SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
dierk017
dierk017 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Replacement Battery Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure my battery is going bad as the engine seems to take longer to start, the battery is a little bloated, and it still original.

I want to replace the battery but I don't want to go with what there system recommends. I want to fit the biggest battery that I can with the most CCA and while I don't live in the far north the winters still get into the - 20 degree range in Minnesota so I would like to get a battery with the most Cold Cranking Amps that I can get and fit in there.

Does anyone have suggestions on preferred Battery brand or what the biggest size I can fit.

Thanks,
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dierk017's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dierk017 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dierk017 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Replacement Battery Suggestions

If you want a bigger, more powerfull battery, you will need to fabricate some new battery cables. The current cables are designed to the style and size of battery that is on the car.

I had wanted to put an Optima in my Aura. I can easily fab up new cables, but I needed a new battery the night before a trip to Disneyland and had no time.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
dierk017
dierk017 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
If you want a bigger, more powerfull battery, you will need to fabricate some new battery cables. The current cables are designed to the style and size of battery that is on the car.
Never though about new cable mounts. Thanks for the heads up. Its nice to have a battery that can start my car even when its -20 although not a huge deal when I use my heated battery blanket if it still works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dierk017's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dierk017 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dierk017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Batteries come in many different physical sizes & post configurations. I would imagine you could go to the manufacturer's web sites & enter your car info & see if they make one to fit with higher CCA. Otherwise, you'll have some modding to do.

I don't know if you'll get anything from this or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tld-YKSU1Q

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

So just for specifics you are currently running a Group 75 AC Delco? CCA around 600? (Aura min. requirement is at least 575CCA right? What did the store/catalog say was "recommended"?)

Many of the Group 75 replacements I've seen are averaging around 690CCA. AC Delco offers a 7 year 735CCA Battery... I'm surprised you haven't found other brands (hopefully reliable) say in the 900 or 1000CCA range offered anywhere.

Here in WI I've get the occasional -17F which while my ION doesn't like it it's always started. (At around 700CCA It takes a little longer cranking. Seems a little sketchy at moments. But, it's been good. Assuming I didn't have other issues, like the Ignition Switch not recognizing my key, a known issue with the ION.)

Besides a fresh battery. Don't be afraid to prepare for Winter in other ways... Like checking the manual about recommended Synthetic Oil weights. (For my ION for temps under -19F Saturn recommends Synthetic 5W30 or 0W30. I've done both year round with good results.)

Regardless if you go Synthetic or not. Keep your oil fresh (or avoid a long change interval over the Winter). What was once a 5W30 from the bottle can become say a 10W30 or worse after an extended interval. (Some oils are worse at this then others... so be careful.) Which means your vehicle has to work harder not only during a cold morning start but even when it's warmed up and has to operate in Winter Weather. Wasting Fuel and extra wear and tear on the engine.

Try and keep it warmer during the winter (Garage) or use a Block Heater to help pre-warm the Oil/Engine. Makes things easier for the car and can get it to full operating temp faster.

If you don't own one already a Battery Charger might be useful. I make a point of "Topping Off" my Batteries every few months year round. If they need it or not. (I get to inspect the battery for damage or dirty contacts)

I own both "dumb" and "Smart" Chargers. This allows me the ability to test how good/bad the Battery and Charging System is. On the rare occasion the Smart Charger refuses to "Top Off" or perform a test. A few minutes on the traditional "dumb" Charger gives the battery enough life for the Smart Charger to take over. (I tend to get "false" reports from my Smart Charger so I usually try an average of 3 tests to confirm a result.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

1) go to local parts house
2) buy the battery they say fits
3) enjoy

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Diehard Gold is a great battery.

I wanted the spiral cell battery so I got a Optima Redtop. So far its been good for 2 or 3 years. With 700-800watt rms stereo and 2 farads its fired up every day and Alternator is surprisingly still working great.

Only issue was it took a little more to start after sitting a week at the body shop waiting for repair. But that's more so because of the capacitors draining the battery.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

I have the highest output OPTIMA that they make in my cars ... and didn't have to change a fool thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
the85darkknight
the85darkknight is on a distinguished road

I just put an Optima Yellowtop (D34) in to replace my Autocraft Silver. My amplifier and other accessories made my battery and alternator work so hard that the battery was finally giving out. This Optima does fit, and the cables from the factory do fit as well. The battery is reversed so that the cables may reach. The only issue is routing the cables so I can put the shroud on properly. Otherwise, no modification is required to have one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the85darkknight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the85darkknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote