SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
guyc66
guyc66 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2002 SC2
Default '08 Saturn VUE XE tranny fluid change

Has anyone changed the automatic transmission fluid in their '08 VUE XE yet? Did you do it yourself or have it done at a dealership? If you did the work yourself do you have any tips for us do-it-yourself people? My local Chevrolet dealer wants $200 to do a tranny flush. I know that would probably be better than just a fluid change, but seems rather expensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated....thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyc66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyc66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: '08 Saturn VUE XE tranny fluid change

I recently looked at how this is done, and if I recall correctly the fluid level needs to be adjusted on a lift, engine running and with the right front wheel removed to access the level plug. I may have that wrong, but in any case I'm also interested in this info. I'm at 55k and even though GM recommends fluid change at 100k I would prefer to get this done sooner rather than later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neilpilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
2008vueXE
2008vueXE is on a distinguished road

Doesnt this have a sealed tranny? Don't need service right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2008vueXE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2008vueXE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2008vueXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
olds362
olds362 is on a distinguished road

ALL transmissions need the fluid and filter changed at regular intervals to make them last. Fluid does break down and does not last forever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to olds362's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help olds362 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
olds362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
neilpilot

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008vueXE View Post
Doesnt this have a sealed tranny? Don't need service right?
Incorrect. The 2008 VUE owner manual Maintenance Service section specifies ATF fluid change at 100k miles (50k for severe service). This is the case for all 2008 automatics (can't comment on other model years). As I said above, I prefer not to wait until 100k based on overall experience. Would like to hear from other owners who have real experience with ATF change in 2008 2.4L automatic, not debate if a fluid change should be done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
BluVu
BluVu is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

I just had a full transmission service done, just over 50k miles.. They changed the fluid, filter, and added a tranny cooler for just over $250.. Well worth having the dealer do it for me, based on the lengthy procedure in my service manual in the car, along with all the specialty tools it says are needed to do the job properly (took them the better part of the day).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BluVu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BluVu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BluVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
neilpilot

2008 VUE 2.4L

Anyone here DYI a VUE 2008 ATF change? Would like to hear the details on if this is DYI-friendly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
neilpilot

2008 VUE 2.4L

I'm reopening this since I'm now at just under 80k. I still would like to hear from an owner of a 08-09 VUE XE (4 cyl) who has DYIed their auto transmission fluid change. I have no problem doing this in 2-3 step, i.e. partial drain and refills to flush the torque converter.

As much as it pains me, if I can't DYI this job I will likely take it to either a dealer or an indy shop for this service. I don't want to wait 'till much past my current mileage. I know, Saturn said 100k is OK, but I don't buy that.

Has anyone here done this job??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
LaboysToy
LaboysToy is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Did you go to White Plains Buick GMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVu View Post
I just had a full transmission service done, just over 50k miles.. They changed the fluid, filter, and added a tranny cooler for just over $250.. Well worth having the dealer do it for me, based on the lengthy procedure in my service manual in the car, along with all the specialty tools it says are needed to do the job properly (took them the better part of the day).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LaboysToy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LaboysToy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LaboysToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

For anyone that happens to look at this that has the V-6 with six speed transmission. No filter access, can only be changed on disassembly. Bottom of transmission case has a drain plug, easy job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
QuantumRift
QuantumRift is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

New(er) vehicles have transmissions that can go 100K or more miles before service is needed. Check the level, visually look at the fluid and smell it. Tranny fluid has a reddish tint (not brown, etc) and looks like a lightweight red oil. IT should not have a burnt or sour smell; it should have a somewhat 'sweet' oil odor. If it looks clean, it is clean. And you can learn the smell from the clean fluid. IF you ever encounter 'bad' fluid, you'll immediately know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuantumRift's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuantumRift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
neilpilot

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumRift View Post
New(er) vehicles have transmissions that can go 100K or more miles before service is needed. Check the level, visually look at the fluid and smell it. Tranny fluid has a reddish tint (not brown, etc) and looks like a lightweight red oil. IT should not have a burnt or sour smell; it should have a somewhat 'sweet' oil odor. If it looks clean, it is clean. And you can learn the smell from the clean fluid. IF you ever encounter 'bad' fluid, you'll immediately know.
Why post a response if you have nothing to offer? Your posting is very true, but totally useless as it relates to this discussion. You apparently have no experience or information to offer regarding DYI fluid change in the XE 4cyl automatic. You obviously have no idea that this transmission does not offer a means to "Check the level, visually look at the fluid and smell it. " by any conventional means. Did you even read the postings above??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
QuantumRift
QuantumRift is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Oh, a flamer - Uh, why do YOU post a response if all YOU have to offer is a personal attack? I wasn't aware this was your personal forum. My apologies. But I digress......

