SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Seized Engine

Had a chance to eyeball what I thought was going to be a 2000, SW2 with seized engine. The owner was not available at the time but has it parked on the street where it died. It turns out to be an LW2 not SW2. Unfortunately, I neglected to verify that it's a 2000.

There is oil on the front of the engine that's run down the front brake, hub and wheel. The car has obvious been neglected. There's no way to know if the trans is any good. It'll need tires very soon, new front brakes, rear tail light crystal, engine (or rebuild), bumpers repainted, gas door replaced or repaired, and seats deep cleaned, tow ($200) and more. I'm not sure it's worth the effort except for the fun of it.

The owner tells me that he got a repair estimate of $1050 for a new engine parts and labor and that the car's book value running is around $3000. Ya, right!

I know nothing about the L's except that the early ones had timing chain issues. When looking underneath my SL seems better built and protected than the LW.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bernie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Seized Engine

Is there a question in there? I'd give him $100 for it, maybe.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Whatever the question(s), more meanigful answers can be found here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is worth whatever the junk yard is paying today for dead cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Don't forget that L-series were turds overall. Electrical issues, BCM failures, water pumps going bad, timing belts on V6, etc..

+1 to PurdueGuy and Rich

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Bernie

1998 SL1

Sorry everybody, my error. This topic started off on a tangent in another thread and I failed to include previous relating posts. What happened is that I thought I had come across an SW2 with a seized engine for sale. But it turned out to be an LW2, so up to that point this thread was in the right place.

No matter, because the issues being discussed were whether such a project was worth taking on and how to un-seize an engine, to which OldNuc replied the following:

"Usually not real difficult. The big risk is the have to come out the top so do not put a big block of wood on the crown and hammer on it as if it lets go and firs out the bottom the ring will lock it into the cylinder and breaking it up will be required. You have to pull the crank out and drive them out from below.

In very bad cases you pack the inside of the piston with dry ice and alcohol. That will shrink it significantly. It is the lower skirt area that has to be shrunk".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Run. Unless you really want the learning experience, want to spend the money, and want a new hobby. And, it isn't an S-Series, so why bother.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Bernie

1998 SL1

Thank you all for your advice, my interest waned when it turned out to be an L instead of S. If the L didn't have such a poor reputation, wasn't automatic and a V6 guzzler it would have made an interesting project. I think the typical junkyard value around here is $400-$500 which I'm guessing the owner has probably already resolved himself to getting. Even at that price, a 15 mile tow, fixing or replacing the engine, doing the brakes, replacing tires etc., etc., you end up better off buying something that runs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yep, it is a perfect candidate for the local pick and pull yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote