SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default How do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

After reading this blog - http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270 - it appears that OnStar will now obtain your driving data and/or habits and sell them to 3rd parties...EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE!

So, since I do not subscribe to OnStar anyway and do not desire for them to make money from my private data, how do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

Thanks.

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
GPCBAKER
GPCBAKER is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
Default Re: How do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

I agree. It's an uninvited invasion of your privacy. I recently purchased a new Chevrolet that was OnStar equipped (free trial time).
I also own a data collecting device that plugs into the OBD-II port under the steering wheel. Just to check a few pieces of data I had my 'chip' plugged into my new car for a few days. OnStar contacted me and said that I 'must have something connected to my OBD-II port' and it was stopping them from collecting the data they have the ability to collect. I knew what I had and very soon afterward removed the 'chip' so OnStar could collect data. They were then happy.
I considered leaving my 'chip' installed in the port but was led to believe they could influence the new car warranty by notifying the dealership after notifying me. BIG BROTHER #&%!@
FYI: the chip I have had for a few years and is from Davis Instruments (not giving them a plug) and is called DriveRight Car Chip E/X. Don't remember what it cost but collects around 12 to 15 data goodies from the computers. If interested you should be able to BING or GOOGLE to find on net.
As far as a physical disconnect, I have no idea. By the way, I only kept OnStar for about 3 months. Didn't like OnStar, liked SIRRUS Radio.

1999 SL2, My first Saturn. GONE
1996 SW2, My second Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GPCBAKER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GPCBAKER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GPCBAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

There's also at least one "connect your iPod / iPhone to your car" device that replaces the OnStar module on the market. These are the ones that make a bluetooth connection to your device, and let you use the radio controls, steering wheel buttons to control your device, and the car speakers and microphone also.

If I can find it again I'll attach a link - a search through the forums here should certainly turn up references if you can't wait for me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Most, if not all, OnStar components consists of the OnStar module, the vehicle communications interface module (VCIM) that connects to the radio and other modules. I'm guessing that locating and disconnecting power to it will render it disabled and unable to xmit any signal.......................

Left pic - Ions, right pic - Vues. I do not know where it is located in Outlooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion vcim.jpg (60.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Vue vcim.jpg (102.9 KB, 49 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
08Carbon

2008 Outlook XE

OK, after searching for a while I came across another forum and found out where the OnStar module is located.

Quote:
Very interested in any experience with this product as well where the Onstar module is located in the Outlooks.

left rear wheel well, behind the jack.
This was quoted from a discussion about adding an aftermarket device that would allow usage of the Bluetooth feature without having to subscribe to OnStar.

So, I will try to disconnect it soon and see what happens. Anyone know if this will cause any issues with anything else?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Just pull the fuse for the onstar module (VCIM), or you could unplug all connectors that plug into it. Fuse is easier. It cant work if it has no power. It will not cause any problems. If you still had service it would just give you a red led light next to the onstar button.

Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ

94 SW2-my daily, custom intake and ported throttle body
2007 Ion 3 2.4L ---custom intake, HP tune, stock Redline coil springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

'Carbon did ya pull the fuse yet ? Any unforeseen complications that "saturn tech" had not heard of ...

nite, doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: How do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

...later in evening i chkd my manual which i had accidentally brought inside.

Referencing pg 5-98 (and next) a fuse (allegedly) found in the "InstrumentPanelFuseBlock", designated "Onstar/Vent" ! Usage: emissions

Who is going to test it

doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
08Carbon

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
...later in evening i chkd my manual which i had accidentally brought inside.

Referencing pg 5-98 (and next) a fuse (allegedly) found in the "InstrumentPanelFuseBlock", designated "Onstar/Vent" ! Usage: emissions

Who is going to test it

doug c
Sorry for the late reply.

I also noticed the fuse description in the manual and decided not to pull that fuse. The only thing I have done is to disconnect two black cables that I believe to be antennas. There are two other connections to that module that have multiple smaller wires of various colors. I am debating on removing those as well, but I'm not sure if this will cause any other issues. I guess I'll just have to test it and see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Roll Eyes Re: How do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

Looked back at your earlier post, and see that the onstar mod' is within the jack well.
Will look at it also when i go in there after the jack in a week or so when I'm swapping out summer' for winter set.

I would think that if the blacks' look like antennaes ya should be okay now The others (multi-wires) are likely the leads from various linked components. imho

nite, doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: How do I physically disconnect the OnStar system?

FYI, after I swapped out my summer for winter set of tires before packing things back into the compartment, I grunted/swore and groaned before finally popping off the wto antannae (sp?) looking wires from the bottom of the shiny metal unit. I left the multi-wire connects alone.

In the couple wks since no warning bells or whistles, although I haven't pressed the phone symbol on my visor to chk if the connection to onstar was shutdown !!

ie. at least 3 months ago even though I ceased the service (like 2 yrs back, freebie fini) I had pressed the button to try out a contest entry offer it did work at that time and I was chatting with one of their CSRs !!

nite,
doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!