SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
newidforu
newidforu is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Transmission

Hi

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue with the 4 cylinder AWD. A few months ago the car would not move when put in drive. It had no problems moving in reverse. We took it to a shop and they made us replace the valve body. It worked fine until yesterday when the same problem showed up again. The car will start fine and the engine will rev but will not move in drive. We had to have it towed home. I tried starting it again this morning and to my surprise, it again drives. It almost seems like it needs to completely cool down overnight and then drives again. Do you have any idea of what could be the problem? I would hate to replace the transmission if the problem lies in some other cheaper fix.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newidforu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newidforu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newidforu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Transmission

Sounds like your transmission is about to completely fail. Search the forums for "CVT" or "VTi". Lots of problems with these transmissions in the VUE. The bad news is that it's roughly a $4000-$5000 fix and your VUE isn't worth that much anymore. And that's to fix it with another transmission like this that will also have problems at some point down the road.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that the VTI transmission has a valvebody. But I guess my automatic transmission experience is fairly limited and is exclusive to normal geared transmissions.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
newidforu

Sad Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Sounds like your transmission is about to completely fail. Search the forums for "CVT" or "VTi". Lots of problems with these transmissions in the VUE. The bad news is that it's roughly a $4000-$5000 fix and your VUE isn't worth that much anymore. And that's to fix it with another transmission like this that will also have problems at some point down the road.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that the VTI transmission has a valvebody. But I guess my automatic transmission experience is fairly limited and is exclusive to normal geared transmissions.
That was what I was scared of. Is there anything else I can try before I decide to junk my car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help newidforu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

I know that, at one time, GM was offering $5K towards a new GM vehicle if you traded in a VTi Vue. You may want to check and see if that offer is still valid. I went through the same pain as you regarding having a VTi Vue. Take a look at my photo gallery and you can see my 04 VTi Vue, which I miss very much, and my 06 V6 FWD Vue, which has been pretty much trouble free. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by newidforu View Post
That was what I was scared of. Is there anything else I can try before I decide to junk my car?
Everyone on the forum is quick to diagnose a failed VTI when sometimes it's not. There was someone recently who came in with issues that everyone thought was transmission related but it turned out to be a plugged cat. His symptoms were a little different than yours if I remember right.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
newidforu

Quote:
Everyone on the forum is quick to diagnose a failed VTI when sometimes it's not. There was someone recently who came in with issues that everyone thought was transmission related but it turned out to be a plugged cat. His symptoms were a little different than yours if I remember right.
I am having someone look at it this evening for a more thorough diagnosis. However most shops are quick to diagnose a failed transmission when they hear of the symptoms and are not interested in exploring other possibilities. As of now, the car is still running fine after I started it this morning. Its almost like yesterday was a dream.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
May
May is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same problem except if you put it in Low it will accelerate. The GM dealer diagnostic said it was the TCM-transmission control; repair of $1300; actually the part is $340; I had a mechanic I know do it (takes 5 minutes), part has to be properly programmed to your car. All of this was done; now it drives in Drive (imagine!) so I don't have to shift constantly to get into 2nd and 3rd (yes its automatic!) however it is still slamming into 2nd. I have well over 100K. Is this probably the whole transmission?
Last month a mechanic charged me $700 to replace 2 sillinoids and it had NO effect. Is the car dead?!
Thanks for any help and to original poster: be careful of expensive repairs that will not fix the problem. I was refunded $200 but still am out $500 for NOTHING.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to May's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help May reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
May
May is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a new TCM and now can use Drive but still slamming into 2nd (its automatic). Could it be a need for all new sillinoids? (2 were replaced last month, didn't fix problem). New TCM now it accelerates in Drive. For now. I'm at a loss !!!
Thanks for your help and info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to May's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help May reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
May is offline   Reply With Quote