SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jim7489
Junior Member
jim7489 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default Tach going up and down

My 07 vue V6 just started sounding like I have an exhaust leak. At the same time at low speeds the tach goes up and down and it seems to shift funny. at high speeds it runs fine except for the exhaust noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jim7489's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jim7489 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth
Posts: 864

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tach going up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7489 View Post
My 07 vue V6 just started sounding like I have an exhaust leak. At the same time at low speeds the tach goes up and down and it seems to shift funny. at high speeds it runs fine except for the exhaust noise.
How many miles?

I had oscillations of around 50-100rpm (a blip about once every 3-4 seconds) when holding the accelerator steady in the 20-40 range... a transmission fluid change (or 4.5 qt displacement) cured this. (be sure to use a Honda Z1 approved fluid) Dealer could not find this problem & denied it existed.

You may be developing Torque Converter issues or the PCM may need a reprogram under the recall.

I recently had my exhaust fixed, was a gasket (possibly manifold) & not a pipe, but became very loud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
RedGeminiPA
Senior Member
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough
 
RedGeminiPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,436
 

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tach going up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
How many miles?

I had oscillations of around 50-100rpm (a blip about once every 3-4 seconds) when holding the accelerator steady in the 20-40 range... a transmission fluid change (or 4.5 qt displacement) cured this. (be sure to use a Honda Z1 approved fluid) Dealer could not find this problem & denied it existed.

You may be developing Torque Converter issues or the PCM may need a reprogram under the recall.

I recently had my exhaust fixed, was a gasket (possibly manifold) & not a pipe, but became very loud.
My '04 3.5L that I just purchased with 179k on it has/had this problem. I read several threads over the net about the torque converter issues. I found out about a little bottle of "magic" that seems to have solved the problem. I'm going to have to find out exactly what that stuff is. I had a garage suck out some fluid and put this stuff in. It seems to be about 99% better.

I was planning to have it flushed and add a bottle of Lucas, but the transmission shop I talked to wasn't sure if it has a serviceable filter, and advised against it if that's the case. So, until I find out about the trans filter, I'm not going the flush route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth
Posts: 864

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tach going up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
My '04 3.5L that I just purchased with 179k on it has/had this problem. I read several threads over the net about the torque converter issues. I found out about a little bottle of "magic" that seems to have solved the problem. I'm going to have to find out exactly what that stuff is. I had a garage suck out some fluid and put this stuff in. It seems to be about 99% better.

I was planning to have it flushed and add a bottle of Lucas, but the transmission shop I talked to wasn't sure if it has a serviceable filter, and advised against it if that's the case. So, until I find out about the trans filter, I'm not going the flush route.
No serviceable filter in the 3.5. Lucas should not void out any warranty or create issues if you should decide to use it.

A change of fluid stopped my oscillation issues, but did not stop the low end rough shifts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA
Senior Member
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough
 
RedGeminiPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,436
 

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tach going up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
No serviceable filter in the 3.5. Lucas should not void out any warranty or create issues if you should decide to use it.

A change of fluid stopped my oscillation issues, but did not stop the low end rough shifts.
Thanks for the info. The fluid is still fairly pinkish, and I know the dealer I bought it from didn't change it. They don't even change oil, lol. Would you advise against the flush with such high miles? I've had a few vehicles flushed before, but never with such high miles. Would it be better to just do the drain and fill a few times as mentioned in a couple of threads?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough
 
XRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 2,835

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Tach going up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Thanks for the info. The fluid is still fairly pinkish, and I know the dealer I bought it from didn't change it. They don't even change oil, lol. Would you advise against the flush with such high miles? I've had a few vehicles flushed before, but never with such high miles. Would it be better to just do the drain and fill a few times as mentioned in a couple of threads?
Definitely drain and fill on the Honda transmission.

When I did my drain & fill on my Vue, it made the 1-2 shift much smoother. If you're getting tach oscillations, that's a sign your fluid has been bad for a while, and you're damaging your TC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
jfisher99
Junior Member
jfisher99 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 21

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tach going up and down

I bought an 04 Vue a few weeks ago and had this exact same problem. At low speeds and in a numerically high gear, it was like the trans could not find the proper gear to be in. It would go in and out of two different gears constantly. Luckily I was able to get an extended warranty thrown in and it's currently at the Chevy dealership I bought it from getting the torque converter replaced.

The dealership also tried denying any issue at first, but once I told them it only happened once the car was fully warmed up, they quickly were able to duplicate the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jfisher99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jfisher99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jfisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@#($!%&@)#(&$% tach wtf1995 S-Series Tech 3 12-15-2010 07:48 PM
need help with my tach col3man S-Series Tech 4 07-31-2009 06:52 PM
Tach Orthus S-Series General 4 03-23-2006 07:38 AM
tach rpm at 75 mph saturnPr!de General Saturn Discussion 17 12-04-2002 07:19 PM
tach anti honda Miscellaneous Tech 2 11-30-2002 02:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.