SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
cschmidt
cschmidt will become famous soon enoughcschmidt will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
Default Re: cracked tires safe or dangerous?

Just had some recent experience with this, with Michelin. I have a Ford E-150 conversion van that we use to pull boats and a horse trailer. I put Michelin LTX tires on it - good mid priced and high mileage tires. The inspection station ( also a tire store so go figure) failed it for cracks in the sidewall this year. A buddy happened to send me a link to an RV forum for another reason, but there was a huge discussion going on there about Michelin tires. One guy posted a customer service #, so I called.

Here is the scoop with Michelin, and hope it works out for you with Goodyear. Michelin warranties their tires for 6 years for workmanship. Mine were 5 years old, with 37K miles on them, but still 2/3 of the tread. I called the Michelin #, told them the NC inspection failed due to cracked sidewalls. They were very nice, and said get the tires to a Michelin dealer and have the dealer call back to the Michelin #. End of the story, Michelin prorated the tires by wear, and gave me 2/3 of the cost of a new set of LTX tires.

Check your Goodyear warranty and see how long their tires are warrantied and see if they have a customer service #. Good luck.

As a side point, my same buddy has Michelin Hydroedge tires on his Focus (80K rated tires). They are 4 years old and only 1/3 worn, but are cracking. Seems like the recent high mileage Michelin tires are having issues. May be other brands too.

Chuck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Back when Michelin decided to enter the larger vehicle market they had problems with side wall cracking. They did not have this issue with the what was then the standard tire sizes used in Europe. The root cause is under inflation for the load on the tire. The characteristic of a radial tire is a soft flexible side wall and if under inflated there is excessive flexing and localized heating that causes the cracking. This is not an uncommon phenomena on heavier vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Back when Michelin decided to enter the larger vehicle market they had problems with side wall cracking. They did not have this issue with the what was then the standard tire sizes used in Europe. The root cause is under inflation for the load on the tire. The characteristic of a radial tire is a soft flexible side wall and if under inflated there is excessive flexing and localized heating that causes the cracking. This is not an uncommon phenomena on heavier vehicles.
Under inflation not the cause for me - I usually have them set to 35 PSI.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 07/14/14: 194,301 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 07/14/14: 10,364 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
cschmidt
cschmidt will become famous soon enoughcschmidt will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

That could be one cause, but don't think so in my case. I run the tires at 34-38 psi due to trailering and heavy loads. The cracks were all over the sidewalls on all 4 tires. I should have taken a picture before getting rid of them.

My buddy with the Focus has Dodge p/u with the LTX tires from 9 years ago. Those LTX tires are fine, but his more recent Hydroedge tires are not ( and all have proper inflation). We think something has changed in recent years in the compound or mfg process. It would be interesting to see if a definitive cause is found.

Chuck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

They do change compounds and cord structure. Sidewall cracking is a feature of radial tires though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Dazed Re: cracked tires safe or dangerous?

Mine was checkered from the day bought the Blazer, so I have no idea what previous owners did with them. But I always inflated them properly.

I have had a love/hate relationship with Michelin over the years. I bought my first set for a VW Beetle (a 1965 version). They were fabulous.

My wife's current truck has Michelin X's on it (car tires, not light truck tires). They are smooth as glass and have held up extremely well.

My beemer has Michelin Pilot Exaltos on it and they are also smooth and are excellent.

When the despised Viva-2 tires on my SC2 bit the dust I'll probably get Michelin X's for it too.

BUT- I had the catastrophic failure on the Blazer that put me off of them for many years.

As OldNuc and cschmidt pointed out, the LT(X) versions are perhaps not such a good idea to have. I can add one vote to that for sure.

I put Firestones on the Blazer after that, BTW, and was quite happy with them. Got a really good deal on them because at the time all the people who didn't inflate theirs properly had given them a bad name.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, "The Firestone Disaster" is a prime example of why I do not subscribe to the --door sticker-- approach to tire inflation. The Michelin tire seems to have the best lifetime when the cross section is basically circular as opposed to elliptical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

RVers are often tire experts because theirs cost a fortune and often dry rot before they tread out. They all swear by 303 Aerospace (not cheap) and also claim that tire dressing products like Armor All intended to make the tire shiny actually make cracking WORSE, not protect the tire. The best way to avoid sidewall cracking is to keep them inflated and USE the tire as the flexing distrubutes conditioners built into the chemical matrix of the tire that tend to oxidize off on the surface. If you park the car for a while, cover the tires to keep the sun off them. If driven weekly, it doesn't matter.

In short, air 'em up, park in the shade and keep 'em rolling.

I've yet to lose a tire to cracking before I wear the tread off. Got 100k on my OEM Firestones on my first SL, have 50k on my current generic chinese tires on the 02 and have managed 95k even on the family minivan before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They make tire covers and if you have a vehicle that sits a lot they are a good buy to shield from the UV.

I mentioned 303 back at the beginning of this thread. It does work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
RVers are often tire experts because theirs cost a fortune and often dry rot before they tread out. They all swear by 303 Aerospace (not cheap) and also claim that tire dressing products like Armor All intended to make the tire shiny actually make cracking WORSE, not protect the tire. The best way to avoid sidewall cracking is to keep them inflated and USE the tire as the flexing distrubutes conditioners built into the chemical matrix of the tire that tend to oxidize off on the surface. If you park the car for a while, cover the tires to keep the sun off them. If driven weekly, it doesn't matter.

In short, air 'em up, park in the shade and keep 'em rolling.

I've yet to lose a tire to cracking before I wear the tread off. Got 100k on my OEM Firestones on my first SL, have 50k on my current generic chinese tires on the 02 and have managed 95k even on the family minivan before.
i pretty much follow what you said as far as tire care goes. tiere's sidewall tire dressing that i would'nt use because it contains petroleum. i only use armor all protectant the same stuff i use on the dashboard. it's harmless & is water based.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #31
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
They make tire covers and if you have a vehicle that sits a lot they are a good buy to shield from the UV.

I mentioned 303 back at the beginning of this thread. It does work.
i used that once it seems just like armor all to me. i don't want you to missunderstand what i use on the tires. i use armor all protectant the same as i use on the interior. there is petroleum based tire sidewall dressings made by armor all & other copmpanies & i never use them. i think those will crack the tires. armor all protectant is water based.

if there's adifference between 303 & armor all what is it? what's in 303?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #32
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Liquid magic.

I got a C in chemistry. I make water flow downhill for a living. Good stuff, three simple atoms!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #33
OldNuc

1998 SC2

ArmorALL contains silicone and 303 does not. Silicone on tires is not good for the tire rubber compound, makes it prone to cracking. The 303 is the stuff to use on tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
ArmorALL contains silicone and 303 does not. Silicone on tires is not good for the tire rubber compound, makes it prone to cracking. The 303 is the stuff to use on tires.
i used armor all for many years without any problems. i use it on the tire sidewalls only, but the tires are cracking between the treads, not sidewalls...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #35
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

to tell ya the truth i don't think there's anything you could put on tires that will totally protect them. they are out in the weather & they crack with age. bottom line. it's easy to protect a dashboard it isn't in the weather. the tires are out in the hot & cold. i'm sure the salt on the roads in the winter & freezing cold takes it's toll on them as well. maybe if you soaked them in protectant it might help a little, but that's unrealistic if not impossible, besides anything you would put on tires would quickly wash off especially in the rain.

tires are like anything mechanical on a car. your bushings in the sway bars, ect. also dryrot requiring replacement eventually.

armor all i used for years on all my plastic interior parts & rubber door seals & it seemed to keep them in good condition, sure this 303 which is 3 times more expensive might be a little better, but i stick to what i can afford. i did a search on these 2 protectants & it's a pissing contest like asking what oil brands are the best or which headlight bulbs are the brightest. you know another beating a dead horse thing...

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 10-27-2011 at 05:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
texas3000gt
texas3000gt is on a distinguished road

I believe those cracked tires are dangerous, you never know at high speeds it might just pop on you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texas3000gt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texas3000gt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texas3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

ya i'm still riding on these cracked tires. i guess i might just change them in the spring. the cracks are pretty much the same as before. it's a shame that all those good threads will go to waste. i paid too much for these tires to not try to get my money'w worth out of them but i won't really. it doesn't pay to really get the best expensive tires really as the rubber only lasts for so long regardless about the treads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #38
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

an update to this: i really never paid attention to the tire manufactured date on the side of the tire. i just learned how to read them, 1995! my tires are 7 years old. i also just noticed the sidewalls slightly cracking & i heard that's more dangerous than the cracking between the treads. time to get new tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

has anybody tried these tires: http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...article=117632 @ $75.00 ea. they sound like a decent tire at a good price. after paying around $120.00 for the goodyear triple treads which cracked like my original tires. it seems like a waste to pay high tire prices seeing that the rubber still only lasts for so long...

i read that driving a car is better for the tires because it disperses the rubber prolonging chemicals in the tires unlike a sitting car which will lead to tire cracking. i drive my car farther to work every day unlike before when i only drove a few miles each way now i drive approx 15 miles each way. the tires cracking prematurly probably is my fault for the short trips.......
my first 2 sets of tires did the same thing when driving to my old job a few miles away..

not to mention my first battery crapping out an at an early age versus my current battery going on 7 years of age...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
an update to this: i really never paid attention to the tire manufactured date on the side of the tire. i just learned how to read them, 1995! my tires are 7 years old. i also just noticed the sidewalls slightly cracking & i heard that's more dangerous than the cracking between the treads. time to get new tires.
Surely you meant 2005 - that would make them 7 years old and not much to complain about. 1995 and you would have had a bargain.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 07/14/14: 194,301 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 07/14/14: 10,364 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote