SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
cvanloon
cvanloon is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Can NOT get the drum off the rear brakes

I've been having a really hard time getting the drum off the drum break assembly on a 2001 saturn sl2 sedan. Is there any tricks you guys could give to get it off.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cvanloon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cvanloon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cvanloon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Can NOT get the drum off the rear brakes

have to ask is the e-brake on? aside from that, grab a mallet and hit each opposite top and bottom till it loosens till where you can pull it off.(attempt to hit the lip of the drum on the top and bottoms to break the friction bond.)

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Everything you can break is cheap to replace, the most expensive being the drum @ $20

The star wheel is pretty much inaccessable so you can't back the shoes off the drum and they usually wear a pretty good ridge into the lip of the drum that you have to force over the shoes.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A BIG HEAVY f*#%@$! hammer and maybe a disposable small diameter steel shaft or piece of 2x4. The shaft end or 2x4 butt end placed on the lip of the drum so you can swing the BFH against the shaft/2x4 to push the drum off. Rotate the drum 120 degrees to hit again or if it sticks, keep banging until the drum comes off. As the Star Wars line goes, "Use the Force Luke....".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
cvanloon

2001 SL2

All Good ideas but I have still had a hard time after doing them. I was wondering, could I drill a hole in the drum (i am going to replace them anyways) and then tap them. Get a long bolt and then tighten it in there pushing the the bolt against the back of the drum. Do you think this could work?

Thanks,

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cvanloon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanloon View Post
All Good ideas but I have still had a hard time after doing them. I was wondering, could I drill a hole in the drum (i am going to replace them anyways) and then tap them. Get a long bolt and then tighten it in there pushing the the bolt against the back of the drum. Do you think this could work?

Thanks,

Chris
i would try squirting in between the holes on the wheell some penetrating
oil and leave it overnight to soak in then com morning take a sledge
hammer and hit the inside rim as hard as YOU CAN!

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you hitting the drum correctly?
Attached Images
File Type: gif drum brake.gif (32.5 KB, 91 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
cvanloon

2001 SL2

Quote:

Thanks,

Chris
Any comments on this idea?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
trottida
Advanced Member
trottida will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1

Ok, this may sound bad but did you release the parking brake? This hung me up for a couple minutes when changing over my drums and pads.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (360,000 km @ 06/2014)
2005 Suburban Z71 (239,500 km @ 06/2014)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
johnny95sl2
Advanced Member
johnny95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Any comments on this idea?
This wont work. You need to spray some pbblaster/etc into the wheel stud holes, then beat the living hell out of the front of the drums on the edges. Use at least a 20lb sledge. This will release the rust bond between the drum and hub.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
driypyj925
driypyj925 is on a distinguished road

I actually had this problem about 3 days ago mine was stuck on after someone drove my 92 with the e brake on, the pad is just stuck in the drum because there's a groove worn into the drum so no matter how much you pull or whatever its not coming off. If yours is like mine and someone built the drum backwards you're not gonna find the star wheel to relieve the pads. The only way you can geet it off is by prying it apart. Don't bend the backpacking plate (at least not too bad to where its beyond repair), use a long screwdriver and hammer it between the drum and hub then pull back on the screwdriver. You might need to do it in 3 different spot to make it evenly come off the wheel studs. Make sure you buy a new hardware kit when you get your new pads because they aren't included.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to driypyj925's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help driypyj925 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
driypyj925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
Pitcher
Pitcher will become famous soon enoughPitcher will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1998 SC2

PB Blaster & a Sledge hammer!

'00 SL2. "Creampuff" 89 YO lady car. 20 oil changes 1st 33k miles. Now 77k. Penn. Ultra + M1-209.

'98 SC2 "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Pennzoil + Lubegard.

'01 10th Anniversary Edition!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

This might not work in your case but I've had success in the past (on other than Saturn) putting the wheel on and rocking in it side to side and up and down. Having the wheel on gives you better leverage. But, don't hit the wheel laterally with a hammer unless you want to buy a new one.

You might also try using a torch on the drum. The thermal stress may be enough to crack it.

Finally why not check with the service manager at a GM or brake shop to see what they recommend. Probably a waste of time but you never know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bernie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Luthin
Luthin is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Do you have a big enough puller to fit around the drum? I've done this in the past and it works wonders. PB Blaster it the night before and then take the puller to it the next day. Just keep cranking and eventually something has to give -- the something being the drum.

Not sure if this is recommended or what others think of this approach?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luthin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luthin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

As you are going to end up replacing everything except the backing plate anyway ti works fine if you have a puller large enough. Works best if you have an impact to drive the puller screw. Be warned that the screw threads rip off the cheap pullers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
fmctaurus
fmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

I don't know if it's applicable to Saturn drums, but check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-WXqIKjHQ

George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fmctaurus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fmctaurus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fmctaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
yooperfan
yooperfan is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I just got done taking the drums off of a 2001 SL2. What worked for me was to spray around the center hole of the drum to loosen it and 5 minutes with a BFH. I hit everywhere on the drum. To avoid hitting the studs, I put the lug nuts on part way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yooperfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yooperfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yooperfan is offline   Reply With Quote