SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Plastic valve cover bolts arer bolts are different size than aluminum cover bolts

I think I've found this out the hard way. I've been struggling with valve cover leaks. When I bought my aluminum cover it did not come with bolts so I've been using the plastic cover bolts. Today I took off work to try to get caught up with all the work my SC2 needs (thankfully new stuff started to break as I drove so there is still stuff). I went out to PnP and took some bolts off an aluminum cover. Looking at them closely the collar on the plastic bolt is much longer than the collar on the aluminum head bolt. Its long enough that I suspect it was bottoming out before max squeeze was achieved on the gasket. I've got my fingers triple crossed that I won't guzzle oil tomorrow.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Plastic valve cover bolts arer bolts are different size than aluminum cover bolts

Yes, the plastic shoulder bolt assembly is different than the aluminum cover bolt. I thought that was mentioned in the cover conversion thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Plastic valve cover bolts arer bolts are different size than aluminum cover bolts

The Aluminum Cover bolts are Torx Head bolts while 2nd/3rd gen cam cover bolts are standard 10MM bolts.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The Aluminum Cover bolts are Torx Head bolts while 2nd/3rd gen cam cover bolts are standard 10MM bolts.
Yea, that part was obvious. What was not obvious was that the difference effects the bolt's performance. BTW someone is going to go to PnP and wonder who the AHole was the took the bolts but left the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Those bolts are expensive so they go fast. And they are a different height than the plastic cover ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Those bolts are expensive so they go fast. And they are a different height than the plastic cover ones.
I actually called the dealer to ask about price but 95 showed 2 styles for aluminum covers (or so the parts guy claimed). Honestly the PnP is less than 10 miles but my days are so booked that I try to avoid them simply because of the time required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I actually called the dealer to ask about price but 95 showed 2 styles for aluminum covers (or so the parts guy claimed).
The parts guy is wrong. 1994 had two different styles.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

At PnP they were $1.35 each. It was 99c plus tax and environmental fee.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
At PnP they were $1.35 each. It was 99c plus tax and environmental fee.
They actually charged you for them? At the PnP's around here, you show them the bolts, they look at you and point towards the exit.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote