SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
soupedupsaturn
soupedupsaturn is on a distinguished road

Default turbo kit 1995 saturn sl1

I wanted to start this in case anybody else with the same car wanted to do this now they know how i have found this turbo cheapest one i can find ummm i dont konw what size piping or whatever i may need or which ones if anybody can find a kit with all this please send it all the stuff i need i know what i do but if everybody can find these things

intercooler
blow off valve
i already have a new intake system short ram
injectors?
i have new spark plugs
additional fuel pump
it says new engine managment computer? dont know about that
new exhaust system all i really need is a new header for it
turbo manifold
mine already comes with a wastegate
downpipe
fuel pressure regulator
fuel pump
modified or separate oil pan for turbo

did i miss anything or is there anything unneccesary that i listed please help find these things and aid me with this build

and please no bs comments this is the turbo

godspeed t3t4 .48 ar turbo charger on ebay for 180

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soupedupsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soupedupsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soupedupsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: turbo kit 1995 saturn sl1

I'm gonna tell you what everyone else will say in about 2 hours.. Dump the SOHC and go to a DOHC to start with,get the MP3 or MP7 trans. Look up whats called a Deebs build, The reason i say dump the sohc is even when you turbo it, Your gonna be making what the DOHC makes stock. The SL1's were also mainly econobags. meant for gas mileage

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

There's only one real "kit", and it's good but pricey. Most people end up piecing together their own kit. And yes, dump the SOHC. If you don't have the funds or know-how to do a DOHC swap, you're not ready for turbo.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

+1

you have no idea what youre doing.

1. USE COMPLETE SENTENCES AND PUNCTUATION. Its really annoying when people forget that we speak english you know english requires periods commas exclamation points what not and it just goes to prove to a greater extent that you have no clue.

2. A turbo saturn requires 4 things: Lots of time, lots of money, the turbo know how and another car to drive while the other car is being built.

3. Our best advice to you? Read up on what simkid said. Rebuilding a stock engine will be a great learning experience if you do it correctly. And once you see the work involved in building an engine, you'll calm down RIGHT away about all this turbo nonsense.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn is on a distinguished road

Don't remember where it was but I was reading about a guy who turboed his sw1, and he picked up about 4 horses. So your still not even close to what a DOHC runs stock. So for thousands of dollars you can put a turbo on it and still run slow, or you could sell it and upgrade to a DOHC. And the OP is also the guy who drilled holes in his muffler so I seriously doubt he knows how to put a turbo on his car

1999 SL2-AEM CAI, AMR Strut Brace, 92 Header M5 Daily Driver. 260,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

^^^^^ +1 all above, except DON'T sell/dump your car. You'll need it as a daily driver to maintain the turbo car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

you can now outrun your grandmothers toyota corolla with 105hp with a whhopping 16.9 quarter mile!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #8
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Go to bed

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
tommyt
tommyt is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

forgive my newbe question but can't you just stick a DOHC head on a SOHC block to make it DOHC, instead of an engine swap? Of course you need the DOHC computer and you would want the same year computer as what you currently have (I would guess to be safe). You would also need the timing chain cover, timing chain, valve cover, intake, and maybe fuel rail. All stuff that is easy to find in the junkyard.

I would think a cheap turbo setup would be from a mid 80's turbo dodge FWD shadow or daytona (plentiful in junkyards). You could probably weld the dodge exhaust manifold to a saturn exhaust header flange (found on 92 DOHC saturns) then bolt the dodge/saturn assembly (with turbo) to the head. Might need to move the radiator fan to the front of the radiator, though. You could probably get away with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and bigger injectors for fuel management under boost. Need to have a wideband O2 sensor, though. Get an intercooler from a turbo dodge or eclipse to save a few more bucks. Biggest problem is your compression ratio is too high on a Saturn. Need to add a big copper shim under the head or use different pistons. You want about 8:1. I will say that turbo-charging NA cars is not for the meek.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tommyt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tommyt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
forgive my newbe question but can't you just stick a DOHC head on a SOHC block to make it DOHC, instead of an engine swap? Of course you need the DOHC computer and you would want the same year computer as what you currently have (I would guess to be safe). You would also need the timing chain cover, timing chain, valve cover, intake, and maybe fuel rail. All stuff that is easy to find in the junkyard.

I would think a cheap turbo setup would be from a mid 80's turbo dodge FWD shadow or daytona (plentiful in junkyards). You could probably weld the dodge exhaust manifold to a saturn exhaust header flange (found on 92 DOHC saturns) then bolt the dodge/saturn assembly (with turbo) to the head. Might need to move the radiator fan to the front of the radiator, though. You could probably get away with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and bigger injectors for fuel management under boost. Need to have a wideband O2 sensor, though. Get an intercooler from a turbo dodge or eclipse to save a few more bucks. Biggest problem is your compression ratio is too high on a Saturn. Need to add a big copper shim under the head or use different pistons. You want about 8:1. I will say that turbo-charging NA cars is not for the meek.
Yes, you can do a head swap to turn a SOHC into a DOHC. By the time you're grabbing a head, timing chain cover, timing assembly, and all the other bits, you're about just as well to just grab the whole junkyard engine and just do the whole swap. Personally, if I were going to do a head swap, I'd still pull the engine, which isn't that difficult. So if the engine's coming out anyway, what's easier, a head swap, or an engine swap? Of course if you're wanting to dig into the engine & make everything "just so" while you're at it, the it's just a wash.

A number of people who have pieced together their own turbo kits have done many things like what you mention - finding parts that can be had abundantly and cheaply and modified to work. I think you underestimate the tuning needs for anything but a super mild turbo setup, though, and being lazy & cutting corners with the tuning is just giving up on picking the low-hanging hp gain fruit.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote