SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default bad upper strut mount diagnosis & repair cost

on a 2001 sc2 if your upper strut mounts go bad what's the symptoms & expected repair cost from a garage? my front end is doing something wierd these days & i know something is wrong up there. my steering was checked out in may & they said the steering was tight no problems found. the car has low mileage on it, 50.000 miles & it's hard to believe they could be bad already......

would like to hear from fellow members with the same car who had theirs repaired by a garage recently....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: bad upper strut mount diagnosis & repair cost

If im not mistaken, struts are recommended every 50k so maybe its time for new ones.

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

I wouldn't expect strut mounts to be bad at only 50k miles, but it's possible. I did mine at around 90k miles (only symptom was an odd noise).

Struts also rarely go bad that soon--I've never replaced struts (or shocks) in less than 100k miles (I think the strut makers recommend 75,000 miles, and they're just trying to sell them...). Struts are easy to check--bounce the car up and down--if it stops within 1-2 more cycles, they struts are fine, if they're not leaking fluid (just look at them).

At just 50k miles, most of your suspension and steering components should still be pretty good: I think it might be more likely that something was left loose when a repair was done. What are the symptoms?

The above is not necessarily true if you drive too fast on very rough roads...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
cola
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

When the front mounts went on my '98 they made alot of clunking/rattling noises. It drove and road fine, but there was alot of noise from up front.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
When the front mounts went on my '98 they made alot of clunking/rattling noises. It drove and road fine, but there was alot of noise from up front.
That's the same symptoms I had, I think. It wasn't nearly as bad, with a passenger (vs just me as the driver). (I tried taking someone for a ride, for help diagnosing, and it wouldn't do it, then.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

ya when i drive mostly slow or coast i hear a slight clunking noise from the front & when i turn the wheels i hear sometimes a faint groan. this started after i got a new job requiring me to drive through a very bad bumpy road area. i wonder if that aggravated the situation. the steering front end was checked out & i was told was tight. i wonder if they checked the strut mounts. i should go back there & talk to the mechanic who looked at my car a while back. the car otherwise drive perfect with no pull or wander at all.

what can i expect to pay for new mounts by a garage? maybe it's only 1 of them also??

these are just bearing races right? they allow the strut to rotate? maybe the bearings are shot. i know under the hood the bolts are tight & not rusted at all....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

I bought KYB mounts for my car and they were around $35 each. There are cheaper one's out, but if you plan on keeping it for some time I would spend the extra.

The total will depend on what the shop charges for 1 hour of work and for a alignment.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
I bought KYB mounts for my car and they were around $35 each. There are cheaper one's out, but if you plan on keeping it for some time I would spend the extra.

The total will depend on what the shop charges for 1 hour of work and for a alignment.
well i was hoping someone here recently had their car's replaced & could give me what they paid. just curious as i want to get it fixed soon....

if it only takes them an hour it can't be a really big job then....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
well i was hoping someone here recently had their car's replaced & could give me what they paid. just curious as i want to get it fixed soon....

if it only takes them an hour it can't be a really big job then....

No, it is pretty easy. If you have the time I would just do it my self. There are a total of 6 bolts to remove + the wheel.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
No, it is pretty easy. If you have the time I would just do it my self. There are a total of 6 bolts to remove + the wheel.
well how is it totally done then?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
well how is it totally done then?
1. Jack car up and remove the tire on the effected side.
2. Remove the 3 nuts holding the strut to the tower in the engine bay.
3. Remove the 2 bolts holding the strut to tue knuckle.
4. Compress the spring and remove the nut holding the strut mount to the strut.
5. Install the new mount, torque down the holding the mount then release the spring compressor.
6. ReInstall strut and get it aligned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
1. Jack car up and remove the tire on the effected side.
2. Remove the 3 nuts holding the strut to the tower in the engine bay.
3. Remove the 2 bolts holding the strut to tue knuckle.
4. Compress the spring and remove the nut holding the strut mount to the strut.
5. Install the new mount, torque down the holding the mount then release the spring compressor.
6. ReInstall strut and get it aligned.
yikes! i think i will let a garage do it especially when your compressing springs. anyway it probably will need an alignment anyway. this should not cost that much from a garage then i would think....

anyway i don't even know if they are bad. is there play in the strut if they are? can i be able to grab the strut & shake it to feel play if they are bad? i don't want to just replace them on a guess....

a garage did check my steering & told me it's tight, but i wonder if they checked the strut mounts. you would think that should be part of a steering check right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

No, the strut won't have play in it. Most of the time the bearing race comes apart and allows the balls in the bearing assembly to move freely. This causes them to hit each other and the bearing sides. Thats where some of the noise comes from. There is really no way to check other than taking it apart.

I would expect to pay around $175-$250 for a shop to do it. The main cost is coming from the alignment.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
No, the strut won't have play in it. Most of the time the bearing race comes apart and allows the balls in the bearing assembly to move freely. This causes them to hit each other and the bearing sides. Thats where some of the noise comes from. There is really no way to check other than taking it apart.

I would expect to pay around $175-$250 for a shop to do it. The main cost is coming from the alignment.
that's not bad. my steering makes a faint moaning noise & a clunk from the same place. it's got to be them. what else can do this if my steering checks out good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
that's not bad. my steering makes a faint moaning noise & a clunk from the same place. it's got to be them. what else can do this if my steering checks out good?

Does it make noise when you are driving in a straight line with no steering input? If so he really sounds like the strut mounts. If not it may be another issue(Tierod inner or outer, Ball Joint). Does the noise sound like it's up higher?

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Does it make noise when you are driving in a straight line with no steering input? If so he really sounds like the strut mounts. If not it may be another issue(Tierod inner or outer, Ball Joint). Does the noise sound like it's up higher?
my steering was checked out & is fine. the noise is high up under the hood it sounds like a faint occasional clunk & when the wheel is turned a faint groan or creek sometimes. i think they are in the early stages of wear out...

it's mostly noticed when i'm driving slow in a straigjht line with no steering input or no braking. when brakes are applied it stops, & also when the wheel is turned the clunk changes to a creek or groan...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
my steering was checked out & is fine. the noise is high up under the hood it sounds like a faint occasional clunk & when the wheel is turned a faint groan or creek sometimes. i think they are in the early stages of wear out...

it's mostly noticed when i'm driving slow in a straigjht line with no steering input or no braking. when brakes are applied it stops, & also when the wheel is turned the clunk changes to a creek or groan...

It's the strut mounts.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
It's the strut mounts.
i thought so. i want to change all my fluids before winter & soon get these looked at also. their not really that bad yet, i have some time.

i just noticed a change in my steering. sometimes it feels sort of stiff also. when i hear those clunks it sort of feels like someone is tapping on my steering wheel. i guess it's my car's way of telling me there is something wrong up there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Someone here, and I can't remember who, said that the KYB strut mounts weren't the best. I'm running the KYB mounts on the front of the 95 SC2 and they seem to be doing fine, but if the Moogs are less $ then you may want to look at those.

Keep in mind that if this is your only car, you will want to do the research and find out what tools you will need for dissassembly, such as a T45 for the top of the KYB struts, which is different from factory and most others.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely after 34K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #20
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Someone here, and I can't remember who, said that the KYB strut mounts weren't the best. I'm running the KYB mounts on the front of the 95 SC2 and they seem to be doing fine, but if the Moogs are less $ then you may want to look at those.
I've heard the same thing, but never any reason, or first-hand complaints. I also have the KYB mounts (on KYB struts), and I haven't had any trouble with them, so far (but it's only been 20-30k miles). I've only heard good things about Moog. If they're in the same price range, I would go with them (hadn't heard about problems with KYB until after I got mine).

Oh yeah: it definitely sounds like strut mounts, to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!