SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
99GreenySC2
99GreenySC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Trans Swap Concerns

So i am planning an auto to manual swap soon, but i have come across a concern.. i have a 99 SC2, and i am swapping the trans from a 97 SC2, i know already the PCM wont work from the 97 so i am most likely going to flash mine or buy the proper year manual one..

My main issues come as the Neutral Safety Switch, Reverse Switch, and Wiring Harness difference between the auto and manual?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99GreenySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Trans Swap Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GreenySC2 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Just about everyone that's done the swap could. 1000's of us, lol

Shove a 30a fuse in the NSS plug, splice the reverse light sensor into the square plug (wire colors depend on year). PCM's are plug & play so it'd probably be cheaper to find a '99 5spd in a junkyard then having a dealer reflash yours for $100+.

If you want a proper clutch safety switch like most other 5spds then you'll need it & the wiring from a 5spd, though a brake light switch would probably work just as well. You'd wire it to the NSS plug instead of shoving a fuse in it.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Brake light switch would NOT work. It's at the TOP of the travel, and closes when it's NOT pressed (when the pedal arm moves away from it). Clutch start switch is at the BOTTOM of the travel, and closes when it IS pressed (when the pedal arm pushes it).

The world got along without clutch start interlocks for decades. I keep them connected on my wife's 3/4-ton trucks, because they're three tons each, but I've jumpered mine on my SW2. If you're willing to be conscientious and you know anyone else driving it will be, just skip it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

I'm going off the how to from different racing, and maybe i missed it... but i am going to put the 97 trans into a 99, the reason i am opting for flashing the PCM is because my dad works at a Cadillac dealership so i wouldnt get charged most likely...

As far as the wiring goes, can either of you put up pictures to show me what you mean?

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

HA. I forgot you dad would have a TechII at his disposal. Yeah, +1 for reflash, haha

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

yes yes hah

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Best pic you'll ever get (from hein on 6s)
Even if the colors don't match up perfectly, their position on the connector is more important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manual_swap_trans_wiring_mod.jpg (89.2 KB, 52 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

i see the fuse, and i see the green and pink wires cut and wired up to something else, but i am not sure where all that comes from? is it already in my car or do i need it from a different one?

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

The reverse light switch should be on the transmission already ($20ish part if it isn't or is broke) and the connector needs to be cut out of a 5spd's harness. The rest you already have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

i see how it goes. Nick, IM me if you still dont get it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

i am still confused a little bit... okay the hex sensor i cut off the 97's wiring harness since it goes into tranny, gotcha... but where would the plug for the 30 fuse be on my harness? so i can check and see if its there or not...

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Plugged into the autotragic, on the back side. I believe it plugs into whatever the AT uses as a gear selector which you can see by the 1 sliding cable connected to the transmission, still on the back side.

The ONLY thing you don't already have is the reverse light switch and the pigtail that goes to it, which you have to cut off a 5spd and splice into your harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

so i would need to get under the car to find what i'm looking for..

the NSS and pigtail, is that the sensor? my brain is just taking its sweet time to grasp this crap hah

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

No nick. You remove the intake tubing, and the reverse light switch(the hex sensor) can be seen on the top of the trans. The NSS is the neural safety switch that you're not going to put inyour car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
The NSS is the neural safety switch...
Wow, talk about advanced.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

alex your missing my question -_- hah

the hex yeah its on the 5sp right now, not on mine at all blah blah blah i am talking about the one with the fuse in it... where the frick is that at

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Range selector, that's what the silly thing's called. the black single wire plug, the long rectangular black plug you splice the reverse lights into and the neutral safety switch you put a fuse into are all plugged into it.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92372 should help, I can't find pictures of it though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manual_swap_trans_wiring_mod2.jpg (128.8 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
99GreenySC2

1999 SC2

also, would it be easier on me to remove 5sp and all needed parts in and just put them in my trunk when i go to do this?? cause chances are it'll take place at a shop(of sorts), and i cannot drive the 5sp there cause its not "legally allowed on roads" at the current time, hence why i am using it for this..

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

yeah, just drop the trans out the bottom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!