SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
jprice30
jprice30 is on a distinguished road

Attention Don't buy 2002-2005 Vue

Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jprice30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jprice30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jprice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Don't buy 2002-2005 Vue

We can all understand and sympathize with you. It stinks.

BUT... One thread is sufficient to alert us (the forums) to the issue.

AND... You're a little late... Almost everyone on these forums knows of the issues with the VTI transmission. As I said in your other thread, all it took was a quick google search of "Saturn Vue Problems" and I was made aware of the issue/models effected and was able to avoid it.

I'm sorry about your vehicle, I hope you get it worked out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Happy with my 2003 V6 VUE

I have a 2003 V6 AWD. It is not a VTi.

I am quite happy with my 03. It has 134,000 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
surfstar
surfstar is on a distinguished road

Learn to drive a stick. My '05 2.2L should go a long time without any transmission problems.

I agree it does suck for original owners who bought VTi's before any reliability reports came out. GM should have extended the warranty on them to 100k miles and sucked it up.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
GM should have extended the warranty on them to 100k miles and sucked it up.
Yeah, especially since it really would have come out of uncle sams pocket eventually anyway...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
Learn to drive a stick. My '05 2.2L should go a long time without any transmission problems.

I agree it does suck for original owners who bought VTi's before any reliability reports came out. GM should have extended the warranty on them to 100k miles and sucked it up.
They did. People still weren't satisfied. Go figure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice30 View Post
I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because My car is only worth $6500.
I'm surprised that it's worth $6500; you should be happy with that. Scrap value isn't much above $250.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neilpilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Wasn't GM giving 5K trade in of VTi Vues towards something else? I'd check into that. Your only other alternative is to junk it, trade it in or park it in the worst part of town unlocked and pray that it gets stolen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Why can't he just pop in the manual transmission? There's gotta be plenty available in the junk yards. No computer issues that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Jess Lookin
Jess Lookin is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

My wife and I love her 02 V6 AWD. I believe the 4 bangers were the only ones with the VTI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jess Lookin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jess Lookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Lookin View Post
My wife and I love her 02 V6 AWD. I believe the 4 bangers were the only ones with the VTI.
Yeah, title is very misleading should read 4 cylinder automatic Vue from those years.

If you bought yours new, or before all the problems started I feel for you, you really got the shaft.
However, those people who have bought them used in the last couple of years and then come here and ask after the fact if there is anything to worry about......well I don't have quite the same level of sympathy, when buying a used car you must do your homework FIRST.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue in Ontario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue in Ontario View Post
Yeah, title is very misleading should read 4 cylinder automatic Vue from those years.

If you bought yours new, or before all the problems started I feel for you, you really got the shaft.
However, those people who have bought them used in the last couple of years and then come here and ask after the fact if there is anything to worry about......well I don't have quite the same level of sympathy, when buying a used car you must do your homework FIRST.
AMEN. I have never understood why people always wonder if they made a good vehicle choice AFTER they buy it.

I always at minimum do a google search for problems before I buy any used vehicle. Considering it takes virtually no time and it can save you a world of problems down the road, there is no reason to not research before you buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

We purchased a 2003 VUE with VTI and we didn't have it long. We only put 19K on ours before we starting having issues (well documented on these forums). Our transmission blew up once and IMO was on the way out again. But the lemon laws really do protect the auto makers. Unless the dealership says you have an issue you don't have any. We took a hit and traded it for a 2004 5 speed VUE. We still have it and it has 178K on it and still going strong. The only unexpected repair we have had was when the ICM went out but that was due to my lack of maintenance when we didn't get our 100K tuneup.

So the 75K warranty on the VTI is no longer valid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
AMEN. I have never understood why people always wonder if they made a good vehicle choice AFTER they buy it.

I always at minimum do a google search for problems before I buy any used vehicle. Considering it takes virtually no time and it can save you a world of problems down the road, there is no reason to not research before you buy.
When we bought the Outlander I went in knowing more about the vehicle than the salesman (not a hard thing to do). When we took our extended test drive and went to IKEA, I was on my phone looking up everything I could about the car and what issues it could have.

We liked the car, I found no major issues to worry about, and so we bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
jnuss2000
jnuss2000 is on a distinguished road

Saturn sent out letters about the transmissions and the extended warranty on them. Not sure if the extended warranty has lapsed, but the GM dealers should know about it. We got one on my Vue and my son got one on his Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnuss2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnuss2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnuss2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

I'd always wanted a Vue, but wasn't in the mood to pay for the V6 or deal with the AWD. I wanted utility and fuel economy so that meant 4cyl and FWD. I did my google search and found the Vue's I was interested in had tranny problems so when I came across my 04 with a 5spd, I jumped on it. Its great fun to drive, gets double the mileage of my old Exploder and hopefully will last.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Leonard1818

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejscarfo View Post
I'd always wanted a Vue, but wasn't in the mood to pay for the V6 or deal with the AWD. I wanted utility and fuel economy so that meant 4cyl and FWD. I did my google search and found the Vue's I was interested in had tranny problems so when I came across my 04 with a 5spd, I jumped on it. Its great fun to drive, gets double the mileage of my old Exploder and hopefully will last.
What's there to "deal with" in regards to the AWD? (Besides better go in the snow)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
vuefrommidwest
vuefrommidwest is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Couldn't you just swap in the 4 speed hydramatic?
There are plenty of these in salvage yards.. looks like it wouldn't cost any more to do this than to buy a rebuilt...probably lmuch less if you have a good independent mechanic...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vuefrommidwest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vuefrommidwest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vuefrommidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

I knew I wanted a Vue...but I did my research first, and had a buddy that worked for Saturn and he shared his experiences with the reasons they came in for repairs.

The Honda powertrain was the only way i'd go. being in NY, i just need the AWD, too. It took a good month of looking at online inventories and driving around to find the one I did. And for the price, I bought it, and brought it home the same day I went!

I've gotta say i'm extremely happy with it. I knew of the front end creaks, but there are worse issues with other vehicles, and I've been replacing what I have to as it's got 121K now, and want it to last longer.

It's been a pretty cheap fixes, up until the point i've been lately, but that was another mechanics fault, and i opted to pull it out that shop and take it somewhere else and start over. $400+ for my Vue to finally be done, and done right!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
gumbyrun
gumbyrun is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2009 VUE 3.0L

WE bought a 2003 new with the VTI while living in South Carolina. My oldest daughter now has it and it has about 130k. At 98k or so, she said the tranny was cting up and took it to the dealer. Guess what. No problem found. Now it is toasy and the local trans shoip quoted her 4k to fix it.
I contacted Saturn cust service via email and got a phone call in less than 24 hours. I was told that there is a "special department" handling these claims. Its possible they will cover 50%, even at 130K, assuming the dealer she took it to logged the repair order in the computer. Time will tell.
The woman in customer service was very polite and personable. Time will tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gumbyrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gumbyrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gumbyrun is offline   Reply With Quote