SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Hands Free Phone Without On-Star?

I have been on the road a lot recently with work and need to use my phone hands free as, in most states/provinces now, there are laws about using your phone whilst driving.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the hands free system in the Aura (Mine's an 07 XR) without going through the On-Star system.

Reading the handbook it looks like you have to have On-Star to access the hands free system, which means I will be paying for something I don't want or have any intention of using.
Seems such a waste not to be able to use the hands free on the car.

Anyone have any idea if it is workable without On-Star?

If not I will buy an aftermarket Hands Free kit rather than pay On-Star.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Hands Free Phone Without On-Star?

I used to have a parrot system installed in my car but it sucked compared to using a headset. Now I use the isimple iphone kit with bluetooth. It integrates ipod to the car radio and had bluetooth for calls. Takes some time to install it. Search this forum for bluetooth install and you will find my post about installing my parrot system. The isimple is pretty much the same for install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm not sure if the set-up on my Aura (a 2009 XR V6) is the same as your 2007 XR, but I do have and use the factory handsfree bluetooth. I do not subscribe to Onstar. I just have to remember to set my phone to bluetooth when I enter the car, and switch it off when I exit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glasact's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
gpartrid
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

As a member mentioned above, (some of) the '09's have the bluetooth radio which will do the hands-free. Otherwise, you're looking at an after-market unit. There are several members here who've done the after-market bluetooth or, you could potentially get the OEM '09 bluetooth radio for the Aura. However, I don't know if it would be compatible with the '07's or '08's. I'm confident someone will shed some light on this for you.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Kybuck
Kybuck will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR

I think I remember reading that you need the entire OnStar module from an '09 or newer to get the bluetooth, not just the radio.

I personally installed PAC Audio's BLU-GM11, along with the Ego Talk bluetooth kit, and it works reasonably well. You will have to run the microphone separately, but I was able to mount mine right above the rearview mirror and run the wire in the headliner, so it blends right in.

Shop around a bit, as I saved almost 50% off MSRP for both items (shipping included).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kybuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kybuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I remember reading that about the built in bluetooth too that the entire system needs to be replaced. I am still digging the isimple kit, I like the bluetooth audio streaming and bluetooth calling. It works pretty well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
gpartrid
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I forgot to mention that the OnStar hands-free phone system uses Verizon. I had inquired about that when I first got my Aura. I was told by OnStar that if I had a cell plan with Verizon, I could bundle my minutes together with the OnStar system. That might be an option for you if your cell plan is with Verizon.

Yesterday, I finally got around to pairing my phone and bluetooth on one of my other vehicles and it's awesome! (I know. I know. I'm a little behind on this). I had no idea of how this works and it really is pretty cool.

For those that don't know how this works (older owners or the technologically disinclined): once you paired your bluetooth capable cell phone with your vehicle's bluetooth (just by going to the appropriate menu on your cell phone an pressing either the "seek" or "pair" button, it will pair up with your vehicle's bluetooth. Once this has been accomplished, you can place a call from your cell phone by selecting or dialing the number, and it'll run through your vehicle's speakers hands-free and will deduct the minutes from your phone. When you're in your car and someone calls you on your cell, it'll automatically be channeled through your hands-free Onstar system and also deduct minutes from you phone. I haven't figured out how to transfer my phone book or have the system access my phonebook via voice command - if that's even possible. I'm going to have to read up whether that's possible.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. this gives me quite a few options.
I will try them out and see what works for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote