SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
LaraKimbo
LaraKimbo is on a distinguished road

Question Revving problems

I have a 2000 saturn SL1 SOHC with approximately 225K miles on it. She's been a great car, but recently I've been having some problems.

Occasionally in the past, and pretty much consistently now, my car has been having some revving problems. When I am in drive, the RPM stays right around 1000. Nothing I can do will bring it down. If I am at a stop, as soon as I take my foot off the brake the car moves forward, like I am pressing on the gas pedal. And when I put the car into either neutral or park, the RPM revs up to around 2000... and stays there. It never comes down ... Although, I haven't let my car sit at 2000 in park for very long. I have been shutting my car off in gear and then shifting to park. I have also noticed that the car has been shifting funny. It's shifting at higher RPMs than normal. It also downshifts kinda hard.

This past weekend, I did some long needed maintenance on the car. I
*changed out the ECTS
*replaced the thermostat
*drained and replaced the coolant
*cleaned out the EGR and replaced the gasket
*cleaned out the throttle body
*changed oil and filter (I had the car up so I figured may as well)

I thought I had fixed the problem. The car ran GREAT for about 6 days. It idled at about 500 RPM, shifted through the gears great, and just generally ran like a brand new car. Last night I got stuck in some pretty heavy rush hour traffic, and the revving started up again. My next plan of attack is either the TPS or the idle air control.

Any opinions on which I should try first? I have had the car into the mechanic and they can't "duplicate the problem".

2000 SL1 with over 250,000 miles on her.

"Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?" -Arthur Dent-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LaraKimbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LaraKimbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LaraKimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL
Default Re: Revving problems

First trick to try, when it is idling high turn off the ignition. Restart the car and see if the idle has returned to normal.
If it does, replace the TPS (throttle position sensor).

If the idle is still high after a restart, spray water or carb cleaner on the joint between the intake manifold and the head, at the number one cylinder. (passenger side, behind power steering pump.) The third generation SOHC engines are prone to gasket failure here and it will cause a high idle and possibly a cylinder one misfire. See my photos for this.

Any SES light activity?

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
LaraKimbo

Thanks for your reply.

The idle is not fixed by turning the car off and back on. It stays high. (although I will try this again tonight to see if I just didn't notice it.)

I changed out the intake manifold gasket about 4 years ago, so it's not that.

This one has me completely stumped.

I had a P0442 about 2 weeks ago, and the SES light went out as soon as I finished all the above maintenance. Do you have any suggestions on how to check for a vacuum leak that doesn't involve taking my car into a mechanic?

"Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?" -Arthur Dent-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LaraKimbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraKimbo View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The idle is not fixed by turning the car off and back on. It stays high. (although I will try this again tonight to see if I just didn't notice it.)

I changed out the intake manifold gasket about 4 years ago, so it's not that.

This one has me completely stumped.

I had a P0442 about 2 weeks ago, and the SES light went out as soon as I finished all the above maintenance. Do you have any suggestions on how to check for a vacuum leak that doesn't involve taking my car into a mechanic?
You can spray wd40, water (in a windex bottle), or carb cleaner to help spot vacuum leaks on some things. If you did the gasket, I'd double check it anyway. One way to test the IAC solenoid is to remove the air intake tube from the throttle body, start the car, then put your finger over the small hole in the bottom of the throttlebody. The idle should drop down low, about 500 rpm. When you remove your finger the car should rev up and then return to normal. If it does drop but not return to normal, clean the IAC.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
LaraKimbo

Again, THANKS!!! I'll try that tonight!

I think I'll also try taking the throttle body off and cleaning it and the IAC (because the IAC probably hasn't been cleaned since I bought the car)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!