SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
craeshe
craeshe is on a distinguished road

Wrench P0442 + Ramdon Idle Problems + Random Start Problems

Hey Guys! First time to the forums posting, but I have definitely gotten a lot of information from the sight. Here's the problem that only Saturn fans like yourselves can help me with.

Bought a 2001 SC2, 60,000 miles. Within the second week, the Service Engine light came on, checked it at Auto Zone, got the P0442. I replaced the Fuel Cap and reset the car by unplugging the battery. The light went off for about 800 miles, then reappeared today! Among all of this starting in the first week of purchase, the car would idle funny: As in staying at 2k-rpm unless I pressed the gas to make it go higher, then it would settle correctly back at about 900. It has also been starting very funny. Occasionally, it seems that when I start it, it wants to die within the first 3 or 4 seconds of the start, and sometimes it does just that...dies. It 'seems' to do this when the car has been used a couple times.....ie went to the store --> turned it off, then went to the movies ---> turned it off...then about the 3+ time, it will start the description above.

Ultimate question: Can this all be because of a vacuum leak? If I fix the vacuum leak, do you think the other problems would go away?

Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Last edited by craeshe; 09-01-2011 at 01:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craeshe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craeshe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craeshe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0442 + Ramdon Idle Problems + Random Start Problems

An intake vacuum leak is possible and the high RPM idle sounds like a bad TPS. The TPS should be an OEM part so get a replacement at the local Junk Yard. Aftermarket part is not worth the cost. You want a TPS from either a SOHC or DOHC 00-02 car. Then you need to check the intake for a vacuum leak. Check that the small vacuum line from the throttle body is connected to the purge solenoid located above the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
craeshe

As a simpler person who doesn't know too much about the tech part of your answer. How do I test for a leak? Do I need to take it to a shop and have it lifted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help craeshe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Get car warm and idling and then lightly spray brake cleaner along the joint between the manifold and head. I f there is a leak and you hit it the idle will change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
craeshe

Thanks for a quick response. If it is a leak in the EVAP, could it be why the car dies or has problems starting as stated in my first post?...Or does that sound more like a fuel filter/pump issue?

Craeshe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Check that the vacuum line from the throttle body is attached to the purge solenoid, if it is not then you get the 442 leak code. The purge solenoid is on the back of the block just above the starter.

Last edited by OldNuc; 09-02-2011 at 08:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
craeshe

Possibly fixed! I replaced the ECTS and the rev'ing problem went away. Now I am waiting for the SES light to go away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you want to clear the codes yourself just pull the PCM B fuse for a couple of minutes and put it back. It is in the engine fuse box and the diagram is in the lid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!