SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
slaughlin
slaughlin is on a distinguished road

Default 96 Saturn high idle in neutral

I have a 96 manual Saturn SL and recently when I put it in neutral the rpm's go up to 2000-2100, when the vehicle comes to a halt the rpm's drop down to 900ish. When I start the car the rpm's go up to 2000 also. I've cleaned out the throttle body but no change. Any suggestions? Vacuum leak? VSS? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slaughlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slaughlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 96 Saturn high idle in neutral

You might get a better response if you post in the proper forum for your model. But, I had a similar problem with my '04 ion. It turned out to be a faulty TPS and didn't throwing a MIL code. I suggest checking the continuity of your TPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
keelerpd
keelerpd is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem in my 99 Saturn DOHC and I first changed out the TPS with no difference. I cleaned the throttle body and this actually made the problem worse. I would suggest you chance the Idle Air Control valve. It easily gets all gunked up (very technical term) especially when you clean the throttle body as all the crap out of the TB gets into it. It made a night and day difference on my car. Before I was unable to keep the thing running and it would "idle" at about 2500 rpm. Now it is at 850-900 all day long.

2004 ION 3 - LE - 114K miles
1999 SL2 - Owned since new, 272K miles (ALAS Sold)
1964 Chevelle - restoring
1965 Chevelle 2 dr post - driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keelerpd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keelerpd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keelerpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-If you haven't done so, replace the faulty round nosed plastic coolant sensor with a flat nosed brass one. The faulty one causes rich running conditions.

2-Replace the old thermostat too if the temperature gauge hovers over the 1/4 mark. You'll have better heat too this winter. This in conjunction with the faulty coolant sensor causes higher idling.

3-Once the above are taken care of, a worn tps is easily tested. The next time the idle remains high, park and shut off the engine for a restart; without touching the gas pedal, if the idle returns to normal then its a worn out tps. Replace it.

Perform step 1 and 2 before step 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
slaughlin
slaughlin is on a distinguished road

Changed out the ECS and the rpm's are back to a more respectable level. Interesting enough after the first test run I recieved a P0500 code (VSS). Erased the code and it never came back.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slaughlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slaughlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
saturn/chev
saturn/chev is on a distinguished road

I had the same prob but now my engine check stays on and my coolant level
came on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn/chev's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn/chev reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn/chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
fm2200
fm2200 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Happy Re: 96 Saturn high idle in neutral

What is the ECS??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fm2200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fm2200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fm2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ECS or more commonly known as ects - engine coolant sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
longjing
longjing is on a distinguished road

The next time the idle remains high, park and shut off the engine for a restart; without touching the gas pedal, if the idle returns to normal then its a worn out tps. Replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to longjing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help longjing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
longjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
BrendanD
BrendanD is on a distinguished road

I have a '01 Saturn SL1 and it was doing the same thing. Ended up being the Idle Air Control Valve. Shop replaced it and it was still idling high when I got it home. I disconnected the battery for a minute and then re-connected, started it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Works great now. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrendanD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrendanD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrendanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
bigmoe99
bigmoe99 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1994 SL1

it is your ecs, I had the same problem with my 94 sl1 its easy to change, good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigmoe99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigmoe99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigmoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote