the UHJB. If you have decided it is the problem fixing is usually not that bad. You disconnect the battery negative terminal and then unbolt the center bolt in the black 68 pin plug. Once the bolt spins free grab the wire bundle and wiggle it all the way out. take a small chunk of scotch brite and clean up the F-5 pin in the panel. Just get it clean on at least one side. To fix the connector in the plug you remove the blue connection assurance clip that is on the side of the plug. pull the one that holds F-5. Once that lock is out you look at the face of the plug and locate F-5. Look closely and you will see that one side is rounded under. On that side you insert the end of a flat type of bobby pin under that rounded side and when it stops you can gently pull on the back end by the red (pink) wire and it will slide out when unlatched. If it does not slide right out slightly twist the bobby pin to lift the latch. Once out re-spring the latch slightly and clean up the section that slides over the pin. Use scotch brite instead of any abrasive paper. Reassemble and reconnect negative lead at battery.

Do not attempt to directly solder to the pin in the I/P panel, the heat will potentially destroy the internal connection.

It is a shame that the search or advanced search function on this forum draws a 29" Hg vacuum on an onion sack as I have multiple posts relating to this exact failure and how to fix it.
What about use of a conductive grease, maybe heat sink compound?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #45
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.9 sohc View Post
What about use of a conductive grease, maybe heat sink compound?
There is no such thing as conductive grease, keep it out of your car or you will have more problems than you can deal with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #46
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL

Quote:
There is no such thing as conductive grease, keep it out of your car or you will have more problems than you can deal with.
This stuff...

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.htm...FYZoKgodbELwzA

Also I thought heat sink compound conducted electricity. The compound that you smear on the bottom side of a GM ignition control module that mounts in the distributor. That would not help?

Last edited by 1.9 sohc; 04-17-2012 at 08:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #47
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do not use any grease, even no-ox-id.

Heat sink or dielectric grease is silicon grease and it is an insulator.

You are going to have to fix this correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #48
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Quote:
Do not use any grease, even no-ox-id.

Heat sink or dielectric grease is silicon grease and it is an insulator.

You are going to have to fix this correctly.
No-ox-id is not an insulator correct? The fix is clean the terminals and bend the tab to it touches better correct? Why would No-ox-id not help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #49
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It will not solve your problem. The tab to bend is in the terminal on the end of the wire not the pin on the I/P panel. Jury rig this and you will be replacing the connector and I/P panel. The panel is year/model specific and is only economically available from a JY. OEM price is ~650.00, if you can get one. You do not have to tear the dash apart to fix this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #50
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

In my 98 SL everything still works, but my dash/radio/cup holder/cig lighter ring lights flicker. They seem to flicker randomly. BUT only flicker if the parking lights or headlights are turned on. The radio light or dome or odometer never flicker unless headlights are turned on. Would this still be F5, the headlights must also be on this one fuse box connection? It could not be the headlight switch could it?

I may have to wait until the weekend to take the fuse box apart and clean the F5 terminal. Its the jiggling of the bobby pin part that I find a little interpretive. Maybe it will be self explanitory when I see it?

I'm wodnering now, since in the future when I install a cd deck I plan to run a separate power line to the battery for the aftermarket stereo, and for the cig lighter. If I should do something for the headlights too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Quote:
It will not solve your problem. The tab to bend is in the terminal on the end of the wire not the pin on the I/P panel. .
The tab to bend is on the end of the wire? Like a spade of sorts? That seems easier. Maybe I am confused by the use of the word terminal. I thought a wire went into a terminal, if the part to bend is on the wire it isn't in the terminal right? Or you are saying the wiggle the bobby pin bit is just to get the wire "a spade type end" out of the terminal. Then clean and bend it and put it back in. Are there any pics of this wire removed from its terminal?

Thanks I guesss I don't know what holds the wire in the terminal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The wire has a terminal end, it locks into the plug body. You have to remove it, clean it up, re spring the latch and restore the tension on the contact part. You also have to clean the pin in the panel without destroying the coating that remains.

This repair has been done multiple times and several people have posted pictures. Advanced search will find them.

You have yet to verify that this is actually your problem, which should be the first step.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #53
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have to search using a minimum of 4 letter words and for the symptoms and not F-5. This failure cause the chime to fail, engine to not start or stay running, dome light not working, radio loses memory etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #54
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Quote:
You have yet to verify that this is actually your problem, which should be the first step.

You have to search using a minimum of 4 letter words and for the symptoms and not F-5. This failure cause the chime to fail, engine to not start or stay running, dome light not working, radio loses memory etc.
How do I verify this is my problem? The only symptom I have is flickering lights.

I just advanced searched:
Searched titles “dome radio loses memory”
searched all open forums
1: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Searched entire thread “dome radio loses memory”
searched all open forums
It only found this thread we are currently in.

What do you suggest I search?

Last edited by 1.9 sohc; 04-18-2012 at 12:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Quote:
The wire has a terminal end, it locks into the plug body. You have to remove it, clean it up, re spring the latch and restore the tension on the contact part. .
Found this generic pic online, is this wht is on the end of that F5 wire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #56
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No, it is not. There is a picture of one n this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #57
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Quote:
No, it is not. There is a picture of one n this thread.
I see one viewed from teh back and from the front, but it is still stuck in its plastic mount, not removed. So I really can't see what it look slike to know what to wiggle the bobby pin on to get it out. It would just be helpful. I must be blind?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Look through this thread. This is the pin contact side, the latch is on the bottom. Bobby pin is a bit wide and has to be filed. If you read the instructions I posted the bobby pin goes in on the narrow part of the slot from the front. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170779

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #59
1.9 sohc

2000 SL

Thanks for digging that up, this must be the connection:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1314030796

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #60
144man
144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

Sorry for jumping the thread, but would I be wrong in just running a fused 12GA lead directly from the battery to the cig lighter (taking it off the harness altogether) if I wanted to use it to power a GPS or cell phone charger?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 144man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 144man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
144man is offline   Reply With Quote