SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
SaturnIon2004
SaturnIon2004 is on a distinguished road

Default 04' Saturn Ion Clutch Problem

Well i have a 2004 saturn ion with 66 thousand miles. three times in the last 10 days the clutch has gotten stuck feeling like the cable is hanging up. Like their wont be much pressure, then when letting the clutch out, it lets out real fast and after pumping the clutch a few times the problem goes away. I noticed on the clutch cable that goes to the transmission, right where it enters the transmission, there is a small hole with a cover over it. Is this some kind of lube point, and if it is what kind of lube would i use to maybe solve this problem. The best way to describe the problem would be the clutch gets stuck feeling and then will be extremely difficult to shift gears because its so sensitive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIon2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIon2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
SaturnIon2004

Default Re: 04' Saturn Ion Clutch Problem

Here is a picture of the clutch cable going into transmission with the nipple of some sorts and a rubber cap that goes over it. Is this some kind of lube point, or is it a bleed point? And again everyone once in awhile the clutch feels like it gets stuck down and i lose action in the pedal, then the clutch will release really fast. Its intermittent though, it always goes right away after a few pumps of the clutch. Does this sound like some kind of lube problem with the clutch cable itself?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P230911_11.06.jpg (89.5 KB, 71 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIon2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
satlite440
Advanced Member
satlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

that looks like a hydrolic line hows the cluch fluid level?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Itzon
Itzon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I had the same thing happen on my 04 QC.

Mine was only doing it on a really hot day, and only if the car was stopped and I had the clutch depressed while stopped. The pedal pressure would come back after driving for a short distance.

It seemed like the hydraulic fluid was boiling and couldn't hold pressure, and I'm pretty sure that's what was happening.

Maybe a week prior, I was trying to fix an exhaust rattle and was banging on the heat shield by the cat converter trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from. I must have pushed the heat shield up against the hydraulic line(it runs behind the tunnel heat shield). Anyway, I put the car back on the ramps and bent the shield away from the lines and I haven't lost pedal pressure again.

If the conditions when it happens sound similar, you should check your heat shield and make sure it's not causing the problem.

Itzon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Itzon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Itzon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Itzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you might also need to bleed the clutch. it requires being vacuum bled.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Sounds like the clutch master cylinder may be letting air get by the seals and into the system. Replace the clutch master and vacuum bleed the system (brake master cylinder reservior is the clutch reservior). This should fix your problem.
Make sure first that you are not leaking brake fluid (clutch fluid) from the bell housing of the trans indicating a leaking slave cylinder.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
SaturnIon2004

Ok i checked the fluid level it was down very little bit so i just topped it off. its funny you mentioned heat shields because we were just under there replacing the cat with a walker ultra and possibly we bent the heat sheilds to bind on one of the lines, i will check that out thanks!. Also if it is the master cylinder i guess time will tell, i do have to say the symptoms are not that bad seeing how i just drove my car 200 miles yesterday and the clutch ran perfect the whole time. Thanks again for the answers!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!