SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
JamesAW
JamesAW is on a distinguished road

Default L-100 - Won't start - no dash lights - then restarts

Hi there,

My 2002 L100 has 120K miles and today when turning over the ignition the car lost power and all of the lights on the dash went off.

After taking the keys out of the ignition, I put them back in and turned the key to the run position. No lights came up on the dash and the engine (obviously) wasn't turning over; no sounds were made. I tried restarting the car several times and left it for 2 minutes and then it would turn over.

I drove 10 miles away to the grocery store, returned to the car 10 minutes later, and again, no dash lights, no power, no sounds and it wouldn't start. This time I had to wait between 5 and 10 minutes before it would restart. I had tried several times to turn the engine over and had the same response: no dash lights, no power, no cranking, no sounds.

The car has had no problems starting and so this is a new phenomenon. The battery was changed about 6 weeks ago to a slightly lower rated Battery (650 CCA) after the old one failed, and I live in Georgia where cold temperature starts are rare.

I checked the fuses related to ignition and they all looked okay. I'm stumped and welcome any ideas of where to look to resolve this.

Thanks!
James

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JamesAW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JamesAW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JamesAW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Sterling Archer
Sterling Archer is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: L-100 - Won't start - no dash lights - then restarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAW View Post
The car has had no problems starting and so this is a new phenomenon. The battery was changed about 6 weeks ago to a slightly lower rated Battery (650 CCA) after the old one failed, and I live in Georgia where cold temperature starts are rare.

I checked the fuses related to ignition and they all looked okay. I'm stumped and welcome any ideas of where to look to resolve this.

Thanks!
James
Pull the battery and have it bench tested (i.e. advanced). It could be that one or more of the cells are bad. It's also possible that the newer battery isn't up to the task. This test would be free too.

As you just had this put in, that's the first thing I would do. You'd be suprised the amount of screwy $h1t that can happen with even a relatively new battery (four months old, in my case). That was in a Mercedes too...the battery wasn't cheap.

Checking the fuses would have been my other suggestion, but I see that you already did that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sterling Archer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sterling Archer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

check for corrosion on the terminals, cables and up the cable in the jacket. baking soda, water and a toothbrush will destroy corrosion on contact.

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
GM572
GM572 is on a distinguished road

Yes definitely check the connections at the battery. Same exact thing happened to mine after I replaced the battery. Corrosion caused a bad connection causing the car not to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
JamesAW

Hi Sterling Archer, Mattachuz, and GM572,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences, and for your advice to look at the battery, corrosion on the terminals, connections, and cables.

The cables and terminals are free of corrosion, and the car has been working perfectly for the past three days. Hopefully the situation was temporary and resolved itself.

Thanks to each of you for your support, I appreciate you reaching out.

James

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JamesAW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

If the problem recurs, try cutting away the rubber coverings for the battery terminals. Sometimes these get sandwiched between the metal of the terminal and the battery post. The cover can also trap any weeping battery electrolyte and direct it down the cable, causing it to corrode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
JamesAW

Thank you Born Again!
I will consider your tips if needed.

James

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may also have an alternator going, I had a similar happening, it was the alternator. I had to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote