SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Cartell
Cartell is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Turn signals & hazards intermittent in 91 SL2

Hello,

I can see from browsing here that the electrical parts are very different for each model, and before I take the car to the garage wonder if you could point out what parts they might quote for for my year.

91 SL2 turn signals became more cranky each time I drive. Ok in startup, then blink only once or twice or not at all while driving. Reading the forums, I notice other people mention hazards. I've never used mine, but same with them: ok on startup, but when turns don't work, neither do hazards.

I don't see a hazard light fuse in the diagram, just a turn fuse. Is it called something different? Just by looking, fuses all look same to me.

Is this more likely to be a hazard switch or steering wheel problem, do you know? Are hazards/turns connected in this model? Hopefully not steering wheel, as that sounds very expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cartell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cartell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cartell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Turn signals & hazards intermittent in 91 SL2

The HAZARD fuse is in the underhood fuse box. But that's not likely the problem, as it's involving both the turn and hazard. They are connected (of course, they use the same bulbs). They also use the same flasher module, which is located on the back side of the interior fuse box. You take off the kick panel on the driver's side to access it. That's your most likely suspect.

If it is the switch, it's behind the steering wheel, not in it. It's one big part, called the Lever Combination Switch, that includes everything on both stalks. Actually not that hard to remove; you remove the steering wheel (puller tool available at your FLAPS for free lending) and an electrical part called the clockspring. Not having an air bag simplifies things some.

But check out that flasher module first. A junkyard replacement would be an easy/cheap way to "test" it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Cartell
Cartell is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Turn signals & hazards intermittent in 91 SL2

Thanks very much, madpogue, that's very helpful, and I've printed this out for the garage. I understand what 2 things they'll check now.

I would give you points, but the forum says I need to "spread it around" before giving you points again...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cartell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cartell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cartell is offline   Reply With Quote