SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
boilerroom6
boilerroom6 is on a distinguished road

Default Need Help! Quad Driver (Main Computer Failure) '96 SL2

I have been having alot of problems with really rough and sputtering idles and decreased performance for a while now, and I finally brought it into a shop, and the codes that came back repeatdely after clearing were : 1651D and 1650C. Apparently that is both Quad Drivers failiing which only can be replaced by a new main computer. This is with the blinking SERVICE light, not the Service Engine Soon light. Anyways, this isn't the part i have questions on, what i need to know is if i can put a saturn computer from a similar saturn into mine and have it reprogrammed and will it work? I have a lead on a '96 auto computer, but i have a manual. If its reprogrammed, does it really matter about the specifics as long as its an SL Saturn computer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boilerroom6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boilerroom6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boilerroom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Need Help! Quad Driver (Main Computer Failure) '96 SL2

There is nothing wrong with the computer, PCM. Those are both the same failure.

Burned out SES light
Burned out upshift lamp
Cooling fan Relay
A/C relay

Open, short to ground or short to voltage will set these codes. First is to actually watch the lamp test when the key is first turned to RUN but not crank and verify that both the SES and Upshift ( if manual trans.) come on and the upshift goes off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
boilerroom6

I am having significant idiling problems as, how is that related, the claim is that the pcm is sending bad firing info to the coils.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help boilerroom6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Your idle is not related to the 1650-1651 code. You need to address the cause of the 1650. This could be a short between 2 wires. The PCM is NOT the problem and you are being given bad, expensive advice.

Turn the car OFF, wait 1 minute, Turn key to RUN but not CRANK. Check your dash indicator lights. Pay attention to the SES, Service light, Low fuel, Upshift, Coolant level/Temperature lights. When the test completes you should have the following illuminated, SES, Battery, Oil. You said the Service was flashing, at what rate?

As to your PCM question. A 96 or 97 DOHC Manual PCM may be programmed for your car. It will have to be programmed to function correctly

The 1650/1651 monitors only 4 items. SES light, Upshift light, FAN relay coil, A/C relay coil. The code will set (P1650) and illuminate the Service Light for open circuit, short to ground, short to voltage. And also, the SES function will transfer to the Service light if the SES is open or shorted to ground or voltage.

The poor idle could be plugs and wires, ECTS, or ICM/Coils. Correct plugs are NGK BKR5ESA-11, no platinum plugs. Flashing SES/Service light could be a misfire or the cycling of the quad driver due to a short to ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
boilerroom6

I dont know how to thank you for your advice, and yes, it is blinking at about a second per blink cycle. It only does it sometimes though. I turned it to run, no crank, and the SES light did NOT turn on, but the upshift and Service light did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

First nasty little job is to replace the SES bulb then. How to get at it. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...99cluster.html
And search YouTube for richpin06a saturn for the listing of DIY videos. You will want to watch these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXiwgm3bPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWe8Vgan6k

Once the bulb is replaced and the KEY ON test pases then go out and pull the PCM B fuse from the engine compartment fuse box and leave it out for about 1 minute and then replace it. Drive car and if/when the SES comes on go to the parts store and get the codes read. Post the numbers back here and we can figure out why it runs poorly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
boilerroom6

Will doo! I noticed that the low fuel light never comes on in any part of the process...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerroom6 View Post
Will doo! I noticed that the low fuel light never comes on in any part of the process...
There is no Low fuel light on a 96. I usually mention it as a force of habit. When you get the bulb replaced for the SES light just plug the cluster back in and cycle the key to ON and check that everything works before stuffing it all back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

Well I have friend's 99 coupe with the same codes, we picked up quad PCM at the JY for his, just $22 bucks but I told him to check the bulbs, luckily they have a return policy for store credit, thanks Nuc was going to ask the say ? but if u swap pcm's do u have to get it reflashed of just plug and play ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When swapping PCMs what you have to do depends. If it is an automatic you will probably have to get it reflashed as you have to clear the initial set of trans adaptives and the dealer will charge you the same for both. Sometimes you have to do a crank relearn also. If all the options match and you do not end up with a auto trans that is slamming gears or a random misfire code then it works. It depends on the year also but generally it is plug and play.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 1650/1651 codes are bulbs and relays. The actual quad drivers are overload protected and very difficult to kill. So, where ever the latest FUD that the PCM is borked is just wrong info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
When swapping PCMs what you have to do depends. If it is an automatic you will probably have to get it reflashed as you have to clear the initial set of trans adaptives and the dealer will charge you the same for both. Sometimes you have to do a crank relearn also. If all the options match and you do not end up with a auto trans that is slamming gears or a random misfire code then it works. It depends on the year also but generally it is plug and play.
Well we have access to a tech 2 scanner, sure ur familiar with them, and I can get on GM Service Info that has all the tech stuff I would need, but the coupe we got it out of has same options, told him to check the bulbs first but he's a busy guy, lol, helping others first . Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I put a '94 SC2 PCM in my '93 SL2 after a 5spd swap. Just plug-n-play for that year range at least, 'cause that's all I did before topping out ~12mph higher then with the SL2 pcm on the test drive

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
boilerroom6

Alright, so i just replaced the SES light, it was indeed burnt out, and i pulled the fuse you indicated above, the 5 AMP fuse in the engine compartment, all of the them actually, the book is really ambiguous. Anyways, they were pulled and put back in, and now the Service Light comes on after a while of driving and the SES light remains on. I am going to have it read hopefully tomorrow. Any advice for the next steps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, get the SES code read and bring the number back here. The service light is not a serious problem and it may be solved by addressing the SES. Look in the cover of the fuse box, there is a diagram.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
boilerroom6

Alright, I got a P1336 code out of the SES, service light remains on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When you first turn the car on does the SES come on and flash? If so you can fix this yourself.
This is the procedure, read through it and if any questions post back.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=52183

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
boilerroom6

No, the SES stays steady, I erased the code, and it came back right away. Now the service light blinks all the time while driving. Its running aweful, lots of smoke, bad idle, and boggy pickup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Let the engine warm up and then turn it off. Let it set for about 3-5 minutes. Start it up. As son as the service or SES starts flashing rev it up to 3000 - 3500 RPM and hold it there. See if it will learn the notches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
boilerroom6

Now both lights are staying steady, but I still did the above procedure, it just smoked an aweful.amount and runs just as bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!