SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Transmission Cooler

I'm looking at installing a transmission cooler on my 3.5L Vue, would something like this be overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-4120.../dp/B00029J3WK

Does our transmission have a thermostat?

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Transmission Cooler

Looks very similar to the Perma-Cool I instaltled 5 years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
I'm looking at installing a transmission cooler on my 3.5L Vue, would something like this be overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-4120.../dp/B00029J3WK

Does our transmission have a thermostat?
IMO - following thread is one of better ATF cooler discussions - the cooler appears to be a perfect fit and I've always thought the external filter information is most informative:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150013

I've searched the 5AT diagrams for a thermostat (oil cooler bypass) - without finding evidence of one. I monitor ATF temp with ScanGaugeII and notice ATF generally warms along with engine coolant ... almost like it was designed to do so.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
...........I monitor ATF temp with ScanGaugeII and notice ATF generally warms along with engine coolant ... almost like it was designed to do so.
Are u running an auxiliary cooler in addition too and after the factory cooler?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Are u running an auxiliary cooler in addition too and after the factory cooler?
No, I don't have an aux cooler. I depend on the SCII to keep track of ATF temp when towing either a small boat or utility trailer (<1500 lbs).

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
pyroom
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

So I did the Scangauge thing, and I have not seen the temperature go past 120. I think I'll wait until summer to install a tranny cooler, since the heat is not nearly as bad as I thought. I was hoping this might help to prolong the torque converter issue.

How to do it in case anyone is interested: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156068

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
So I did the Scangauge thing, and I have not seen the temperature go past 120. I think I'll wait until summer to install a tranny cooler, since the heat is not nearly as bad as I thought. I was hoping this might help to prolong the torque converter issue.

How to do it in case anyone is interested: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156068
I expected some really big ATF temps but they just don't happen. I seem to recall reaching 205 F once while stuck in stop-and-go at Omaha. Outside air temp was near 100 and coolant temp was up to 210.

Once I had some speed - ATF dropped back to coolant thermostat country (180 F) and actually dropped to 160ish for rest of trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
pyroom
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

just came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-Qh...layer_embedded

7 years later, they still haven't fixed it?

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Any idea where that temp sendor for the ATF is that the ScanGauge is picking up? If it's on the inlet- 205 probably isn't good. If it's in the sump- 205 isn't that great. If it's at the outlet- it's probably still a little high.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
pyroom
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Any idea where that temp sendor for the ATF is that the ScanGauge is picking up? If it's on the inlet- 205 probably isn't good. If it's in the sump- 205 isn't that great. If it's at the outlet- it's probably still a little high.
It's in the sump

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Well, if you guys have ever been curious as to why the Honda ATX fluid only lasts 25,000 miles, here's a chart that seems to jive with what F2G posted above:

After loosing an ATX transmission due to overheating and spending way more money than I should have to "fix" it, I've installed aux coolers on every ATX equipped car since then- my Explorer has 2.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote