SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
JessicaDenny13
JessicaDenny13 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Wrench 03 vue 3.0 pcv valve/breather box?

Love this forum. Without it there is no doubt in my mind we would not have this Vue. So, Valve cover gaskets are leaking. I did timing belt and water pump at 130k, tune up and valve cover gaskets, plenum gaskets, throttle body gasket, and so on at 155k. Now at 177k i can smell oil burning when i open the hood. I was wondering if anyone has replaced, or serviced this breather box on the rear head? I am having trouble even getting a price for this part. I also need to get a thermostat outlet tube, the last one was "repaired". I can add that to the list with front strut mounts, drive shaft bearing, and sway bar bushings Any help would be great! Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JessicaDenny13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JessicaDenny13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JessicaDenny13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 vue 3.0 pcv valve/breather box?

I have no 3.0 parts recognition skills.

Does the following resemble your gadget?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 Crnkcase Vent Housing R2.pdf (34.5 KB, 227 views)

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

I'm not sure if it is my computer or what, but it will not let me view or download the pdf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JessicaDenny13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaDenny13 View Post
I'm not sure if it is my computer or what, but it will not let me view or download the pdf?
Have you tried to open other PDF?

Perhaps one you've previously saved?

Lets try jpg - click on thumbnail ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 Vue-Crank Vent 001.jpg (176.4 KB, 87 views)

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 10-06-2011 at 09:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

Got it. I'll re download adobe reader later. This is my problem. Small hose running to TB is hard as a rock and nipple on top of breather box is clogged solid with crud. Could this cause a valve cover leak after 22k? I would like to replace it instead of a clean/service. Does anyone know where I can purchase one(besides the chevy dealer)? Also if i remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running - no change in rpm. No blow-by smoke when engine is off and cap removed. I have always ran synthetic 10w-30 and kept my intervals below 4k. Trying to talk my self into changing plugs again while i have the intake off! If only i can find my blue plastic fuel line tool..... Again thanks for all the help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I'd try cleaning the box and hose.

Goal is to note a vacuum at dipstick hole with engine RPM around 1500 (oil fill cap installed).

If vent system is clogged, or marginal now, you'll see some really ugly cam-cover leaks if temps drop below freezing in your locale.

I believe GM released a 3.0 service bulletin to reroute the vacuum line - I'll try to find and see how to get to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
3RedLines
3RedLines will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
... I also need to get a thermostat outlet tube, the last one was "repaired"...
Advanced and O'reily have a Thermostat Outlet listed, but it's not cheap.

Vues currently owned:
3 04 Redlines - 2 02 3.0l AWDs -03 Black 2.2l MT - 02 Parts Vue
Other cars:
01 Cadillac SLS -96 Buick Wagon -88 Pontiac Fiero 3800SC - 89 Buick Reatta

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

Only thing i could find was the thermostat and the housing itself. I am looking for the potmetal pipe that acts as the anode for the cooling system. Personally, I would have made it into the radiator drain. Broke at the flange when installing it. (newbie mistake) And the machine shop say they can't weld inferior metal? Mr. JB is hanging in there, but I know it has different heat characteristics than the tube. On the Intake side of things, I'm pulling the manifold this weekend. I will most likely replace both pcv and breather hoses. So, is this box hollow or will i end up just cleaning out the nipple? When i remove the crankcase breather I would like to use a new gasket. Ideas? I guess a LITTLE silicone wouldn't hurt?
Thank you so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I have a roll of gasket material in my garage - bought from JC Whitney last century. Perhaps one of your local parts stores have some of that stuff.

Its not very difficult to create a new gasket, and generally much less expensive, (and handier) than a factory job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

I can get a roll a gasket material no problem. I would think a thinner paper type would be better than the cork stuff? Maybe a little gasgasinch?i use to lay it over the back of the part with the part in the vise, then lay the gasket material over it a lightly tap with a small ball-pean hammer to make the indentation on the edges of the gasket. Blast from the past for the Vue "space shuttle".
Does anyone buy the second design valve cover gaskets? Any good results? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I am looking for the potmetal pipe that acts as the anode for the cooling system.
This extension pipe?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...-/110659540116

I'd say JY or dealer ($68 iirc)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I'd say JY or dealer ($68 iirc)
Here ya go . . .
GM# 90411629 $67.86 (list price)

Punch that PN in here ($47.84) . . .
http://www.gmpartscenter.net/index.p...partnum=accept

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L
Wrench Re: 03 vue 3.0 pcv valve/breather box?

So, knowing me I will probably hunt some Saab cars down at the local pull-a-parts around here. I am very interested to see these turbo 3.0 motors as described in the ebay thread for the coolant pipe. 99, 00, 01 Saab 9-5 3.0 v6 turbo. I wonder if these Vue 3.0s could hold some boost with the right tuning.
If all the pipes have been pilfered from the p-a-p, i will go through GM parts Center. Thanks again for the wonderful advice! I'll be hunting a breather box as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

The breather box is listed on ebay as an oil separator. Well, I do believe mine is clogged. No vacuum on dipstick at 1500 rpm. No pressure or smoke either though. And inside the throttle body was oil residue from the fresh air tube that runs to the oil separator. cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-SAAB-9-5-95-3-0-V6-TURBO-OIL-TRAP-SEPERATOR-/120695356607?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item1c1a00fcbf

Just looked up 99 00 01 saab 9-5 3.0 and scrolled down. The possibility of having a reliable shuttle is right over the horizon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L
Checkered Flag Re: 03 vue 3.0 pcv valve/breather box?

Check out this vid. Go to you tube and search Saab 9-5 3.0t vacuum in crankcase. Is this the normal for these engines? I have seen some Mazda's do this before. He is saying his sound is from the timing belt tensioner and pulleys. Sounds alot like cam bearings and followers(lifters) don't it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

Just picked up a FEL-PRO valve cover gasket set. # VS 50566 R. Fits 2962cc v6 dohc found in many Saab and GM cars and trucks. I think it's great telling people that I have a Saab motor in my girlfriend's car. They hear Saturn Vue and the first thing that comes to their mind is "transmission." Tomorrow I will find my 6" T30 torx bit and blue plastic angled fuel line tool, and run the Ace hardware and get a roll of thin-but-not-to-thin gasket material. And a new flex head ratchet and....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If all the pipes have been pilfered from the p-a-p, i will go through GM parts Center.
Cheaper still . . .
http://www.saabpartsonline.com/index...num=90-411-629

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

Sweet. I have the intake off. I love my blue plastic 3/8 fuel line tool. Came off first try. Front valve cover was leaking into the spark plug wells as well as onto the manifold. Small vacuum line to breather box is clogged solid. After i vacuum out the oil and clean the head mating surfaces I will replace the front valve cover and move to the rear v/c and breather box. Got my roll of gasket material - $3.95. "impervious to oil and heat" I will post again soon. Need to get that water neck pipe too, unbolt and twist to left and pull right? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
...unbolt and twist to left and pull right? Thanks!
Sometimes it also takes quite a bit of wiggling back and forth while pulling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
JessicaDenny13

2003 VUE 3.0L

Engine is running very strong now! I did have to do an extended crank even after priming the pump 3 times. I attributed this to the non-return type fuel system. I have no leaks and the dipstick tube has a light suction at 1500 to 2000 rpm. New 5/8 breather tube re-routed over the intake as per the tsb. Also replace the small vacuum hose. Crankcase breather nipple was clogged solid. I also cleaned the inside out and made me an awesome gasket. Since I removed the oil puddling on the spark plugs, I believe we will have smoother cold starts now. Best thing of all is we don't have to worry about the oil leak and the smell! One thing I did find when I was looking around on ebay that I think we could benifit from was a cylinder type pcv catch can with a drain on the bottom. I think this in conjunction with the factory oil separator would keep most of the crank vent oil out of the intake. "Universal JDM 750ml oil catch reservoir tank can." Price is 11 bucks, shipping is 10$ I think it will look good next to the polished cold air intake. Thanks again for all the help! I will post some pictures as soon as i get a new usb cable for my girlfriends camera.

Last edited by JessicaDenny13; 10-13-2011 at 10:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!