SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
-Tim-
-Tim- is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 03 Vue OEM to OEM CD player swap (HELP!)

I've got a 2003 Vue, 4cyl, 5 speed.

It came with the basic CD player package, the single DIN model with the cubby hole under it. I went to the Junk Yard and picked up a 6 disc MP3 cd player from a Vue. I noticed the connectors were different, and I read on here in a previous thread, it was as simple as shaving off 2 of the pieces of plastic on the stock connector... Well I tried it, and no luck. Screen won't light up, cd's won't eject, etc. Stock radio still works fine, but no-go on this one...

The Vue I got this from had the OE subwoofer system in the back. Not sure if that's helpful at all...

And I know I'm crazy, but I forgot to snip off the connectors from the radio when I got it from the yard. (DOH!!!)

I can go back and get the connectors if I need them.

I see in a very basic wiring diagram, that my stock radio didn't connect to any on board system bus or anything, looks like my new radio may have been wired for on-star capability and such. Am I out of luck? Or could I just grab the BCM from the radio donor and go that route?

I know it's my first post on this forum, but I'm very familiar with reading/writing wiring diagrams, re-pinning connectors, a GM techII, PCM re-programming, etc.

Thanks for any insight!!! (unfortunately my diagrams don't show a connector pinnout. Anyone with this info please chime in!)

-Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to -Tim-'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help -Tim- reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
-Tim- is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 03 Vue OEM to OEM CD player swap (HELP!)

Its possible, I used to build conversion harnesses to swap in the newer units.

If you order a 2004 radio harness on Ebay it will give you the pin outs.

link to auction .....and no its not my auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATURN-Radio...item588ed9ecfa

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
-Tim-

Hmm. Looks like my best bet is heading back to the yard to snip the connector. Can't believe I forgot to! I even snipped the connector for the rear wiped motor! My connector now fits in there, but must be pinned wrong. Would you have the pinout for the new radio?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help -Tim- reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
I've got a 2003 Vue, 4cyl, 5 speed.

It came with the basic CD player package, the single DIN model with the cubby hole under it. I went to the Junk Yard and picked up a 6 disc MP3 cd player from a Vue. I noticed the connectors were different, and I read on here in a previous thread, it was as simple as shaving off 2 of the pieces of plastic on the stock connector... Well I tried it, and no luck. Screen won't light up, cd's won't eject, etc. Stock radio still works fine, but no-go on this one...
There's more to it than just shaving the alignment tabs off - also need to move the pins around in the plug to match the new radio.

Follow this wiring guide on my website. Yes, this guide is for the S-Series, but the wiring is the same as a 2003 Vue. I have posted the wiring pinouts below.

Old >> New location, Color (size if applicable), Function

B4 >> B7 Gray (smaller), Dimmer
B12 >> B8 Brown (smaller), Park Lamp Supply Voltage
A4 >> B11 Yellow (smaller), Ign/Acc Switched 12V (+)
B9 >> A1 Grey (larger), Left Front (-)
B8 >> A2 Tan, Left Front (+)
B10 >> A3 Light Blue, Right Rear (-)
B11 >> A4 Dark Blue, Right Rear (+)
A8 >> A5 Brown (larger), Left Rear (+)
A9 >> A6 Yellow (larger), Left Rear (-)
A11 >> A7 Light Green, Right Front (+)
A10 >> A8 Dark Green, Right Front (-)
A12 >> A12 (DOESN’T MOVE) Black, Ground
B1 >> B1 (DOESN’T MOVE) Orange (larger), Constant 12V (+)

Quote:
The Vue I got this from had the OE subwoofer system in the back. Not sure if that's helpful at all...
Don't worry about this. The new radio will detect that a factory amplifier is not present.

Quote:
I see in a very basic wiring diagram, that my stock radio didn't connect to any on board system bus or anything, looks like my new radio may have been wired for on-star capability and such. Am I out of luck? Or could I just grab the BCM from the radio donor and go that route?
Don't worry about this either. The radio will work fine.

Good Luck.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 10-13-2011 at 09:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
-Tim-

That's exactly what I needed!!! Just re-pinned it and its working beautifully! Thank you so much! Hopefully the CD changer mechanism lasts for me! The radio looks new, absolutely no wear on any buttons and no lights out! What a steal for $40! Thanks again for your help!

-Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Fiveldsp
Fiveldsp is on a distinguished road

I am trying to do the exact opposite. I have a 2002 Saturn vue with the oem amp and sub with the 6 disc cd/cassette player. I want to switch it out with the smaller cd only unit with the cubby under it.

What is the pin layout to keep the amp and sub connected?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fiveldsp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fiveldsp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fiveldsp is offline   Reply With Quote