SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL
Default Re: 99 SL1 - replacing exhaust - flange holes incorrect

This is an interesting thread, and it's nice to see Eastern involved. Although I think it might be a bit late for a manufacturer to be building parts for these cars. (maybe not)
I recently went through an interesting series of purchases with Maganaflow on the cat/downpipe for my 98 SC1. Suffice to say I never really got the right part, and their customer service was lacking to say the least.
I'll be watching this for a decent resolution.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
dah97765
dah97765 will become famous soon enoughdah97765 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
This is an interesting thread, and it's nice to see Eastern involved. Although I think it might be a bit late for a manufacturer to be building parts for these cars. (maybe not)
I recently went through an interesting series of purchases with Maganaflow on the cat/downpipe for my 98 SC1. Suffice to say I never really got the right part, and their customer service was lacking to say the least.
I'll be watching this for a decent resolution.
I literally just got off of the phone with Adam and I'll be going there soon (tomorrow, probably) to work out the details. I'll keep the forum updated, but I am hopeful that it will work out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dah97765's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dah97765 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dah97765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Should be fine as he understands the problem. For the rest of the people reading this the designs changed every calendar year as the EPA rules changed in 99/2000 and 98/99. So, you can have a 2000 model that was built in 99 that has different emission control parts than the same 2000 model car built 1/1/2000 or later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #24
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Just to get this straight (in my mind)..

I can see Adam's explanation explaining why I see all the (ex. Ca.) disclaimers for cats.

Aside from that, in the case of the S series were there changes in the (99-00 range only) with several different orientations of the three bolts on the exhaust manifold? I've never really noticed the exact years of the cars that the "direct fit" doesn't work but is that it? If so, wouldn't it make sense to just design a slotted flange that would allow for the bolts in multiple orientations around the downpipe?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Yes, the 99 and 2000 model years are the ones that cause all the problems. Previous to that the "green" states required the CA emissions cert. About 15 minutes with the parts book and you can figure it out and pick out the different emissions certification RPO codes. Remember, model year and calendar year are not coincident so any mandated changes may have been implemented at the beginning of a calendar year instead of the beginning of the model year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
Eastern
Eastern is on a distinguished road

Well we just received our test fit vehicle from dah97765 and are in the process of building a fresh frame using the OE from his vehicle. We tried to fit several other units and had some that were close. Close isn't what we strive for so we will be doing a new unit for the 99- CA Emissions SOHC

O and BTW.... IT WAS FREE!!!!

P.S. On a side note, I need to clarify that my catalog does specify Eastern 50411 is a for federal emissions system only. His being a CA unit, well that's the reason he had a problem. No worries though, just always remember living outside of CA doesn't mean your vehicle isn't equipped with CA emissions. Keep your eyes out for the new unit to publicly hit the market in about 60 days or so.

And for gods sake use my catalog lol:

showmetheparts.com/easterncatalytic

Last edited by Eastern; 10-18-2011 at 03:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eastern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eastern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
dah97765

1999 SL

I'm pretty happy with the way things are working out. As Adam said, I do have a CA emissions label. OldNuc suggested looking at the emissions label a few days ago and it confirms that I have a CA emissions, which I was not expecting at all (esp being in PA), but as people here have said, that is a reasonable situation.

I only wish I had known to look there before I bought these parts Learn something new every day.

The eastern catalog does specify federal emissions -- I just naturally (and incorrectly) assumed that my car fell under that specification. Either way Eastern didnt have the part that fit my car, which is why they are making a new one. Plus, it's pretty cool to have a prototype made from my car.

Emissions Label:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dah97765 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Does your car have a precat? If so was that the reason why their part didn't fit?

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #29
dah97765

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
Does your car have a precat? If so was that the reason why their part didn't fit?
Honestly I dont know. I don't think so, but Adam has my car currently so maybe he can tell us or take a picture

Do all California Emissions on the 99 saturns have a pre-cat?

I don't recall seeing one, but I wasnt looking for it. This is my first time doing any exhaust work so I'm going to miss some things like this initially. I'm assuming that my pre-cat would look similar to the picture below, yeah? I seem to remember my manifold coming to a single point with the O2 sensor. Again, without looking at it here, I'm not sure.

The length wasn't my issue when I was fitting - it was the bolt configuration. (see post #5 for my picture showing the differing bolt configurations)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah97765 View Post
Honestly I dont know. I don't think so, but Adam has my car currently so maybe he can tell us or take a picture

Do all California Emissions on the 99 saturns have a pre-cat?

I don't recall seeing one, but I wasnt looking for it. This is my first time doing any exhaust work so I'm going to miss some things like this initially. I'm assuming that my pre-cat would look similar to the picture below, yeah? I seem to remember my manifold coming to a single point with the O2 sensor. Again, without looking at it here, I'm not sure.

The length wasn't my issue when I was fitting - it was the bolt configuration. (see post #5 for my picture showing the differing bolt configurations)

Precat circled

Also, as I have been told, there should be three 99' setups for SOHC cars.
Not sure about the DOHC cars.
1: Precat,
2: air pump
3: and my SL1, niether!

Now if the DOHC cars had the same setups, that would make six different downpipe/ cat setups for 1999!
I can go into the other model years if need be.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Last edited by mattelderca; 10-19-2011 at 05:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When discussing 99 and 00 models you also have to specify the build year as the rules changed on Jan 1 for those model years.

There are 3 possible combinations of emission certifications and that makes 3 different manifolds possible. The presence of absence of a preCAT is only one of a couple of clues.

I have never made up a table though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #32
Greg1

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

I'm not looking forward to trying to find a CA legal converter for my 97 that has the precat. The state would rather have me junk the car.

On the other hand regarding living here I can wear shorts in the winter and my cars don't rust out.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #33
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are only 2 choices fro the 98 and older card, FED or CA. Fit is not an issue and the cost is even coming down some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #34
Eastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
No precat on this one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Eastern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Eastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There are only 2 choices fro the 98 and older card, FED or CA. Fit is not an issue and the cost is even coming down some.
Check my catalog for new coverage. We have confirmed fits on 96-99

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #36
Greg1

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
Check my catalog for new coverage. We have confirmed fits on 96-99
So a 97 CA means it fits a car with the precat?

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should be the one you want, as long as you have the CA emissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
Greg1

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Thanks for the info. My car is CA emissions with a precat and it had appeared there were many ways to get the wrong one.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

For the 97 there were several front pipe/CAT assemblies. One for all SOHC cars. The DOHC has choices, one for NB6 or FED2 emissions cert, or one for NB7 emissions cert. The NB6 and NB7 are both CA emissions certifications but different. Those are RPO codes and you will find which you have by looking on the tag on th spare tire cover or the emissions certification label on the radiator support. As you can see from the above this is moderately confusing and as time advanced 98->2001 it got much worse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #40
Eastern

We are wrapping up the 99 and were able to solve a lot of issues in the process. We had to make an entire new frame for his car and I literally went and pulled every one of our units and tried to fit it.

His CA does not have a precat and from what I found his manifold was used from 96-99 in certain configurations. Does anyone know if the SOHC and DOHC shared any manifolds or converters between 96-99?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!