I have wrenched on my own vehicles for 40 years; I've done everything from simple oil changes to complete engine rebuilds/overhauls and restorations.

If the VUE is a tow vehicle, it's GOOD to be very proactive with the tranny fluid; if it's used in extreme climates (such as AZ where I lived for 24 years), its good to change it more often. We currently own a 2012 Genesis, an 04 Envoy XUV and an old 1990 Isuzu pickup truck (200,000 miles which is my daily driver) that I maintain myself (other than warranty issues on the new vehicle). As for checking fluid, as there is way to ADD fluid (according per manual) there is a way to CHECK the fluid.

THe 08 VUE Manual recommends that severe transmission use fluid change is recommended at 50,000 mile intervals; and it defines severe service as (one or more of the following conditions): Heavy city traffic where outside or ambient temps exceed 90 deg F (which describes most of Arizona ), hilly or mountainous terrain, frequent trailer towing, and uses such as taxi, police, delivery service.

The normal service interval is 100,000 miles. Now, that's not to say that at 101,000 miles the transmission will cease to function. Or even 110,000 or 120,000. Or better yet, I recommend to have an oil analysis done of the fluid itself; I often use oil analysis of my engine oil and transmission fluid (on the 04 Envoy) to really determine if a change is needed. Many shops, to include dealers, will recommend 'changing fluids' because they make money on it. And $250 is a LOT to spend on a fluid change. That's why I recommend an oil analysis as it will TELL you if the fluid needs to be changed. I'd rather spend $30 to tell me the tranny fluid is FINE than to take a shop's recommendation and spend $250 and it not being needed. Mea Culpa for not recommending this in my original message.

I (and my wrenching friends) use Blackstone Labs and have been pleased with their service.

Google Search for "automotive transmission oil fluid analysis"

We got the 08 VUE XE this past Jan 28 for my 83 yr old mom to drive to replace her 04 VUE that was totalled in accident. I'd assisted my folks in maintaining her vehicle, however, the 08 is different than the 04. The XE was obtained from a local dealer, and its one-dealer history indicates it never had a tranny fluid change. It has 72K on it and the first thing I did was inspect the transmission fluid, and its in excellent condition. So yes, I have not had the SPECIFIC opportunity to put the 08 Saturn up on my shop lift and change the transmission fluid; nor could I find any reference to one on YouTube (a GREAT SOURCE from DIYers on many aspects of automotive repair). So when I do get it up in the air and change the tranny fluid, I'll post pictures here.

This forum is for an exchange of information, ideas, and opinions. It really does not matter if you deem my (or anybody's messages here) are of value or not. Oh, and you are welcome to simply IGNORE my 'useless' posts as well.

As an addendum, here is a good site for videos as well; unfortunately there is no 08 VUE tranny fluid video.

CarCareKiosk (again add the www and com - can't post URLs yet )

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpilot View Post
Why post a response if you have nothing to offer? Your posting is very true, but totally useless as it relates to this discussion. You apparently have no experience or information to offer regarding DYI fluid change in the XE 4cyl automatic. You obviously have no idea that this transmission does not offer a means to "Check the level, visually look at the fluid and smell it. " by any conventional means. Did you even read the postings above??

Last edited by QuantumRift; 02-28-2013 at 10:09 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuantumRift's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuantumRift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
neilpilot

2008 VUE 2.4L

Sorry I didn't realize you were such an expert. Maybe you can help me determine how I can reasonably inspect the condition or level of the tranny fluid in my 4cyl XE? There's no dip stick. I know you can use a pump to draw a sample, but if I go through all that trouble just to have the fluid analyzed I'd prefer just to make the change. At 75k for me, based on experience and my driving conditions.

BTW I'm well aware of oil analysis. I use Blackstone testing when I change my airplane oil. While I consider this a good way to track the condition engine internals, I would never delay an oil change based on test results. [Talking about the airplane]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!