SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Jonnathen
Jonnathen is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Dazed ION-3 quad coupe stall issues

after having my ion stall on me while going 80 on the high way i have been experiencing frequent stalls immediately after turning the key over. i know that its not an electrical issue as i am successfully able to engage the starter and engage the engine. However as soon as i release the key my car will immediately stall out, even if i apply gas pedal (when gas pedal is applied the rpm's still rev up). after anywhere from 2-5 turns of the key my car will finally start and idle. i do not believe this to a fuel or electrical problem, but im a bit lost in the sauce. anyone experience problems like this input would be greatly appreciate.

p.s. please no links to other forum threads

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnathen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnathen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnathen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: ION-3 quad coupe stall issues

it could be:

gunked up throttlebody, map, maf sensor

not enough fuel

an electrical problem (ignition coils, icm, plugs, ignition switch, passlock)

this is a good thread for you to follow to get your ion to a point where we can further help you:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151974

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Jonnathen

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

any one know where i can get some good diagrams?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnathen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

for what?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnathen View Post
after having my ion stall on me while going 80 on the high way i have been experiencing frequent stalls immediately after turning the key over. i know that its not an electrical issue as i am successfully able to engage the starter and engage the engine. However as soon as i release the key my car will immediately stall out, even if i apply gas pedal (when gas pedal is applied the rpm's still rev up). after anywhere from 2-5 turns of the key my car will finally start and idle. i do not believe this to a fuel or electrical problem, but im a bit lost in the sauce. anyone experience problems like this input would be greatly appreciate.

p.s. please no links to other forum threads
I know the fuel filter can be an issue. Another area to check. Do you smell fuel at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Jonnathen

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

After cleaning out my throttle body(tb) and reinstalling it, the vehicle starts up about 95% of the time(5% with the same issue as earlier). But now the car likes to idle higher than usual, around 1600 rpm's, where my norm is 600-700 rpms. And when im driving highway if I don't push the brake down after pressing in the clutch the rpms wont drop, in fact the opposite occurs. Im wondering what/where I goofed up at? Im thinking its my throttle position sensor or my MAF sensor.

Btw. I don't smell gas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

there is no tps in the typical sense. look up tb relearn on here. I suspect when people are seeing problems on here, it's because they are waiting too long to clean them (they gum up in as little as a few months). I ported and polished mine (this reminds me, I have to check it again) a couple years ago, and last time I checked it, it was still spotless where before it would get visibly dirty in a few months.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Jonnathen

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Alright update - I attempted a relearn and was successfully able to lower my rpms. Im not a 100% sure if its what its supposed to be as my idle rpms are 600-700, and when I throw the clutch in between shift, its around 1600rpms. It also sits there for a few secs when I come to stops befor going down to idle rpms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Jonnathen

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Gdi! Back to the drawing board... hmmm its seems to do it after its been sitting for while, especially in the morning...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnathen View Post
Gdi! Back to the drawing board... hmmm its seems to do it after its been sitting for while, especially in the morning...
Do you smell gas at all? This makes me think it is possible this could be an issue. If there is a problem with the fuel system, because of the way fuel injection works, losing pressure etc. If you don't smell gas, water in the fuel, dirt, dirty fuel filter etc. Ion 2006 is pretty good with these issues. I have never experienced any of this myself, except if I stal the engine( I have a standard) then I experience difficulty starting.

Keep at it and I am sure you will find a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Jonnathen

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

OMG!!! Fk this car! I changed the oil yesterday which help with the hard starting issue and today my fkn key wont come out of the ignition! I know all about the issues that everyone has on this site about it, but I just don't have the know-how nor the patients anymore to deal with this car! I was fortunate enough to just be charged for labor after showing them some forums post here about the issue(problems with the plate that sits next to the tumblers). Im at the dealership now waiting for the repairs to finish. Wish me luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!