SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
chainsaw064
chainsaw064 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Car running rough, replaced EGR

First time posting here. thanks to everyone who helps.

I was given a 2001 SC2 with 266k miles. This car runs great with the EGR disconnected. I was told to check the oil every 1000 miles, no smoke from the tail pipe or any leaks it just burns oil. I get 30 mpg. When I connect the EGR the car runs like a dog.

Yesterday, following another tread here. I replaced the EGR, CPS (this was fun), ECTS with any change. Where do I go from here?

Thanks
Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chainsaw064's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chainsaw064 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chainsaw064 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: Car running rough, replaced EGR

What do you mean "disconnected"?

Do you mean only the wires disconnected or do you mean you unbolted it and blocked the holes off, and remounted the device back on the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
chainsaw064

2001 SC2

This would be with the connector disconnected. With it disconnected I get the P0405 code. I came home from work this evening and tried the two quarter trick blocking the EGR, with the connecter plugged in. I got the P0405 code right away, and it ran terrible.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chainsaw064 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

So the car runs great with the EGR wires pulled, and poorly when connected and the results were the same when you bought a replacement EGR.

Hmmmm If we are playing stump the chump, you got me...

Maybe some of our more senior experts like Oldnuc, Mad or Fdryer can advise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

If you put in a brand new EGR valve, and the engine works poorly when it's plugged in, and well when unplugged, then there is likely a fault in the wiring. Could also be a faulty valve sensor, but unlikely. You can test the valve sensor (center three terminals) with an ohmmeter. Measure between the center and each adjacent terminal, one at a time. Move pintle. Resistance should change smoothly and start and stop in the same place repeatedly.

If the fault is in the wiring, you can check the wiring by connecting it to the EGR valve. One end of the three center terminals should measure +5 volts. The other end of the three should measure 0 volts. The center terminal should vary as the pintle is moved.

The outer two terminals send voltage to the valve solenoid coil. Voltage should be 0 at both at idle. Voltage should increase at one as the valve is opened to varying degrees while cruising, and only while cruising.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
chainsaw064

2001 SC2

what do you mean by moving pintle?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

The EGR valve contains a movable device called a pintle. This device performs the valving action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote