SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:40 AM   #1
jinjimbob
jinjimbob is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Wiring for Advanced Audio system in Vue, replace HU ?'s

I want to replace the cd/cass that came in my Vue, looking at options.

It came with the advanced audio system, doesn't sound at all that bad. But I want a direct wired Sirius system with steering wheel remote unit, no FM modulator.

What is the wiring like?
Can I keep the amp installed?
How do I wire to the amp?
Is the amp only used for the 8" sub woofer?
Is the cd/cass unit now connected to amp via preouts that I can just copy with a new unit?
Would I be better not using the amp?

Are the speakers included better than the standard ones?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jinjimbob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jinjimbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

check out www.crutchfield.com they can help with installation issues.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
cmswq3
cmswq3 is on a distinguished road

I would just pull it apart and take a look at it, or check out some local audio shops and see if they have worked on any and know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmswq3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmswq3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
jinjimbob

2003 VUE 3.0L

I've spoke with Crutchfield, they haven't got any info on 2003 Vues or IONs yet.

I don't want to 'pull' at the wrong part and snap anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jinjimbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:01 AM   #5
cmswq3

most of the stuff wont snap unless you are really tugging, its mostly synthetic plastic, not peanut brittle. To be totally honest I have seen very few factory sound systems worth keeping if you are a big audiophile. I normally replace everything just to have my own custom sound. So I say replace CD player with new indash that has option for satelite radio, new speakers all the way around, new amp for new speakers, and 8 or 10 inch sub on a mono amp. This would be my base upgrade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cmswq3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
jinjimbob

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks cmswq3, I'm going to take a look at what wiring is there this weekend. I think there might only be only one amp installed right now. It doesn't sound bad, but not as good as a $200 cheapo new stereo system, not sure they put junk inside new cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2003, 03:41 AM   #7
jinjimbob

2003 VUE 3.0L

Found the amp under the rear passenger seat. I think it feeds all the speakers and the sub. It has no RCA sockets, two GM plastic plugs with about 12 wires in each.

Looks like I'll have to trace the wire to each speaker now.

I'm guessing the output from the cd/cass isn't not simple either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #8
cmswq3

Tracing wires back to their source bites. In the case of speakers I would disconnect the wires from the back of the speaker and then disconnect the plugs from the amplifier and then just use a small battery connected to the speaker end and then use a wire tester on the plug until you get a light.

This does work I know because I ran speaker wire in my first car and forgot to mark the ends at the dash. So I ended up connecting a 9v battery to the speaker ends one at a time until I had 3 labeled, the 4th line was pretty easy to figure out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2003, 10:50 PM   #9
jinjimbob

2003 VUE 3.0L

I used Madbeatz's little guide on how to remove the dash, very helpful, thanks!

I have taken some photos of the wiring, I also have all the wire colours and pin numbers on both the head unit and amplifer sockets.

This link has BIG pictures:
LARGE LINK

This link has small picture:
small link

If you look at this picture: connector picture. , this looks like a regular head unit connector, doesn't it? Its the one with the grey plug and bright blue finger snap, with black tape around all the wires.

I didn't have the right tool to remove the rear seat torxy looking bolt, so I couldn't take the amp out.

Do you think the wires go from this amp to the speakers, or just to the subwoofer?

Here is list of wire colours and part numbers.

TXT DOC

Last edited by jinjimbob; 03-23-2003 at 10:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2003, 12:07 PM   #10
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by jinjimbob

I have taken some photos of the wiring, I also have all the wire colours and pin numbers on both the head unit and amplifer sockets.

LARGE LINK

small link

If you look at this picture: connector picture. , this looks like a regular head unit connector, doesn't it? Its the one with the grey plug and bright blue finger snap, with black tape around all the wires.

I didn't have the right tool to remove the rear seat torxy looking bolt, so I couldn't take the amp out.

Do you think the wires go from this amp to the speakers, or just to the subwoofer?

TXT DOC
Very interesting and informative.

So let me get this straight, the CD/Cassette with AAS only uses the 24 pin connector on the back? The 12 pin connector next to it is unfilled?

Based on what you have shown, I would think that any of the 6 speaker systems (CD or CD/Cassette) wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. I would also guess that the AAS amp sits inbetween the headunit and all the speakers so the speaker leads of the 24 pin connector no longer goes to the speakers but to the amp. The second connector (6 pins used) might then go to
some of the speakers not included with the non-AAS system. Or maybe the secondary connector is for speakers that might be common to AAS and non-AAS systems? Or maybe the secondary connector is specific for the subwoofer?

Now what would that 12 pin connector on the back of the CD/Cassette be used for?

When I get that CD/Cassette unit (via eBay) I'll pull the single CD unit out and see how it is similar or different. If I can, I'll shoot some photos and distribute them.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #11
summbear48
summbear48 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Wiring for Advanced Audio system in Vue, replace HU ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjimbob
I used Madbeatz's little guide on how to remove the dash, very helpful, thanks!

LARGE LINK

small link

TXT DOC

none of the links work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summbear48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summbear48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by summbear48
none of the links work?
Ditto.

How many wires run inside of aRCA connector? Just one correct? if that is so could you not just determine which wires are speaker wires and just splice in an RCA to each those two wires then hook an amp up directly with the RCA's in. Some amps also have a cable feed into them. It's possible I have done it before.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #13
tonyinma
tonyinma is on a distinguished road

Tonyinma wrote:

I'm installing a Pioneer AV1C-D1 into a 2006 VUE. adaptors for car harness are available @ www.install.com and a few other online sites carry harness adaptors for the Vue .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tonyinma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tonyinma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread