SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
R33SMods
R33SMods is on a distinguished road

Default DIC Locked in French mode

Hey guys,
Wanted to see if anyone has the solution to this one:

I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XE and the problem is that the DIC (Driver Information Center) doesn't respond at all. I purchased the car from a second hand car dealer, and he purchased it from a man who bought the car in Quebec and so my car speaks only in French. The car has some pretty cool gadgets like OnStar, XM radio, MP3 CD player and so on and they all suck right now because the last owner set everything up in french and I can't get it back to English. Now, I'm not stupid, I did read the manual and it says to go to the personalization menu in the DIC by pressing the info and reset buttons simultaneously and release after 1 second (engine off of course) and when I do it nothing happens. Also, when I try to get a readout other than the temperature and the mileage of the car by pressing the info button, nothing happens there as well.

Is my car defective, or is there a software lock that I can override and get my car speaking english to me?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to R33SMods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help R33SMods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
R33SMods is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: DIC Locked in French mode

The only lock I have seen is that it needs to be in park to get at certain functions. The info button should change through the options, then holding the arrow thing is the reset.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
R33SMods

so I suppose the buttons or the circuitry underneath them need to be replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help R33SMods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

There is some post on here about taking the buttons off for swapping xe/xr buttons. Could be the buttons are bad or worse. Do the cruise buttons work? or the radio buttons?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I believe you may need to hold the buttons a little longer than 1 second. At least on mine I did. Then cycle through with the Info button.

I don't know whether tinkering with the electronics before having a GM Saturn Authorized Service Center look at it is a good idea or not - unless you really know what you're doing. They've seen these things before and can at least tell you whether it's a button problem or something more involved.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh2000 View Post
There is some post on here about taking the buttons off for swapping xe/xr buttons.
There is no difference between XE and XR buttons. The only difference is that there was a mid year design change early on. First design buttons are level with the surface of the surrounding trim bezel. The second design buttons are a little more raised. This goes for both XE and XR.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

All else fails:

http://www.rosettastone.com/homeschool-french

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L & '13 Suzuki Kizashi S 6MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R33SMods View Post
Hey guys,
Wanted to see if anyone has the solution to this one:

I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XE and the problem is that the DIC (Driver Information Center) doesn't respond at all. I purchased the car from a second hand car dealer, and he purchased it from a man who bought the car in Quebec and so my car speaks only in French. The car has some pretty cool gadgets like OnStar, XM radio, MP3 CD player and so on and they all suck right now because the last owner set everything up in french and I can't get it back to English. Now, I'm not stupid, I did read the manual and it says to go to the personalization menu in the DIC by pressing the info and reset buttons simultaneously and release after 1 second (engine off of course) and when I do it nothing happens. Also, when I try to get a readout other than the temperature and the mileage of the car by pressing the info button, nothing happens there as well.

Is my car defective, or is there a software lock that I can override and get my car speaking english to me?
Look on ebay for steering wheel buttons. They are easily replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

PM me with your email addy & I'll send you the button replacement How-To from the GMSI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Wheel Control Switch Assembly Replacement.jpg (101.4 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Could be wrong, but I bet the Malibu & the G6 use the same button assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Could be wrong, but I bet the Malibu & the G6 use the same button assembly.

Same looking buttons. Different colors. The colored LED's are soldered to the board.

The first thing I'd try would be pressing the buttons for a slightly longer amount of time. Then I'd try unplugging the harness from the clock spring then the buttons themselves and plugging them back in. If neither of those work, then replacement might be necessary.

See pics starting in post #2 for how to replace them.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170268

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Malibu buttons:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item519a1c3eb4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Wow those are expensive!!!!

I think I paid $30 for my Aura ones when I added the radio controls. Might of been less. I got the left and right sides, plus the wire harness.

And a little FYI.

Malibu:

Aura/SKY

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
R33SMods

Well, thanks for all the info guys. From what I'm seeing here, it's probably easier to just get a quote on having it fixed at the dealership, easiest way to deal with it. As it stands, the other buttons for the car still work, it's only the info and reset buttons. Now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the button board replacement will only work if there is a defect there and if it is a wiring issue, or if it is a computer problem, then replacing the part will effectively do nothing. I got a friend here who used to work for GM, so I think I'll ask him what to make of the problem.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you know how my trip to the service department goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the button board replacement will only work if there is a defect there and if it is a wiring issue, or if it is a computer problem, then replacing the part will effectively do nothing.
The odds are highly skewed that the mechanical interface (momentary contact switch in this case) is at fault.

Last edited by greenman; 09-28-2011 at 11:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
And a little FYI:
Well, I should of known better then to make that assumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
R33SMods

Another thought occurs to me... I recently disconnected the battery because I'm parking the car for a while... What are the chances my DIC will reset itself while i am gone, if the backup battery manages to die? For that matter, is this a battery that is user serviceable? If i can get it out, might just reset the whole thing and i can be on my merry way. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Will this possibly cause the mileage to reset as well? I would never reset the miles on my car because it is fraud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Another thought occurs to me... I recently disconnected the battery because I'm parking the car for a while... What are the chances my DIC will reset itself while i am gone, if the backup battery manages to die? For that matter, is this a battery that is user serviceable? If i can get it out, might just reset the whole thing and i can be on my merry way. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Will this possibly cause the mileage to reset as well? I would never reset the miles on my car because it is fraud.
There is no backup battery.

If pressing & holding INFO & RESET buttons simultaneously does nothing, more than likely one of the buttons is not making contact. They are just simple normally-open momentary contact switches. In your case the INFO button appears to be bad. Very simple to test it for continuity across the switch when pressed using a DMM or a simple continuity checker after it's removed.

Last edited by greenman; 10-15-2011 at 01:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!