SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default What causes a catalytic converter to go bad?

Hey everybody! I'm assuming that position(bent over and ankle grabbing) $1679.00 to replace the cat converter.(bank1, left). Did this at Midas Muffler for $804.00 a few years ago, so you can guess that I'm not a happy camper! I've switched from 87 octane to 93 octane, kept this vehicle tuned up, and the vehicle fails the annual emission test here in the People's Republic of Fulton Co. Ga. Several people I know are also having this expensive and unpleasant experience. Is it this ethanol crap or a history of cheap premium fuel? Angry and broke!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zeissheadreggie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zeissheadreggie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: What causes a catalytic converter to go bad?

If your vehicle requires regular, the changing to a higher octane will do nothing, other than lighten your wallet. I've only had 1 go bad and that was caused by the inner wall of the head pipe collapsing due to corrosion and plugging it up. It was covered by the 8 yr. 80,000 warranty on emission equipt. From what I've found the ethanol does not cause a problem with them. Some parts store fuel additives are bad for converters as is excessive heat and excess fuel going out the exhaust. So if your vehicle is running rich (bad injectors, bad O2 sensor, etc.) that would be damaging to the converter. Maybe your emission station has a deal with the repair shop to say your converter is bad and doesn't pass so they make money replacing good parts??? The only other thing would be physical damage from hitting something, that could cause the catylist material to break up and plug it. If you haven't tried, do a Google search and see what comes up. Good luck

HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HerBabyTruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HerBabyTruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: What causes a catalytic converter to go bad?

I'm sure the ethanol isn't good for them (it's pretty much bad for every part on the car it touches).

That seems like a lot to change the cat converters, and very strange to have them fail. Especially seeing as there's 4 of them. 2 in the exhaust manifold, and 2 in the J pipes.

I'd wager to say there's something fishy going on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissheadreggie View Post
Hey everybody! I'm assuming that position(bent over and ankle grabbing) $1679.00 to replace the cat converter.(bank1, left). Did this at Midas Muffler for $804.00 a few years ago, so you can guess that I'm not a happy camper! I've switched from 87 octane to 93 octane, kept this vehicle tuned up, and the vehicle fails the annual emission test here in the People's Republic of Fulton Co. Ga. Several people I know are also having this expensive and unpleasant experience. Is it this ethanol crap or a history of cheap premium fuel? Angry and broke!!!
As for the price, I'm told the front everything from the front of the system has to be replaced. Midas muffler appears to either improperly install this thing wrong, or not replace the O2 sensor, but it's all got to be replaced! If I feel like I'm getting screwed, it's a very good chance that I am getting screwed....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zeissheadreggie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zeissheadreggie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote