SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
thefleeter
thefleeter is on a distinguished road

Default 1st gear pops out manual

i recently just got my second sc on the road its a 92 in great shape motor runs fine and the transmission started acting up the other day.

the car will pop out of 1st gear into neutral with a loud clunk. the car will start to move then all of the sudden it will pop out, and it does this randomly(sometimes it does some times it doesnt

is there a way to adjust the shifter cables somehow if not any ideas on what this could be.

thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thefleeter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thefleeter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thefleeter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: 1st gear pops out manual

If the shifter is not running to the end of its travel (forward and reverse movement-wise), then the transmission should be fully selecting gears. Check to see if the gear selection lever is moving fully to the end of its travel. If unsure, disconnect cable and move manually by hand (other lever must also be moved to select the 1-2 selector). If gear pops out even when fully selected, you may have a broken 1st gear synchro spring. The synchro springs provide all of the gear selection detent in this transmission.

Also check to be sure that transmission is well bolted to engine (though don't over-torque bolts). If it is moving significantly, this could pull it out of gear. ...And be sure that engine assembly isn't moving excessively, as would be caused by failed motor mounts and/or torque struts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
thefleeter

is it hard to change the synchro spings or am i gunna be stuck having to change the whole transmission? i checked it today and it still popped out and it seems to be all the way in. the thing thats bugging me is that it will go without popping out all the way to work 30 min drive but then on the way home it does it 10 times any other ideas before i have to drop the transmission
thanks for your help so far

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thefleeter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Take a look down on the top of the trans at the cable sheaths. They are held into the transmission by clips. The tab on top of the clip must point to the left. Then take a can of brake cleaner and clean all of the grit and goo off of the 2 selector levers. Do not oil either.

This is a drawing of what you are looking for.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=49087

If the problem is fixable it will be either these large clips or the bushing under the center console. You take up the console to check the shifter bushing.
This is how to take up the console. http://www.saturnseries.net/DIY%20Gu...0-%2095-99.htm

If it is the bushing it will be the shift cable on the right side that moves when you move the lever back and forth. Shift bushing is also a high probability.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

If it does happen to turn out to be a synchro spring, you do not need to change the entire transmission, but replacement will be a bit of work. Disassembly is not that difficult, but many of the gears are pressed onto the shafts, and must be removed and replaced carefully so-as to not chip the teeth. The 1st gear synchro assembly is one of the ones that's pressed into place. I used various punches, pipes, and levers, and a hammer to VERY CAREFULLY drive the gears off and then back on, without chipping teeth. Proper pullers and presses are ideal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I would explore the cable issue before messing with the synchro. I have had a similar issue occasionally. I can usually feel that the shifter didn't go into1st right. Just feels a little off. It may drive for a moment, then, POP. Not that I can tell you how to fix it, though. I would look at the shift linkages first.

1999 SL2 MANUAL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Take a look down on the top of the trans at the cable sheaths. They are held into the transmission by clips. The tab on top of the clip must point to the left.
snip
So the folded side of the clip must be on the left side? Like my top cable ? (oops, the bottom one is wrong!) (pardon my blurred focus)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shift cable end.jpg (80.6 KB, 17 views)

1999 SL2 MANUAL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
thefleeter

thanks guys for all the help ill get to looking at it this weekend i hope. i tried to take the easy way out today and took it to a transmission shop and told them what it does and told them to figure out what the problem is. then i called them back this afternoon and the morons said yes it does pop out of gear. and the tranny probably needs to be replaced. sounds to me like their to lazy to look. oh well ill save some money and figure it out myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

If you can, have a friend move the shifter and observe how the levers on the transmission move.

Have your friend push the shifter to the left, where 1 and 2 are selected. Observe which lever moves on the transmission, and which direction it moves.

Have your friend then select 1st gear (push the shifter forward after pushing it to the left). Observe which lever moved and in which direction.

With the car in 1st gear, disconnect the shift cables from the transmission levers.

First be sure that the lever that was moved when the shifter was moved to the left is as far in the direction that it traveled as possible.

Then repeat for the lever that moved when 1st gear was selected (shifter pushed forward).

Now, with the cables disconnected and the transmission surely in gear, push the clutch in and start the motor. Try driving in 1st gear. Take off gently first and then try giving it some power. If it pops out of gear now, you likely have a weak synchro spring or some other fault within the transmission. If it does not pop out of gear, then you likely have shift cable issues (worn shifter link bushings, worn cable sleeves, etc.). Also, if you were able to move the transmission levers further after the cables were disconnected, it is likely that the shifter and/or cables have issues/misadjustment, and are not pushing the levers far enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!