SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
dapper
dapper is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Question can bad catalytic converter cause power and trans. problems

Own an sl1, 82k, bought used about 3 years ago. Have severe power problems, sometimes having problems going up even modest hills. Also recently, problems going into reverse (hard reverse, 1-2 sec. delay), going from 2-3 gear, and sometimes from 4-5 gear. took to transmission shop, after some time, came up with 2 problems. valve body for trans, and a partially clogged catalytic converter. he got codes for the solenoid (valve body), and a voltage drop (which he traced to corrosion on battery). Question, can the clogged converter be the only problem? I know it can cause power problems, but could it also be the cause of my 'seeming' trans. problems? He had to order the part, so it's not going to be done until tuesday, and I called another exhaust shop, and tomorrow morning he's going to check out the converter. He recommended holding off on any trans. repairs until converter problems is addressed. Any ideas? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dapper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dapper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dapper is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: can bad catalytic converter cause power and trans. problems

modify your profile so your make/model and region you live in automatically show up under your name on the left of these posts.

Remove your O2 sensor from your exhaust manifold and see if your power comes back. It will make quite a racket when you drive this way but it will tell us where we should be looking for a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
dapper

2002 SL1

Just got back from the exhaust shop; turns out the cat.converter is just fine, as is the entire exhaust system. he forgot to check the O2 sensors, they will do that monday, when they have an ase-certified mechanic on duty. I scheduled a diagnostic visit to see what he will find. I'm going to put off replacing the valve body until the results come back on this next visit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dapper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

When was the last time you had a tune up? If you dont believe that may be the issue, I would do a compression test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
dapper

2002 SL1

in terms of tuneup, I replaced plugs and wires at 70k, nothing else in that area. something new, the 'service engine soon' light just came on; hopefully this will point the way when its' checked out monday. I will ask them to do compression check. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
dapper

2002 SL1

the code I was getting was P0410. just came back from fasttrack (formerly my saturn dealer). The vacuum hose going into the air-pump (may not be describing it properly) had deteriorated-had a slit in it, and was almost ready to break off. He also checked O2 sensor, and did back-pressure-everthing good. Car runs much better now, and he suggested I not get the valve body replaced just yet. On the way home, the car shifted just right, and managed to climb some hills (for this car, that's a home-run!). so I'm going to wait, the 1st test will be tomorrow morning when car is cold, and I shift into reverse. If that's OK, then I might not need the valve body, after all. It's still hard for me to imagine any mechanic pointing a finger at the valve body without checking out other items that would also cause shift problems. But we'll see--will let you know. many thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
dapper

2002 SL1
Question Re: can bad catalytic converter cause power and trans. problems

Car ran great for 4 days-put 150 miles on it, shifted fine, even in reverse. On the 4th day while on the highway, I went to pass a truck, going around 55, stepped on accelerator, car 'jumped or lurched', would not engage in lower gear. Since then, car behaves like it did before, hard-reverse and all. It also sounds much louder and the power/performance problem seems to be back-but not quite so bad. I'm going to call fasttrack again, to set up another appmt, but boy, this is getting expensive. Before I go in, can anyone give any advise or thoughts why this car would perform great for 4 days, then all of a sudden, bang! If the valve-body is bad, how could it perform well for 4 days?? Thanks, again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Were all the vacuum lines checked for dry rot/deterioration and replaced to rule out any vacuum leaks?

Did you ever check fuel pressure with a pressure gauge?

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
richbrad08
richbrad08 is on a distinguished road

Catalytic converters don't typically fail, but they can become clogged.

Tachometer

Decreased engine power--indicated by low revolutions per minute (RPMs) on the tachometer--is a symptom of a bad catalytic converter.
Acceleration

Another sign of decreased engine power is hesitating or bucking when you try to accelerate.
Driving Uphill

The car may seem to lose some power when going uphill.
Temperature

If the engine runs hotter than usual but the cooling system is up to par, that may indicate catalytic converter problems.
Exhaust

Black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe may be a symptom of a bad catalytic converter.
Smell

A failing catalytic converter can cause a rich fuel mixture that makes the exhaust smell like rotten eggs from the hydrogen sulfide.

Read more: What Are the Symptoms of a Bad Catalytic Converter? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4856391_sy...#ixzz1WQcy7Duu

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richbrad08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richbrad08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote