SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Wrench Replacing CV joints?

Question... has anyone done this at all?

Easy?
Hard?
Need a lift to do it?
How long of a job is this?

Why is there such a HUGE price difference in CV joints? Autozone has them for over $200 for one, while Rock Auto is selling them for $45-$55 for some decent Dorman and Cardone.

Any advice at all? Can turn a decent wrench, have done plenty of other repairs on my cars...if this is doable would like to attempt to this myself.

What are the symptoms of bad CV joints? I would assume that there may be some minor fluid leakage along with some road noise as well?

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Replacing CV joints?

When they are bad they wil click or crunch as you turn a tight slow corner. Roll the windows down and listen.

They are not hard to change and nice used ones from the JY are maybe 20.00 ea and better quality than any rebuilt or import new. the $50.00 are rebuilts and the 200 are new.

Why do you think they are bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Question... has anyone done this at all?

Easy?
Hard?
Need a lift to do it?
How long of a job is this?

Why is there such a HUGE price difference in CV joints? Autozone has them for over $200 for one, while Rock Auto is selling them for $45-$55 for some decent Dorman and Cardone.

Any advice at all? Can turn a decent wrench, have done plenty of other repairs on my cars...if this is doable would like to attempt to this myself.

What are the symptoms of bad CV joints? I would assume that there may be some minor fluid leakage along with some road noise as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

OldNuc, thank you for the reply.

This goes back to May of this year; when my mechanic friend replaced my clutch with a new one...

1994 SL2
182K miles
5 Speed
I believe I have a slow leak from the Driver's side CV joint. It is wet; whereas the Passenger side is Dry. I have alot of Road noise from the Driver's wheel. Brakes are good as they were just replaced recently. I get alot of road noise when driving at higher speeds and some minor pulsasting.

My mechanic friend had mentioned to me that he thinks that the CV joint may be bad on the Driver's side...unless it is a front driver's side wheel bearing?

Just have alot of excessive road noise on the Driver's Side...

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

what's going to be a total bi+ch is getting that axle nut off; you practically need a breaker bar if not an impact gun to get it off. and it's a HUGE nut; we just did the CV joints on a Hon-Duhhhh Civic today and yesterday come to think of it.

all CV experience I've had was doing it from a lift... perhaps you _might_ be able to get away with jack stands.

oh yeah, the torque specs, if needed Bryan, I can look it up for you tomorrow at class. AllData FTW. keep in mind that the axle nuts have to be new, you can't reuse them, and the axle nut is going to need triple digit torque.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Ugh.... Nice. Fun times.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
what's going to be a total bi+ch is getting that axle nut off; you practically need a breaker bar if not an impact gun to get it off. and it's a HUGE nut;
When I took off my axle nuts, it was recommended to have the tires on sitting on the ground. A 1/2 inch breaker bar and what I call the "big gun". My big gun is a 3ft long heavy galvanized pipe I slip over my breaker bar.

I read about many posters that used a 30mm long socket that worked for most while others argued the real size is 29mm. I measured and at least for my 96sl2 it is indeed 29mm. Way too much play with a 30mm socket for my taste.

After the nuts are off, jack stands are fine. You really don't need anything fancy here. I think the torque is 146 or 149ft-lbs... cant remember exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

OldNuc walked me through this a few years back, not hard for a n00bish wrench-turner
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137511

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote